Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Anyone agree that MMOs trying to attract casuals killed the community?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Anyone agree that MMOs trying to attract casuals killed the community?

Citywok
06.14.2012 , 02:53 PM | #1
I definitely think that once WoW came along and showed that an MMO can have 8 million subscribers, all MMO developers now strive to achieve those numbers. The result of that is more younger people and way more casuals playing. They are usually not very skilled or don't feel like putting the time in the hardcore players do to get super rare stuff. This has made a lot of things automated and very easy in MMOs nowadays. Any time an item is really rare or a boss is really hard to beat, people cry for nerfs so they too can get the same rare stuff.

When I first started playing MMOs people LOVED difficult tasks. They loved having a boss that was nearly impossible to beat. They loved not being told what to do and finding out the game for themselves. They loved difficult grinds that took forever. Now people just want to be able to get the best stuff in the least amount of time. Then they complain about not having anything to do. MMOs are becoming a lot closer to single player games with multiplayer features. Everyone has the best stuff and everything is easy for everyone to do, because you wouldn't want to make something so hard that the guy who logs on for an hour a day can't do it. Thoughts?

Sancofa
06.14.2012 , 04:21 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Citywok View Post
I definitely think that once WoW came along and showed that an MMO can have 8 million subscribers, all MMO developers now strive to achieve those numbers. The result of that is more younger people and way more casuals playing. They are usually not very skilled or don't feel like putting the time in the hardcore players do to get super rare stuff. This has made a lot of things automated and very easy in MMOs nowadays. Any time an item is really rare or a boss is really hard to beat, people cry for nerfs so they too can get the same rare stuff.

When I first started playing MMOs people LOVED difficult tasks. They loved having a boss that was nearly impossible to beat. They loved not being told what to do and finding out the game for themselves. They loved difficult grinds that took forever. Now people just want to be able to get the best stuff in the least amount of time. Then they complain about not having anything to do. MMOs are becoming a lot closer to single player games with multiplayer features. Everyone has the best stuff and everything is easy for everyone to do, because you wouldn't want to make something so hard that the guy who logs on for an hour a day can't do it. Thoughts?
I disagree

Companies make games to make money . 8 million people paying 15 bucks a month is better than a million hard core players paying 15 bucks a month. Now days with the cost associated with making a game and getting it out there you need a lot of people to buy it and play it to keep it going.

Secondly video games are not a product that people actually need. For example people need food so if it comes down to someone buying this game or any game in general or going hungry I think the choice is obvious and with so many other options for entertainment The maker of a video game has to make there market as broad as possible which includes people that casually play video games.

Thirdly I disagree with your view of casual gamers as being people that "They are usually not very skilled or don't feel like putting the time in the hardcore players do to get super rare stuff. "

In my opinion most casual gamers are adults that have to go to work and maybe deal with a family or school what ever the case may be but in general people that something in there life that prevents them from playing up to 8 consecutive hours a day. This may lead to a lack of skill but on the other hand would you not want that player at all because they don't have a job or have troubles in there life that lead to them being unable to play at all?

"When I first started playing MMOs people LOVED difficult tasks. They loved having a boss that was nearly impossible to beat." I think casual gamers enjoy that aspect of gaming as well but just don't have the free time to down that boss. WOW has done alot of things to allow the casual gamer that wants to do those things have the chance by allowing the player to pick up were they left off in a raid if they had to leave and adjusting there dungeons to allow an average run take an hour or so. Also allowing different raid difficulties with different rewards. None of those features affect the hard core player.

Further more MMOs are not the only type game to adjust to the more casual player. Remember when you had to beat a console game in one sitting on the Nintendo? Now days there are check points and game saves galore in console games. Does that mean that the games are dumbed down for the casual audience? I don't think so.

Check this interview out . It basically a guy that wants a more hard core and realistic game and the guy that made the game is trying to tell him why he made the game more "casual friendly"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU-H-e0XTE4

"MMOs are becoming a lot closer to single player games with multiplayer features."

