Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

RP-PvP "Lord Calypho" - Excluded from Transfers...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
RP-PvP "Lord Calypho" - Excluded from Transfers...
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Artanisia's Avatar


Artanisia
06.22.2012 , 06:38 PM | #601
Quote: Originally Posted by JeramieCrowe View Post
Which is why I think it would have affected very little to combine them, yet give the RPers more people to RP with.

Just as you can't PvP without others, you can't RP without others, too.

Again, just an observation and opinion, don't flame me.
Combining all European RP-PVP servers into one would actually have been a good idea, which Bioware unfortunately has squandered in favour of a less optimal solution.

And I do not flame. I snark.
Welcome to the Dark Side. The cookies were a lie.
SGRA Thread FAQ SGRA Clarifications Thread

SelinaH's Avatar


SelinaH
06.22.2012 , 06:39 PM | #602
Quote: Originally Posted by Ranid View Post
Everyone believes their own circumstances are a special situation. A transfer by any other name is still just a transfer.
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
We are still examining this unique situation with the three European RP-PvP servers and we are working on various possible scenarios and what their impact will be.
It is a special situation. The dev team have already made an exception to their "Transfers will always respect server type designation" rule by allowing transfers onto pure PvP servers in the first place. EU RP-PvP players haven't been given any reason why another exception can't be made to accommodate the more RP-minded, simply that it's "policy" to have only one destination server per origin.

If it's a technical limitation within the system, I think there would be a lot more understanding about the decision. Still frustration, still disappointment, but at least people would know why. I'm still waiting for clarification on that point.
"Homogeneity breeds weakness: theoretical blind spots, stale paradigms, an echo-chamber mentality, and cults of personality. A diverse dramatis personae is a powerful tonic against these ailments." -V.S. Ramachandran
"Relax. Stupidity produces antibodies." -Susie Derkins

Ranid's Avatar


Ranid
06.22.2012 , 06:50 PM | #603
Quote: Originally Posted by SelinaH View Post
It is a special situation. The dev team have already made an exception to their "Transfers will always respect server type designation" rule by allowing transfers onto pure PvP servers in the first place. EU RP-PvP players haven't been given any reason why another exception can't be made to accommodate the more RP-minded, simply that it's "policy" to have only one destination server per origin.

If it's a technical limitation within the system, I think there would be a lot more understanding about the decision. Still frustration, still disappointment, but at least people would know why. I'm still waiting for clarification on that point.
My situation is unique to. I have characters on multiple servers and would like to move all the bigger ones to one server. I am sure others are in this situation. Others want to change to a server to be on the same one as their friends. This is a unique situation.

And if it had been the other way around. People would be claiming that they wanted to go to an PVP server because PVP is important to them. There were to sides to this coin. BW chose one. You are not happy with the choice. As someone else would not have been happy with the other choice.

We were all told to reroll on another server when our populations dropped. Roll on Jedi Covenant, Roll on Fatman.
Were you told to roll on another server? (If not may I take this time to...)

As you said you are waiting on clarification. I don't think there needs to be clarification with what has be stated. What we need to wait on is to find out what the next phase of transfers is going to be.
***
Organ Harvester: "Are you deaf? I asked for Iridonian hearts! Not Rodian, Not Ithorian! Iridonian!"
Organ Harvester: "What do you want me to do, put them back?"

misterME's Avatar


misterME
06.22.2012 , 07:19 PM | #604
Quote: Originally Posted by Ranid View Post
My situation is unique to. I have characters on multiple servers and would like to move all the bigger ones to one server. I am sure others are in this situation. Others want to change to a server to be on the same one as their friends. This is a unique situation.

And if it had been the other way around. People would be claiming that they wanted to go to an PVP server because PVP is important to them. There were to sides to this coin. BW chose one. You are not happy with the choice. As someone else would not have been happy with the other choice.

We were all told to reroll on another server when our populations dropped. Roll on Jedi Covenant, Roll on Fatman.
Were you told to roll on another server? (If not may I take this time to...)

As you said you are waiting on clarification. I don't think there needs to be clarification with what has be stated. What we need to wait on is to find out what the next phase of transfers is going to be.
Your situation is unique to what? Oh, you mean it's unique, too?

