Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Please Rethink Changing Project Animation

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Please Rethink Changing Project Animation

Liquid_Drano
06.14.2012 , 02:40 PM | #1
I understand. People want Project and Shock to be equal, but the change is one of the few times that I'd say keep the animation over shortening the length. Why not lengthen Shock than? The new Lacerate for Ops is AWESOME, exactly what I was looking for, but this seriously doesn't look like much is happening with the animation. Removing one of the best animations in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94RhUCyXoYs
Let me tell you what stylin' is

Noblis
06.14.2012 , 05:37 PM | #2
From watching the clip, Project is faster...but still not instant. Using shock on my SI sorc, instant
really is instant.
I want to hope that in the end, we will get Force Burst, the move that Ashara has.
Ashara can then use the new Project.
Hold up ! If we save Han now, there won't be anything for us to do at the beginning
of ROTJ !

Ballisticbryan
06.14.2012 , 06:10 PM | #3
they should keep project the way that it is.....

and to make up for the shock thing.... they should make tele throw a stun instead of a slow
Server: Shadow Hand
50 Marauder- Ballistik | 25 Assassin -Psychotik | 27 Operative- Shaam wow
Server: The Bastion <Attrition>
50 Jedi Shadow - Fraener

Dyvim
06.15.2012 , 12:17 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Liquid_Drano View Post
I understand. People want Project and Shock to be equal, but the change is one of the few times that I'd say keep the animation over shortening the length. Why not lengthen Shock than? The new Lacerate for Ops is AWESOME, exactly what I was looking for, but this seriously doesn't look like much is happening with the animation. Removing one of the best animations in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94RhUCyXoYs
For the people that want to keep the old animation and just have the damage tick instantly, I have some basic questions...So what did you want, to take a ridiculous, junk conjuring animation, that conjured inappropriate junk half the time, and make it even more ridiculous by having the damage tick before the junk hit? So when I saw the junk coming and I stealthed before it hit, I should still take magic damage from the magic junk? Or when I saw it coming and I popped a defensive CD, I should still take unmitigated damage from the magic junk even though I popped defenses before it hit? Can't you see the stupidity and poor design in that? Really, you should think about these things because they are obvious questions that pop up from what you claim you want. They should show you just how goofy that approach is....

Quote: Originally Posted by Noblis View Post
From watching the clip, Project is faster...but still not instant. Using shock on my SI sorc, instant
really is instant.
I want to hope that in the end, we will get Force Burst, the move that Ashara has.
Great idea.
The Crystal is the Heart of the Blade.
The Heart is the Crystal of the Jedi.
The Jedi is the Crystal of the Force.
The Force is the Blade of the Heart.
All are Intertwined...the Crystal, the Blade, the Jedi...

Ancaglon
06.15.2012 , 04:31 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Noblis View Post
really is instant.
I do agree that the Force Burst looks better, but from the Dev posts, it appears that Project was one of the abilities that, on the server side, had delayed damage; apparently it has now been changed to act immediately (but display later).

I guess it's going to take some analysis of the logs to see if it "really" acts instantly.

Ramahospitality
06.15.2012 , 07:14 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Dyvim View Post
For the people that want to keep the old animation and just have the damage tick instantly, I have some basic questions...So what did you want, to take a ridiculous, junk conjuring animation, that conjured inappropriate junk half the time, and make it even more ridiculous by having the damage tick before the junk hit? So when I saw the junk coming and I stealthed before it hit, I should still take magic damage from the magic junk? Or when I saw it coming and I popped a defensive CD, I should still take unmitigated damage from the magic junk even though I popped defenses before it hit? Can't you see the stupidity and poor design in that? Really, you should think about these things because they are obvious questions that pop up from what you claim you want. They should show you just how goofy that approach is....

Great idea.
I liked the old animation. It felt powerful and I enjoyed seeing that random astro-droid fly out of the ground and slam into mobs. I don't pvp, and I can see where it could get annoying in PVP. However, from a PVE position the old animation itself was better. This is because we already have two abilities that are basically, force bubbles being thrown at people, Disturbance and Turbulence.Having yet another ability that looks like this is gonna make playing my Telekinetics Sage pretty boring. I loved the old animation because it just FELT better using it, than this. Besides, BW didn't really even fix the problem, they just took the easy out made the animation shorter instead of solving the base issue, server side lag.

One of the above posts mention a plausible solution and I'm gonna roll on that. Maybe BW should keep project how it is, but just give us a new ability that mirrors Shock. Personally, and again, I don't PVP, I don't see why everyone is complaining. Sages are given a stun, so use it, then cast project, and the problem is fixed until the CD expires, and I believe, not sure though, that there is a talent that reduces that CD.

