Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

new problem with Reverse Engineering?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
new problem with Reverse Engineering?

Bolanos
06.18.2012 , 02:13 PM | #1
Since 1.2 came out reverse engineering has been easier and the item tells you the percentage you have of reverse engineering. However, since the patch just before the server transfer patch I have been having trouble with reverse engineering. The item I'm doing is a saber hilt, it say's 20% chance of reverse engineering and up until that patch it's always been 1 in 5 (20%). However, now I'm working on my new level 33 hilt and I've done 24 RE's and nothing. It say's 20% chance. I should have had my purple hilt within the first 5, but I'm sitting on 24 and nothing. Is RE broken? Is this item broken? Anyone able to shed some light on this?

addarcy
06.18.2012 , 03:05 PM | #2
Yes i can't get it to pop for a lvl48 Strength 'Focus' shield either :-(

Sothicus
06.18.2012 , 03:16 PM | #3
There is a problem, but it is not clear what it is and unfortunately Customer Service says that all is working as intended.

My experience has been as follows:

Artificer -

All greens (both linear and non-linear items) will RE at 20% on average.

Blue linear items will RE to purple at 20% average.

Blue non-linear items will RE to purple at 10% average.

Green non-linear items have yet to generate a second blue non-linear type (i.e. overkill and redoubt). I am currently outside of the 1 in 10000 chance if the % chance is 20% and a bit better than that if the % chance is 10%.

Sothicus
06.18.2012 , 03:21 PM | #4
I just reread your post... I haven't tried since the last server transfer patch asn I've been prepping for the transfer.

wneubert
06.18.2012 , 03:41 PM | #5
I have also been having problems. Too many people think it's just bad streaks. This is not true, they just haven't seen the consistancy and repeatability in the problem areas.

Most things seem to be working correctly but there are a few clear and repeatable exceptions. The ones I have noticed are:

Artificer:Wieldable tree - which includes the focus mentioned above
Armstech:Wieldable tree - most of my experience is with Vibroknife
Cybertech:Earpiece tree

I have not had repeatable bad luck in getting Hilts so that nay actually be just bad luck on your part. These others are way off and the whole tree is affected, not just one or 2 items. Hilts, Barrels, Augments, Mods, Armoring, equipable armor of all types, Med packs, Stims, and Implants seem to be working as advertised.

punktual
06.18.2012 , 03:53 PM | #6
20% does not guarantee 1 in 5 crit.
Every single time you RE the game rolls a 5 sided dice so to speak but this gets rolled every time and your success on one roll does not change your chances on the next roll.

Random is random

Sothicus
06.18.2012 , 03:59 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by punktual View Post
20% does not guarantee 1 in 5 crit.
Every single time you RE the game rolls a 5 sided dice so to speak but this gets rolled every time and your success on one roll does not change your chances on the next roll.

Random is random
I'm afraid you are correct and incorrect. In this case, the 20% chance as listed in the tooltip is not correct for all RE's. The proof is in the math which has been posted many times before.

GnatB
06.18.2012 , 07:07 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by wneubert View Post
Armstech:Wieldable tree - most of my experience is with Vibroknife
Cybertech:Earpiece tree
And I'd have to argue bad luck on your side. Just within the last month or so started my artificer and armstech. Learned all the generaters/focii I was looking for and vibroknives/shotguns with about the expected success rates. (even took the lvl 21 vibroknife to the "right" purple, to use up all the extra mats from selling augmented custom weapons)

can't speak much for cyber tech. learned pretty much everything I was interested in pre 1.2

Nirada
06.18.2012 , 07:25 PM | #9
I too have been failing at a MUCH higher rate than 80% lately. Even green items. Maybe i shouldn't reverse engineer until something is acknowledged and subsequently fixed. I wasting a lot of time and material and credits. I suppose I could always stockpile my stuff until something changes.......

Telanis
06.19.2012 , 10:27 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by wneubert View Post
I have also been having problems. Too many people think it's just bad streaks. This is not true, they just haven't seen the consistancy and repeatability in the problem areas.

Most things seem to be working correctly but there are a few clear and repeatable exceptions. The ones I have noticed are:

[...]
You haven't seen consistency and repeatability in any meaningful sense -- one person's experience is an anecdote. BioWare actually has the stats for all hundreds of thousands of users, and I promise you they can tell if the stats go out of whack.

I'm an artificer and I've had no problems with the "wieldable tree", though I've had my share of bad streaks (over 50 failed REs in once case). That's just how it works.