Functioning as the Wrath *spoilers*

iamthehoyden

So I was thinking about Scourge (huge shocker there, I know), and what I know of the SW storyline (I haven't played SW past 10 as yet, but eventually....), and I was trying to work out how the Wrath functions. It would seem to me that the lack of emotions, taste, smell, color, touch, etc would be a handicap.

For one, how does a Sith who does not feel emotions function??? I mean, Sith pretty much get their power from emotions so how does that work? Does that apply to all emotions? I mean, Scourge mentions pursuing your fall from Jedi-goodness as something he's interested in for amusement's sake - amusement is emotion. And he gets irritated, nostalgic, angry, curious, etc...so what gives?

If you can't feel touch how do you interact with objects? Fight? Etc?

Is this effect limited to Scourge or will the new Wrath have to deal with it as well? And will Scourge lose this immortality/sensory deprivation now that there's a new Wrath? Would that mean insta-death or would it be more like coming out of stasis?

Scourge isn't like this because he is the Wrath

But because he killed all of the Dark Council for the Emperor and the Emperor did some kind of ritual to make him immortal with their life force.

Of course you can touch and use things and move your body if you don't feel anything. It might be a little dangerous, though, since you might touch something hot that burnes your skin or something like that.

I think Scourge can feel emotions, but no real pleasure. Or maybe onle shadows of emotions.

At a guess...

The emotion/passion thing is weird. I really have no idea how a Sith gets anything done when he can't experience the very thing that drives his power. It is possible that, while he can register any normal emotion, it doesn't really reach him. Like he can feel everything around the edges, but what used to be the core of him is just gone. Nothing lasts. Nothing satisfies. He can't even feel meaningfully sad about it; it simply is, and if he isn't actively thinking about it even that sense of loss vanishes.

As for the example of touch, I imagine that he can feel what is there or not there, what gives under pressure or what holds. But texture, perhaps some degree of temperature, any and all emotional associations with silk or skin or stone, that's gone. Material objects are no longer things of meaning. They just are.

Lord Scourge's state is not a condition of being the Wrath, it is a condition of being groomed and transformed by the Emperor with some wacky immortality thing. The player character doesn't get hit with that. I think the novel Revan is supposed to get into some of this, and I think the effect is not unique to one person in the galaxy; that is, Scourge won't lose it if the new Wrath gets it.

Scourge isn't like this because he is the Wrath

But because he killed all of the Dark Council for the Emperor and the Emperor did some kind of ritual to make him immortal with their life force.

Interesting. I did not know that, that makes a lot of sense. (And makes me less worried over the SW's future.) So really the only way he'd lose this immortality/sensory deprivation thing would be for the ritual to be somehow reversed.

At a guess...

The emotion/passion thing is weird. I really have no idea how a Sith gets anything done when he can't experience the very thing that drives his power. It is possible that, while he can register any normal emotion, it doesn't really reach him. Like he can feel everything around the edges, but what used to be the core of him is just gone. Nothing lasts. Nothing satisfies. He can't even feel meaningfully sad about it; it simply is, and if he isn't actively thinking about it even that sense of loss vanishes.

Like that numbness that sets in when you've had one too many emotional shocks. You just keep moving and doing, but aside from surfacing for brief moments you're immersed in a kind of no-man's-land.

As for the example of touch, I imagine that he can feel what is there or not there, what gives under pressure or what holds. But texture, perhaps some degree of temperature, any and all emotional associations with silk or skin or stone, that's gone. Material objects are no longer things of meaning. They just are.

Your description of touch makes a lot of sense.

I think one of the things I like most about him as a character is that even though he doesn't feel attached to much of anything and he's destructive and willing to sacrifice pretty much anyone (including himself), he's not self-absorbed. He still attaches value to things and is actually willing to do whatever it takes to save said things, which has some nasty consequences but the intent is fairly noble. Anti-heroes...have I mentioned how much I love them? :D

Revan book spoiler regarding Scourge

So Scourge is "granted the gift of eternal life" through a ritual that is really really really painful. Supposedly it feels like his guts are being shredded constantly. This pain never stops even after the ritual is finished and according to the Emperor "The ritual cannot be undone." Eventually because he can't die from the pain his mind learns to deal with it. Eventually he becomes numb to everything.

So, this is the quote from the book:

As time passes you will learn to accept and endure your suffering," the Emperor answered. "Your mind and body will find ways to deal with the pain. After many months you will become accustomed enough to it to function in your role as the Emperor's Wrath. Eventually you will simply become numb, unable to feel anything at all."

So it's really Scourge's own mind that is preventing him from feeling. My inner Scourge fangirl thinks that means it can be overcome :)

Edited by kabeone

OP, this is a major spoiler for you if you don't already know, but...