I disagree with this as well I think SWTOR is the solo game with multiplayer features and something like WOW is still an MMO.

Take it easy
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.

Sorry my english isn't very good looking

Callaron
06.14.2012 , 04:34 PM | #3
Stick with the classic Korean MMO's if you prefer the endless grind and the bosses that spawn every 24 hours and that require you to compete with everyone on the server to get a shot at them =P
The truth is that the current style of MMO's appeals to much wider audiences than the older, "hardcore" MMO's used to.
I never quite saw the appeal to pullings "trains" of mobs all day long and then running circles around them while killing them for xp or to get that rare item that drops after 964554124 mobs have died.

bknemesis
06.14.2012 , 04:34 PM | #4
I think it is more about the MMO diverging from its vision to cater to a particular group that's the problem.
Games that stayed true to their original concept seem to do better in the long run than those that panders.

CaptRavenous
06.14.2012 , 04:41 PM | #5
I love this game, simply because it does not cater to the hardcore gamer. I have ample time to play MMOs, as I am housebound due to health problems. I could easily play 8 to 12 hours a day, but I don't, because I have other things in my life to do.
My family, all of whom work or go to school, play with me when they have the time. This is the first game they've ever played where they don't feel they are struggling constantly or having to skip content because it takes too long to run or we simply can't find a group for running certain content.

Here, about the only thing we can't run together are operations, and we've never cared much about raids, anyway.
I hope we start seeing more MMOs like this.

If the hardcore players are upset that they burned through the content here too fast, that's their problem, not Bioware's.
THE GREYWALKER CONCLAVE- Master Zarchon Greywalker
HOUSE OF XARDOX - Darth Xardox

BEGEREN COLONY ROLE PLAY SERVER - west coast

Tiek
06.14.2012 , 06:18 PM | #6
i certainly do not think that casual players ruined any community. if anything, they make it better. there is nothing like asking a question and getting a polite answer instead of 'l2p n00b'.

Blackardin
06.14.2012 , 10:15 PM | #7
Do we remember what happened to EQ once Wow came along and put an end to xp loss, corpse runs, camping, etc? It was, in my opinion, why Wow's numbers skyrocketed. People were calling it EQ done right.

Sooner or later a gaming company is going to learn to split the casual from the hard core player, pvp from pve....and they are going to make a fortune cornering the entirety of the market.
May the Schwartz be with you....

ArcShenku
06.15.2012 , 12:56 PM | #8
I have to disagree with the OP. I enjoy being able to be a causal gamer and still be able to enjoy the game the the features it offers. It the best of both worlds, the gaming fix gets satisfied and I don't have to worry about 'Wife-Aggro'. I like the difficult tasks. I don't want to just be able to walk through everything, but not every aspect of the game has to be like that. I know that when I look for a guild, I'm looking specifically for more of a casual guild instead of a hard-core one. Tend to find a bit nicer, more mature player and people that understand that RL > Game
Arcanum
Black Sun Mercenaries|Jedi Covenant|Empire Sniper
No combat ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection ready unit has ever passed combat.

Tiek
06.15.2012 , 01:19 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackardin View Post
Do we remember what happened to EQ once Wow came along and put an end to xp loss, corpse runs, camping, etc? It was, in my opinion, why Wow's numbers skyrocketed. People were calling it EQ done right.
the funny thing about that is i loved eq, and never could get into wow. it was too easy from the start. i guess i got used to it after a while though.

DarthRamette
06.15.2012 , 02:51 PM | #10
I disagree, I think the so called casual gamers make the game more fun. They are not as rude, elitist and more helpful then the "hardcore" gamer. If a game sticks to a hardcore gamer mode they won't make very much money and most likely go out of business. Most hardcore gamers are elitist jerks who are not fun to play with. If that is your cup of tea then fine but its not mine.