Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Anyone agree that MMOs trying to attract casuals killed the community?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Anyone agree that MMOs trying to attract casuals killed the community?

Letallis
06.15.2012 , 02:58 PM | #11
Ok.. Hardcore, casual.. tell me what is hardcore about punching buttons on a keyboard. Learning a little dance in a ops group to kill a boss. I used to be a WoW raider, it doesn't take that much to do it just time. Casual players are usually people with lives who have more important things to do then spend hours learning some fight to maybe, possibly get a gear drop.

There is no such thing as hardcore in video games. There are just those who have the time to spend learning the higher level stuff and the others who chose to play this game to relax, not make into something to build their lives on.
Besides casual players are much more polite than elitists.

I watched that video. That Tom person is an idiot.

You want to be hardcore? Join the Marines, or maybe become a policeman, or firefighter. I've been two out of the three.. gaming isn't hardcore. It's just a lot of fun fast entertainment that when I screw up I can get up and walk away from my computer. Nothing hardcore about it.
Mal: That's the buffet table.
Kaylee: Well, how can we be sure, u-unless we question it?

ArcShenku
06.15.2012 , 03:01 PM | #12
Quote:
You want to be hardcore? Join the Marines, or maybe become a policeman, or firefighter. I've been two out of the three.. gaming isn't hardcore. It's just a lot of fun fast entertainment that when I screw up I can get up and walk away from my computer. Nothing hardcore about it.
QFE!

1 out of the 3 covered here.
Arcanum
Black Sun Mercenaries|Jedi Covenant|Empire Sniper
No combat ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection ready unit has ever passed combat.

CaptRavenous
06.15.2012 , 03:18 PM | #13
This is why I laugh at self-titled "hardcore gamers".

I was in the Reserves, served U.N. Peacekeeping duty, been under live fire.

I've played a lot of games since 1987, I just like them. I consider them a hobby at most, a distraction at least.

Casual gamers improve communities, hardcore gamers ruin them, seen it in every MMO I've played.

If you don't believe me, see this thread:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=479649

Be sure to say hi to SirCopperfield, the greatest hardcore gamer in the world.
THE GREYWALKER CONCLAVE- Master Zarchon Greywalker
HOUSE OF XARDOX - Darth Xardox

BEGEREN COLONY ROLE PLAY SERVER - west coast

Kurotaicho
06.15.2012 , 03:41 PM | #14
I agree and disagree with the OP. Games like FFXI and WoW have gotten so much simpler once they started appealing more towards casual gamers. FFXI you can literally get to level cap by having a high level friend power level you in 1-2 days. WoW it became hard to find groups of people to do anything as most people didn't have time for it. Some games have been ruined due to the whole casual gamer aspect of it.

On the other hand, I agree that most MMOs nowadays is geared towards casual gamers and have made them work, this one for instance. I also agree that casual gamers are also the ones that tend to help others, They are the ones that aren't elitist, rude, arrogant players that the hardcore gamers tend to be. This definitely helps a game when a newbie comes in and needs help with some things. In the end that newbie could turn out to be a good player, which I have seen.

All in all, having both types of gamers inthe community helps, but if it sways one way or the other, typically the game suffer. Better to have a balance of both groups of people, one to clear the raids/ops/etc, and the other to clear everything else that the hardcore players don't want to do ever again and only gear up.

Mithros
06.15.2012 , 03:43 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Citywok View Post
They loved not being told what to do and finding out the game for themselves.
Is that why the 'elite' players are so anxious to tell other players what their build 'should' be?

Is that why people make websites with the 'best' builds on them?

Are you expecting anyone to believe that casual gamers are making websites for their favorite games that break down the numbers?

Someone might make one showing off gear looks or companion options, but you are suggesting that casual players are the ones out there creating the websites that break down all the numbers and tell people how to spec their characters.

The 'hard-core' people have only ever been about figuring things out to the extent that no one else had figured them out yet, but you can bet your butt that those same players have been combing the internet looking for guides on how to beat this boss or that boss so that they could tell their 'elite' friends exactly what to do and when to do it without having to die a hundred times figuring it out if at all possible.

I am the casual guy willing to die 20 times in a flashpoint to figure out how to get things done. Not the so-called 'elites' or 'hard-core' players.
They want to speed through everything. They don't have time to listen to conversations. How on earth do you expect me to believe that they won't mind dying a dozen times to figure something out on their own?

