Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Aim or Power Augments in 1.3?

Codek
06.17.2012 , 03:39 PM | #11
This math was done a ways back but I can't seem to find it anymore. I do recall through that the conclusion was that Aim > Power up until around 2100 aim, then Power becomes stronger. The difference is incredibly small between the two at that point so if you want to stack power or aim here is really up for grabs.
~Codek

Aerro
06.17.2012 , 11:47 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Codek View Post
This math was done a ways back but I can't seem to find it anymore. I do recall through that the conclusion was that Aim > Power up until around 2100 aim, then Power becomes stronger. The difference is incredibly small between the two at that point so if you want to stack power or aim here is really up for grabs.
The difference is incredibly small without the Talents being used. However, including Talents makes Aim superior. The Bonus Damage gained with Aim has no DR, the only DR involved is the crit you gain from Aim.

HOWEVER, You essentially need 2100 aim UNBUFFED for your Crit on Aim to start experiencing a DR, that is because you do not go into a DR when you include the buffs, since those aren't 'real stats on gear' that you have. Its just stats given by another class. That still doesn't change that Aim is > Power when including talents.
Arsenal DPS Guide
One of the leading Mercenaries in a World Progression Guild.

acnoj
06.18.2012 , 11:29 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by lawphill View Post
But we also get 5% bonus to power from warrior buff.
The Warrior buff improves Bonus Damage, it improves both Aim and Power (and Cunning and Tech Power).

Aerro is right as usual.

Except for this bit...
Quote: Originally Posted by Aerro View Post
HOWEVER, You essentially need 2100 aim UNBUFFED for your Crit on Aim to start experiencing a DR, that is because you do not go into a DR when you include the buffs, since those aren't 'real stats on gear' that you have. Its just stats given by another class.
...but his main point that Aim > Power is correct.

Here's the two types of Augment side by side (assuming you can aug every slot):
14 x Aim augs with group buffs = 57.5 damage bonus and 0.93% crit (depends on your starting Aim score)
14 x Aim augs without group buffs = 54.9 damage bonus and 0.91% crit (depends on your starting Aim score)
14 x Power augs = 58 damage bonus.
A.K.A Freehugs (mmo-mechanics forums), Aid (Dalbora server)
Drawn and Dangerous, a D&D webcomic

Aerro
06.19.2012 , 11:59 AM | #14
Blah I knew I spouted something incorrect there but I wasn't sure. Maybe I shouldn't try to do things productive with less than 3 hours of sleep

Thanks for the extra bit of information!
Arsenal DPS Guide

Orizina
06.26.2012 , 04:33 PM | #15
I hope you guys are right! I am aug-ing all my gear with +aim today

cashogy
06.27.2012 , 01:45 AM | #16
im going with aim, because without frequent crits your damage is going to be weak, no matter how much power you stack. aim adds to both power and crit, so seems like a no brainer

Aerro
06.28.2012 , 10:36 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Orizina View Post
I hope you guys are right! I am aug-ing all my gear with +aim today
Don't worry, I have stacked all +Aim augments. Currently over 2400 aim with buffs. I noticed that adding all of the augments with Aim gave me an additional 1% crit that allows me to redistribute mods even more.
Arsenal DPS Guide

cortea
07.02.2012 , 01:32 AM | #18
FYI i did some broad testing over primary stat vs power and found that the point at which power becomes more valuable than the primary stat is between 15,000 primary and 30,000 primary. This was for operatives, but the test stands for mercs as well.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...53&postcount=5

Only if you disregard the crit from aim is power more valuable. The difference is tiny at .002. But when you factor in the crit it takes a LOT of aim to hit enough DR for the benefit to be smaller than that. On my testing for mercs in basic campaign gear that happens at broadly around 23,000 AIM, well beyond what we can reach in game.

I've often heard people say seemingly arbitrary numbers like 2100, 1700 etc. Is there actually any evidence for those numbers? Because my testing shows aim to be worth about 10% more than power down at those achievable levels.

Canis_Anubis
07.02.2012 , 03:53 PM | #19
The short answer is to take aim everywhere you can get it.

acnoj
07.02.2012 , 06:25 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Canis_Anubis View Post
The short answer is to take aim everywhere you can get it.
That's not entirely true, in some cases you can give up 11 Aim for 29 Power. 29 Power is way better.
http://www.torhead.com/item/1EJA6Ku/...s-mk-2-bracers
http://www.torhead.com/item/9sYXmUk/...guards-bracers
A.K.A Freehugs (mmo-mechanics forums), Aid (Dalbora server)
Drawn and Dangerous, a D&D webcomic