There's nothing unique about that situation. You chose to roll toons on different servers, and now you want them together. Big deal. So did I. I have 2 toons I would really love to consolidate with my current legacy. A lvl 50 (my very first character, to whom I'm very attached) and a lvl 38 that I abandoned when the population on my original server died in February. I think there are lots of people who have that. And for those characters, I was willing to wait for paid transfers if I had no other choice. There's certainly nothing unique about that situation. I, like you, and probably very many others, chose to roll new characters elsewhere.

What I wasn't willing to wait for was an equitable solution to this mess they've created on Lord Calypho and the other EU RP-PVP servers. And what they did was not equitable, at least not for the whole of the population.

So you don't think you need clarification? Good for you. Then you have no reason to come back to this thread and keep up with it, unless you just enjoy griefing those of us who do believe clarification is in order. Nothing you can say is going to make us believe any less that we have gotten a raw deal, and that we want a resolution that takes our needs and opinions as paying customers into account, or at the very least some indication of what future plans might be to rectify this, and under what time frame.

And no, rerolling isn't an option. Did anyone else have to reroll as a result of these transfers? Then why should we? The point is that every other player got to move to a server of the same type they were playing on before. We didn't. They couldn't offer us that. So instead they made a decision for us, and it's one that absolutely doesn't fit the needs or desires of a large number of people on these servers. Some might be okay with rerolling. I'm not. I've been through that already once, when I abandoned those two characters I mentioned above. Not happening again. I'd rather chuck this game out the window and go play something else than start from scratch a third time. It's just plain insulting to even recommend that option to me.

And, finally, there were two sides to this coin, just as you say. And rather than looking at both sides, BW chose one, and screwed those of us for whom the other was the only viable option. Being a victim of policy doesn't make any of us any less victims.

Faith in Bioware restored June 29, 2012: See the Magic!

Majspuffen's Avatar


Majspuffen
06.22.2012 , 07:33 PM | #605
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
Due to the fact that PvE and PvP are two fundamentally different server rulesets, the choice to open PvP server destinations made the most sense.
This line here makes me think that there are no technical difficulties standing in the way for transferring from a pve server to a pvp.

Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
For players that feel that the RP-PvP experience is more important, there is no requirement to leave the RP-PvP server, and we encourage players who prefer the RP-PvP playstyle to continue playing on these servers.
Utter ********. You encourage us to stay? Really? I thought the whole point of the server merges was to create fewer but healthier servers. No bioware, you do not encourage us to stay, you encourage us to move away and you funnel us in one direction. If you truly cared about the RP-PvP servers you would've found a way to let our server be a destination when the server merges began, because back then Lord Calypho was probably one of the more heavily populated servers in comparison to a lot of others.

I myself would simply like to hear bioware confirm whether we'll be allowed to transfer to whatever server we want to in the future. Even if it has to be a paid service, I want to know when or if the option will be accessible. Right now I cannot play my main character. I'm levelling an alt on the progenitor server to kill some time, but I've got this bad feeling in the pit of my stomach, constantly. Anxiety. I've put so many hours into this game and I don't want to stop playing. But I refuse to allow myself to go along with this garbage, I should not be forced to play on a server that I would under no other circumstances roll on.

Heck, two days ago Lord Calypho still had a population high enough that I could play and enjoy the game, do my dailies etc. It's disgraceful that Bioware killed the server when it was one of the few that actually fared well for a longer period of time. It's outright depressing.
Lambaste!
Best talent in the Galaxy!

SelinaH's Avatar


SelinaH
06.22.2012 , 07:35 PM | #606
Quote: Originally Posted by Ranid View Post
And if it had been the other way around. People would be claiming that they wanted to go to an PVP server because PVP is important to them. There were to sides to this coin. BW chose one. You are not happy with the choice. As someone else would not have been happy with the other choice.
Actually, the decision in no way affects me on a personal level. I'm not in Europe and not on an RP-PvP server. My transfer came through the first week they were offered. It does disappoint me that, in this situation, they went with an option that alienates a potentially sizable segment of the population on those servers. I still maintain that, unless there are coding issues hamstringing the process, a choice of server types could have been a viable solution in this particular circumstance.
Quote: Originally Posted by Ranid View Post
As you said you are waiting on clarification. I don't think there needs to be clarification with what has be stated. What we need to wait on is to find out what the next phase of transfers is going to be.
When there are posters asserting that the only reason this decision was made is that the transfer system doesn't have the technical capability to handle multiple destinations per origin server, and that therefore disgruntled players should simply deal with it, I prefer to get confirmation from someone with access to the actual data at hand. I also believe that it would improve community relations if 1) It really is something they can't do right now, rather than something they won't do, and 2) They choose to release that information to the players. It's much easier to stomach an unpalatable decision if people can understand and accept the reasons behind it.