I know the lag doesn't really effect me, since I really only use like 5 abilities when I dps. I put up my DoTs, use Turbulence, Then Telekinetic throw, Project, Disturbance, repeat, renewing DoTs as necessary. I don't use anything else at all. I know for shadows that project is their main ability, while throw is a sages. All I'm trying to get across here, is that the animation is fine for PVE. So, why not just delete the shared tree as in the shadow talents and add a PVP tree. Since then you'd have talents and abilities specifically designed for PVP combat. (I say shadow since you'd then have stealth).

DPCummerbund
06.15.2012 , 08:18 PM | #7
I haven't seen inappropriate junk pop up on project yet, but I could see how that could be annoying.

Other than that, I love the project animation the way that it is. It is the only animation (at least from what I've seen so far) that actually CHANGES. I love how an R2 unit or something just pops up every once in a while! It makes the game much less repetitive, at least in my opinion.

Dyvim
06.15.2012 , 08:35 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Ramahospitality View Post
.... Sages are given a stun, so use it, then cast project, and the problem is fixed until the CD expires, and I believe, not sure though, that there is a talent that reduces that CD.

... So, why not just delete the shared tree as in the shadow talents and add a PVP tree. Since then you'd have talents and abilities specifically designed for PVP combat ..
Hi. If I am understanding correctly you are suggesting that sages use stun in pvp then project to avoid the problem with the damage delay in old project. If this is indeed what you are proposing, it has serious problems. Best CD you are going to get with force stun, talented, is 50 sec. Project is on a 6 sec timer. So you have stun off cool down for maybe 1 in 4 or 5 times that you use it, depending on your rotations. In addition, in pvp, there is this thing called a resolve timer that can render your opponent immune to cc's (stuns), in theory, though it seems buggy. So what you are suggesting is wildly unworkable.

As far as reworks of trees and adding pvp trees...well I would guess that is so far out of scope at this point, especially given the class mirror paradigm that BW is trying to follow, to also be completely out of the question - although some games have gone that way.

Quote: Originally Posted by DPCummerbund View Post
I haven't seen inappropriate junk pop up on project yet, but I could see how that could be annoying.

Other than that, I love the project animation the way that it is. It is the only animation (at least from what I've seen so far) that actually CHANGES. I love how an R2 unit or something just pops up every once in a while! It makes the game much less repetitive, at least in my opinion.
Well, Im not sure how far you have gotten in the game, but as soon as you get off Tython and do the Esseles, and start seeing rocks fly up out of starship decks all the time, it becomes pretty obvious...lol.

Ramahospitality
06.15.2012 , 09:33 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Dyvim View Post
Hi. If I am understanding correctly you are suggesting that sages use stun in pvp then project to avoid the problem with the damage delay in old project. If this is indeed what you are proposing, it has serious problems. Best CD you are going to get with force stun, talented, is 50 sec. Project is on a 6 sec timer. So you have stun off cool down for maybe 1 in 4 or 5 times that you use it, depending on your rotations. In addition, in pvp, there is this thing called a resolve timer that can render your opponent immune to cc's (stuns), in theory, though it seems buggy. So what you are suggesting is wildly unworkable.

As far as reworks of trees and adding pvp trees...well I would guess that is so far out of scope at this point, especially given the class mirror paradigm that BW is trying to follow, to also be completely out of the question - although some games have gone that way.

Well, Im not sure how far you have gotten in the game, but as soon as you get off Tython and do the Esseles, and start seeing rocks fly up out of starship decks all the time, it becomes pretty obvious...lol.
I honestly don't care about throwing a rock from a starship's floor. I really don't. The animation is Powerful, that's what I like about it. The new animations is horrible. If they wanted to change what was thrown, then good, if not, oh well. With my suggestion about the stun, as I said, I don't pvp, and was only offering it as a once a minute solution. Not the end all beat all way to play.

Dyvim
06.15.2012 , 09:45 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Ramahospitality View Post
I honestly don't care about throwing a rock from a starship's floor. I really don't. The animation is Powerful, that's what I like about it. The new animations is horrible. If they wanted to change what was thrown, then good, if not, oh well. With my suggestion about the stun, as I said, I don't pvp, and was only offering it as a once a minute solution. Not the end all beat all way to play.
Well, ok, but surely you can see there are many other considerations. And power or a powerful "feeling" is subjective and can certainly be accomplished in other ways. Also, how many times did a jedi throw a rock in 6 movies? None. Or initiate throwing anything at a target for that matter? Anakin...twice...in a Vader preview. Luke used choke about as often. Basing the whole jedi consular class look and feel...their signature moves...on junk, rocks and pebbles, is just wildly inappropriate for the IP.

Like I said, there are other considerations. Jedi look and jedi feel. That is why people have been looking for alternatives to the project animation since I was in beta early last summer, and probably before...every build there were multiple posts asking for a change to it...add in the delay mechanics issue that gives your opponent time to react...and well, its been a deal killer for a long time.