The SW gets chosen to replace Scourge as The Wrath because of Scourge's betrayal at the end of Knight Chapter 2.

Yeah, I went through JK and I've completely given up staying away from SW spoilers, lol. It's a lost cause.

Revan book spoiler regarding Scourge

So Scourge is "granted the gift of eternal life" through a ritual that is really really really painful. Supposedly it feels like his guts are being shredded constantly. This pain never stops even after the ritual is finished and according to the Emperor "The ritual cannot be undone." Eventually because he can't die from the pain his mind learns to deal with it. Eventually he becomes numb to everything.

So, this is the quote from the book:

So it's really Scourge's own mind that is preventing him from feeling. My inner Scourge fangirl thinks that means it can be overcome :)

Awwwww, that just makes me want to give him a hug even more...which would probably be met with "WHAT are you DOING?!?" hehe And I like your inner Scourge fangirl!! My inner Scourge fangirl hopes you're right!!!

I just want a FemaleJK romance for Scourge. We know they can breed (thank you Jen'Jidai!!) so I don't see why I can't romance him...

I think I remember a dev answering this question or maybe it was just speculation by the beta community as to why, but the reasoning was the the JK is a Jedi and while Scourge is helping the JK out,he makes it quite clear that he is still Sith and will always be a Sith. Even playing your JK dark side makes them nothing more than a Dark Jedi and not a Sith and not an equal in Scourge's eyes..

Thus Scourge has no romantic interest in you. I can certainly see him becoming a romance possiblity in future story content as it becomes more and more clear that Scourge can never go back home to the Empire even if

the Emperor is defeated,because he will be viewed as the ultimate traitor

Even playing your JK dark side makes them nothing more than a Dark Jedi and not a Sith and not an equal in Scourge's eyes..

Thus Scourge has no romantic interest in you. I can certainly see him becoming a romance possiblity in future story content as it becomes more and more clear that Scourge can never go back home to the Empire even if

I definitely don't think he'd ever become a Jedi and even if you're playing a dark Jedi you don't become Sith, but he pretty clearly respects the JK. And Scourge is kind of the ultimate independent. I really don't think he's attached to the Empire winning; he certainly has no compunction about giving strategic advice during world quests.

I will say that I would have found it rushed a bit if he'd been a romantic option prior to the end of chapter 3 for the JK. There's just too much going on, and he's got that one goal of the Emperor's destruction in mind. Post-chapter 3 it makes more sense, if that's going to happen. (Please, please BW gods make it so!)

I think I remember a dev answering this question or maybe it was just speculation by the beta community as to why, but the reasoning was the the JK is a Jedi and while Scourge is helping the JK out,he makes it quite clear that he is still Sith and will always be a Sith. Even playing your JK dark side makes them nothing more than a Dark Jedi and not a Sith and not an equal in Scourge's eyes..

I disagree if I a recall correctly...

Scourge said that he would serve you when you got crowned as the Emperor, (he saw this for the Knight in a vision).

I disagree if I a recall correctly...

Scourge said that he would serve you when you got crowned as the Emperor, (he saw this for the Knight in a vision).

I think you reading too much

into Scourge's vision. He said he foresaw the JK defeating the Emperor and taking a crown from the Emperor's head and Scourge bowing to you. You could interpret that literally that he will now serve you or you could interpret the bow as an acknowledgment of defeating the Emperor.

Taking the crown from the Emperor probably doesn't literally mean the JK takes it and becomes the new Emperor, because:

1. the Emperor does not wear a crown that we know of
    2. Succession does not work that way in the Empire,whomever has the power and seizes the opportunity can seize the throne. It wouldn't be necessary for a new ruler to be the one who killed the Emperor,just be the one where all the power lies.
    3. No true Sith would follow a Jedi, and while some of the civilians might see it as a way out of the Empire or as a sign of peace;the Sith and the Imperial military would simply find someone new to lead them.

Taking the crown is meant to signify that the Emperor has been defeated,in my opinion,nothing more and nothing less.

It's been a while since I leveled my JK but I remember multiple conversations with him in which he states he is a Sith,will always be one and is only helping the JK to defeat the Emperor(or something to this effect). He then says he'll stay on until you all are sure the Emperor is dead. The closest he gets to saying he will serve you in some fashion is that he promises to raise your children in the Dark Side in one conversation.

Edited by Temeluchus

"In my vision, I bowed to you and took a crown from the Emperor's head. It ended when you held his power in your hands."

Those are the exact lines from what Scourge says to the JK. I don't know, it doesn't really resemble what happens at the end of Act 3 to my mind.