Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Swtor blocking certain VPNs

fearxninja
06.18.2012 , 06:13 AM | #1
So, Im in the military and I live in Japan and playing on an oceanic server. Recently, I acquired a VPN in australia that allowed me to have a better ping when playing.

I recently came across a vpn service called purevpn. I wanted to try their australia vpn out to see if I could get even better ping. When using their vpn in brisbane australia, itll automatically put me to server select screen but every time I try to log in, swtor locks up and gives me the connection error message with error code 1003. While still on the log on the server select screen, I switched over to 5 different vpns and they all let me go into the server but every time I try and use the vpn in brisbane, it freezes up and spits out the error code 1003.

any suggestions would be great. It seems like theres an IP block on it or something. BTW I dont use firewalls and such and I since purevpn uses a application, I decided to close that and make the brisbane vpn in windows but its still coming up with the same problem.

Thank you

-Holmes
06.18.2012 , 06:18 AM | #2
I don't believe that VPNs are supposed to work on SW:TOR. When people use them, there are many IP conflicts and identity verifying issues. Probably what lead it to be blocked.

fearxninja
06.18.2012 , 06:26 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by -Holmes View Post
I don't believe that VPNs are supposed to work on SW:TOR. When people use them, there are many IP conflicts and identity verifying issues. Probably what lead it to be blocked.
I've been playing on VPNs since launch and this is the only VPN that I've had blocked since I've started using vpns to play SWTOR at a faster speed

-Holmes
06.18.2012 , 06:32 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by fearxninja View Post
I've been playing on VPNs since launch and this is the only VPN that I've had blocked since I've started using vpns to play SWTOR at a faster speed
You use VPNs to decrease your ping, others use them to hide IPs for some reason or another. Not being able to correctly identify an IP is a security risk on any MMO, regardless of what other uses that certain VPN might have.

fearxninja
06.18.2012 , 06:40 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by -Holmes View Post
You use VPNs to decrease your ping, others use them to hide IPs for some reason or another. Not being able to correctly identify an IP is a security risk on any MMO, regardless of what other uses that certain VPN might have.
So I have to be punished because other people decide they want to be "naughty"?

-Holmes
06.18.2012 , 06:47 AM | #6
So I have to be punished because other people decide they want to be "naughty"?
If you choose to take this as a punishment, then yes. I just call it regulation.

Journeyer
06.18.2012 , 06:48 AM | #7
You've heard the phrase "this is why we can't have nice things," right?
When it comes to real-world issues, yes, a few people being persistently naughty make life quite a bit harder for the rest of us (heard of terrorism?)

Related side note: It's to your benefit if BW panics every time TOR detects you connecting from a new IP. Prevents a whole lot of account theft, and that stuff is nasty to clean up after it's happened. I don't know if there's an actual lockout every time you hop IPs, and if so, whether there's a way to re-authenticate; hopefully a CSR can clarify that.
I make useful, game-expanding suggestions.
Holorancor | Food! | Outfit Storage | My Career | Ultimate PvE Solution

Robbie_Martin
12.19.2012 , 01:16 PM | #8
So, Im in the military and I live in Japan and playing on an oceanic server. Recently, I acquired a VPN in australia that allowed me to have a better ping when playing.

I recently came across a vpn service called purevpn. I wanted to try their australia vpn out to see if I could get even better ping. When using their vpn in brisbane australia, itll automatically put me to server select screen but every time I try to log in, swtor locks up and gives me the connection error message with error code 1003. While still on the log on the server select screen, I switched over to 5 different vpns and they all let me go into the server but every time I try and use the vpn in brisbane, it freezes up and spits out the error code 1003.

any suggestions would be great. It seems like theres an IP block on it or something. BTW I dont use firewalls and such and I since purevpn uses a application, I decided to close that and make the brisbane vpn in windows but its still coming up with the same problem.

Thank you
I just started using a vpn today to connect to swtor, so far it isn't giving me any trouble. The service I use is called spotflux. The latency is a little higher, and the only server is in the US, but I guarantee you won't find a cheaper service anywhare.