Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Best Crew Skills for making MONEY

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Best Crew Skills for making MONEY

GnatB
06.14.2012 , 12:10 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Ravaran View Post
On lower pop servers, you could narrow down an item category and pretty much have a monopoly for pricing. Either people bought your item or went without. On a very high pop server, pretty much everything will have at least two sellers that will be undercutting each other, which the long this goes on...the more the prices approach cost.
The trick is to "nip this in the bud". Too many crafters make (what I consider) the mistake of pricing as high as they possibly can get away with. All this does is bring in that competitive/undercutting cycle. (including making competitors of people who probably wouldn't have ever even been, as they would have been happy to just buy it themselves at a more "reasonable" price) Sure, you'll make a killing in the short term, but in the long run prices will tend to settle down lower than they would have been had you just priced more reasonably to begin with. (I disagree with the oscillation, as that hasn't been my experience. People are *quick* to jump back in when the price goes back up a bit, particularly when they aren't restriced to one skill a server.) Pricing at a more reasonable price will tend to discourage that cycle from ever starting in the first place. When people see something going for only 2x cost, (or 3x) they're far less likely to jump on the bandwagon (or choose to make it themselves) than something going for 10x cost.

(augmented sabers being the most common example right now. It takes maybe 20k and 3-4 hours to make one yourself *from scratch*. i.e. starting at 0 skill, yet you see people trying to sell them for 200+k. That *may* work on a seriously underpopulated server, but on any server with a population, people are going to see that price and jump in the market, most likely depressing the market below where it would have stood with a more reasonable initial price, probably permanently, since even if prices drop to near cost, even when they start up again they'll already have the skill and be quick to jump back in.)

The trick, of course, is dealing with the resellers. You don't get to set your prices in a complete vacuum, and they ARE just in it for the quick buck. They don't care if their prices create permanent additional competition. So, you have to be careful with your prices. High enough that you can stay in stock/discourage (somewhat) resellers. Low enough that you aren't encouraging unneccessary added competition.

Generally, what I try to do is guesstimate what *I* think is a fair price. A price I'll be ok with if it sells at that price. If it's something I'm pretty sure will sell reasonably quickly, then I don't put 'em up for sale until I have several. Once it's up for sale, I continue making more. If the rate at which they are selling outpaces the rate at which I'm willing/able to make new ones, then I bump up the price some. Eventually it will reach equilibrium(ish). (Note: If just testing the market, then I'll only make a single one to start, just to see how it goes). If I start stockpiling more than I care to? I lower the prices.

reblog
06.14.2012 , 03:38 PM | #12
I kinda get what you are saying so i dont put it too high tht or too low. keep it a "fair" price. i get you and ty for the advice ill use it soon but the thing is i was wondering about the crew skills to get. right now i have Slicing bioanalysis and scavenger. are these any good or are their better ones?

ZudetGambeous
06.15.2012 , 09:46 AM | #13
The best way to make money is to find an item you like and make it your own. Don't allow anyone else to sell that item for any price other then the price you set.

In order to do this you'll need about 5million credits in capital and a decent stockpile of the item you want.

Then whenever someone lists the item you want for less then the price you are selling it for, you buy it and relist it at your price. Unfortunately this method takes some dedication, but if you can pull it off you can make a good amount of money. This obviously works better with rarer items because you naturally have less competition. I wouldn't attempt it with resources unless you have a lot of time and capital.

If you want to make steady money using only your crew skills I'd probably say use slicing and archeology and just sell mats. They are cheap to get and always sell.
I tell you this: though neither he nor they yet know it, he is the greatest of all the Jedi. Jacen Solo is the living Jedi dream. Even without the Force, he is more dangerous than you can possibly imagine."