Again, I'm not affected by this, but I feel for the players who have a tough choice in front of them.
"Homogeneity breeds weakness: theoretical blind spots, stale paradigms, an echo-chamber mentality, and cults of personality. A diverse dramatis personae is a powerful tonic against these ailments." -V.S. Ramachandran
"Relax. Stupidity produces antibodies." -Susie Derkins

nederfors's Avatar


nederfors
06.22.2012 , 07:38 PM | #607
Quote: Originally Posted by Ranid View Post
My situation is unique to. I have characters on multiple servers and would like to move all the bigger ones to one server. I am sure others are in this situation. Others want to change to a server to be on the same one as their friends. This is a unique situation.
No, your situation isn't unique. I bet about half the players playing this game have characters on several servers. Your situation is the reason they made the policy in the first place.

Lord Calyphos situation on the other hand is unique. We're the only server with an rp-pvp designation (unique=one of a kind, you can look it up if you don't belive me), hence we were supposed to get a uniqe sollution to solve our problem. It took them 2 weeks and the result was that they screwed over a large part of the server in favour for a majority. The minority have every right to complain and say that their sollution wasn't unique and that it didn't solve the problem simply because it didn't.

I'll give you an example of what has happened with another product to make this more clear for you.
You buy a car, this car is offered with manual or automatic gearbox and in pink or blue. You buy a blue car with auto gears. Later on a problem with the car is realized and the company making the car withdraws them and offer you the same car as you had before, but new in exchange. Unfortionatly they've stopped making the blue cars with auto gear, so you naturally belive that you will be given the chiose between a blue car with manual gears or a pink car with auto. They promise you that they will come up with a sollution to this problem. After thinking about this for a very long time and without giving you any information they one day come and deliver a pink car with auto gears to your door and with the explanation that they belive the gearbox to be more important to the driving experience then the color. They are ofcourse correct, but that means you're stuck driving around in a pink car.
Would you feel like you had been treated fairly?

Ranid's Avatar


Ranid
06.22.2012 , 07:54 PM | #608
Quote: Originally Posted by Majspuffen View Post
This line here makes me think that there are no technical difficulties standing in the way for transferring from a pve server to a pvp.
The technical difficulties isn't the fact that they can go from PVE to PVP. It is going to PVE or PVP. Or in this case.

From RP-PVP to PVP or RP-PVE. They can only chose one server as a destination server. For some they chose right for some they choose wrong.
***
Organ Harvester: "Are you deaf? I asked for Iridonian hearts! Not Rodian, Not Ithorian! Iridonian!"
Organ Harvester: "What do you want me to do, put them back?"

BulldogCFC's Avatar


BulldogCFC
06.22.2012 , 07:59 PM | #609
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
Stuff
.
Good to see a clarification,( Im happy with the transfer I got,) but I think it would go a long way if you clarified if the RP guys are gonna get the possibility to transfer to a RP server in the future (paid or free). Because leaving players in the dark is pretty lame. And be forced to play on a dead server is even lamer.
Anything that is unrelated to elephants is irrelephant.

SelinaH's Avatar


SelinaH
06.22.2012 , 07:59 PM | #610
Quote: Originally Posted by Ranid View Post
The technical difficulties isn't the fact that they can go from PVE to PVP. It is going to PVE or PVP. Or in this case.

From RP-PVP to PVP or RP-PVE. They can only chose one server as a destination server. For some they chose right for some they chose wrong.
And this is why players are requesting clarification. If you have concrete, inside knowledge of how the system works, please cite your source. If not, don't be surprised when people refuse to accept an argument based on a questionable premise.
"Homogeneity breeds weakness: theoretical blind spots, stale paradigms, an echo-chamber mentality, and cults of personality. A diverse dramatis personae is a powerful tonic against these ailments." -V.S. Ramachandran
"Relax. Stupidity produces antibodies." -Susie Derkins