They are going to throw an absolute fit if someone does the 'wrong' thing and a wipe results, and the reason that they will know it was 'wrong' is because website X told them so 99% of the time, not because they figured it out on their own.

They were the ones crying about a master looter option precisely because they were afraid that their third tank might get the best tanking gear available from an operation or flashpoint rather than their first tank, because despite being able to run the flashpoint/operation in the first place with whatever gear they had, they were insistent on having complete control over gear improvements to make each future run that much easier.
They can beat it once they can beat it again and again, but they were not interested in that, they were only interested in beating it as fast as possible.

I also dislike anyone telling me what to do or what the 'right' way to do something is. I am smart enough to figure things out, and I really like to do that on my own.
I had some random nobody tell me that I 'had' to upgrade my gear earlier. I didn't ask for suggestions, they just felt that it was their duty to tell someone else what they 'had' to do.
Nevermind how I tend to do things or even asking me if I was having any trouble in the game, just telling me that I 'needed' to do something.

You think that a 'casual' player is going to randomly inspect another player's gear not to see what they are wearing ("Oh, I like the look of that top/pants/gun/whatever. I wonder what it is? <hits inspect character>), but to see what sort of numbers/level gear they are using and offer up a critique?

Ridiculous.
Beta Squadron 157

As long as we remember, it's never really gone.

sumuji
06.15.2012 , 08:06 PM | #16
The amount of harcore players wouldn't have gotten less so I don't see the point. Most people don't care or are able to keep up a heavy schedule of raiding or grinding.

Jonoku
06.15.2012 , 08:14 PM | #17
The OP does have a point I gotta agree with him. I understand why mmos have gone casual. They think about money and thatisall.
Level 55 Juggernaut Tank
Prophecy Of The Five

Thorvath
06.15.2012 , 09:41 PM | #18
No. MMO players like to think back to the days of yore like everyone helped out.

In reality, if you had a regular group of likeminded no-lifers then yes you were set. You could all band together and overcome "difficult challenges" like hitting the level cap.

If you didn't then you know what you did? Nothing. Until WoW came around if you foolishly bought an MMO in the first place you unsubbed after you realized you need a tank and healer to accompany you to grind mobs outside of town. WoW was successful because it was soloable. If Deadmines was a 40 man lvl 20 raid I promise you there wouldn't have been 10 million players ever.

What's telling is that the more soloable MMOs become (or casual if you prefer to call it) the "community" apparently gets "worse." Back when you were forced to group yeah you would make nice because hey you can't keep playing unless you are. You would cheer Tanksalot or Stabyou when they won that epic item, but really wouldn't it have been better if you had won it? In fact if you could solo the Dragon of Time and get all the gold yourself wouldn't that be the best scenario? That's the cold hard truth.. you make nice in a game as long as it's benefiting you. When it's not all bets are off...

In general WoW's success has been a detriment for gamers all around.. MMO vets have to deal with the apparent "dumbing down" of the genre so that every game is either a WoW clone or too different from WoW to succeed. While gamers who wouldn't have touched this niche genre 10 years ago have to see more and more of their favorite franchises chase after "WoW money."

AU_R
06.15.2012 , 10:48 PM | #19
Before SW TOR, I wouldn't have touched an MMO with a sixty foot barge pole - mostly because of the way the internet tends to bring out the absolute worst in people. But I'm a big Star Wars fan so I finally decided to buy into it.

If that makes me 'casual' than so be it. I've played many many hours of single player BioWare games and what I love about TOR is how single-player like the class missions are - I can completely ignore everybody else and just play the game my way.
I miss 'the good old days' of gaming when I didn't need an Origin or Steam account to play a single-player game.

CaptRavenous
06.16.2012 , 12:54 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by AU_R View Post
Before SW TOR, I wouldn't have touched an MMO with a sixty foot barge pole - mostly because of the way the internet tends to bring out the absolute worst in people. But I'm a big Star Wars fan so I finally decided to buy into it.

If that makes me 'casual' than so be it. I've played many many hours of single player BioWare games and what I love about TOR is how single-player like the class missions are - I can completely ignore everybody else and just play the game my way.
Amen.
THE GREYWALKER CONCLAVE- Master Zarchon Greywalker
HOUSE OF XARDOX - Darth Xardox

BEGEREN COLONY ROLE PLAY SERVER - west coast