Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

How to balance swtor with rl duties?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
How to balance swtor with rl duties?

Sammm's Avatar


Sammm
06.17.2012 , 05:23 AM | #11
When I was in high school and college, I used to play pc games way too much, especially mmos. Since stopping to game wasn't an option for me, I had to find a compromise. I came up with the "4-1 Formula". For every 4 hours where I do something productive or useful (e.g. work, chores, community service, budgeting, studies, learning, reading, exercising, eating, etc.), I allow 1 hour for pc games (including SWTOR of course). That means I can game nearly 5 hours on average everyday. 5 hours seems a lot but that includes all the time spent on gaming websites/podcasts/forums.

I hope you'll find something that works for you.

theUndead's Avatar


theUndead
06.17.2012 , 05:50 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Elaril View Post
You wouldn't to tell an alcoholic to drink only in moderation would you? An addiction is an addiction and, as this one has already had a negative impact on his life, it's likely it will again. That's my advice and it's in his/her best interest. I realize it came off as harsh, but sometimes that's what it takes.
Actually my mother is a recovered alcoholic, and she knows all to well the dangers of a addiction, but because she has recovered from the negative effects she does indeed drink but in true moderation and never when she is alone. The point I am making is while I understand what you are saying and I agree that the OP needs some help, I still believe that with the right amount of assistance and effort one can overcome the negative impact you mentioned and thus still be able to enjoy the things you love. Kudos to you for caring we need more like you.
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger) The Duma Legacy (Shadowlands)
Referal Link
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
As theUndead mentioned, I can't exactly spell out all of our policies in depth, but that should hopefully cover your concerns.

Letallis's Avatar


Letallis
06.17.2012 , 06:06 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by theUndead View Post
Actually my mother is a recovered alcoholic, and she knows all to well the dangers of a addiction, but because she has recovered from the negative effects she does indeed drink but in true moderation and never when she is alone. The point I am making is while I understand what you are saying and I agree that the OP needs some help, I still believe that with the right amount of assistance and effort one can overcome the negative impact you mentioned and thus still be able to enjoy the things you love. Kudos to you for caring we need more like you.
Grats to your mom, but the statement you rebutted holds true. Some people need to quit, and no offense to your mom or you. She's not recovered, she's recovering. It never goes away. If you have an addiction and you contain it to a certain extent it can at some point turn around on you. Your mom if she truly only drinks when you say she does has a cast iron resolve. That's the exception not the norm.

If the OP truly can't balance his life with gaming, then he should consider quitting. I was recovering from a long term injury so I played WoW alot, I don't play SWTOR like I did WoW, but I also realized if I had time for gaming I had time for the gym. Maybe the OP needs to quit, they will have to pick their own path. Besides no one has ever sat on their death bed saying. "Man, I was good at video games".
Mal: That's the buffet table.
Kaylee: Well, how can we be sure, u-unless we question it?

theUndead's Avatar


theUndead
06.17.2012 , 06:40 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Letallis View Post
Grats to your mom, but the statement you rebutted holds true. Some people need to quit, and no offense to your mom or you. She's not recovered, she's recovering. It never goes away. If you have an addiction and you contain it to a certain extent it can at some point turn around on you. Your mom if she truly only drinks when you say she does has a cast iron resolve. That's the exception not the norm.

If the OP truly can't balance his life with gaming, then he should consider quitting. I was recovering from a long term injury so I played WoW alot, I don't play SWTOR like I did WoW, but I also realized if I had time for gaming I had time for the gym. Maybe the OP needs to quit, they will have to pick their own path. Besides no one has ever sat on their death bed saying. "Man, I was good at video games".
I suppose your right, I guess I love my mom to the point of forgetting that addictions as you say never truly go away. I guess I am just a believer that even when your addicted or show signs that you are addicted one can get help and still do the things they like to do. However I now realize that perhaps in the OP's case perhaps he should indeed put gaming aside for the sake of his health. Thank you for enlightening me.

Ps No offense taken not about my mom nor about me
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger) The Duma Legacy (Shadowlands)
Referal Link
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
As theUndead mentioned, I can't exactly spell out all of our policies in depth, but that should hopefully cover your concerns.

Eillack's Avatar


Eillack
06.17.2012 , 08:20 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Koyi_Aldira View Post
Step 1: Press esc

Step 2: Click "Quit Game"

Step 3: Turn off computer

Step 4: Call friends and get together to do something

Step 5: If you have no friends in your real life, then go out and do something on your own
^ This.

Or, pending if you are in school / college, focus on that instead of games.

Iggster's Avatar


Iggster
06.17.2012 , 01:21 PM | #16
It's quite funny, before I started to play WoW if I came across a thread like this I would have chuckled to myself about how someone can become so addicted to a game their life suffers.

But after WoW.... I can seriously see how games like this were so addictive, I played with some real life friends and we would be on all night every night, if we met up we would talk about WoW, looking back its quite crazy how something as simple as a game can asorb someone so deeply.

I did eventually kick my habit by unsubbing and uninstalling the game, but every now and again I have to resist going back. I appreciate this advice doesn't help with balancing the two, but what I would suggest is just picking an evening or two where you don't play the game.