Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

A plea for help: What's in a name?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
A plea for help: What's in a name?

PalihoJ's Avatar


PalihoJ
06.14.2012 , 09:35 AM | #21
I really can not get my head around you guys putting so much importance in the name of a character in a computer game. I love this game as much as anybody but at the end of the day it is a game and they are only names of computer generated characters.
With everything else that is going on in the world if this is very minor gripe even gets onto your radar of problems I don't know whether to envy or pity you.

I can fully understand why a name may be important to a person but I would sugest that if it is so important it could be regarded as an insult to the name by hanging it on something as insignificant as a computer generated character. Name a dog or even your child that name if it means so much but don't get all uptight because you can't name your computer game character it.

Apopthis's Avatar


Apopthis
06.14.2012 , 09:40 AM | #22
Had the same issue with my Jugg. Here is what I do though, I like to pick a group of names...all pertaining to the same thing. For instance for swtor, I actually picked Egyptian Gods. My legacy is Atum, the first god to have inhabited Earth to the ancient Egyptians, then I go from there. My Jug was named Anubis on my old server...moved...had to pick a new name..gives me some options that way. Chose Nun - the waters of Chaos. Picked one name is nice, but doesn't always work.

You can also look up spellings of your name in a different language. Good luck

JasonNH's Avatar


JasonNH
06.14.2012 , 09:45 AM | #23
-nevermind, reading comprehension fail-

JetAlmeara's Avatar


JetAlmeara
06.14.2012 , 09:47 AM | #24
Perhaps your just not a roleplayer? Clearly its not the end of the world if I can't keep my character name - I've played other games without them but they are important to me none the less - like favorite characters in a story that none of us want to see die.

It would be especially unappealing to move to a server with hundreds of new people and wind up with a name that I really don't like simply because everything else is taken. It would just take a great deal of the enjoyment out of the game - I enjoy playing these characters, I don't want to recreate an entirely new character.

Letallis's Avatar


Letallis
06.14.2012 , 10:30 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Sauska View Post
Mind you, accented character names are a pain to invite to guilds/parties/ops.
Put the accent at the end of the name. The searcher can then look for you using the first part of the name. Works like a champ.
Mal: That's the buffet table.
Kaylee: Well, how can we be sure, u-unless we question it?

Letallis's Avatar


Letallis
06.14.2012 , 10:32 AM | #26
AND.. I won't be moving my gunslinger simply because I cannot get my legacy name on the new server.
Mal: That's the buffet table.
Kaylee: Well, how can we be sure, u-unless we question it?

Nichos_Ketra's Avatar


Nichos_Ketra
06.14.2012 , 11:29 AM | #27
The OP summed up how I feel pretty well. However, what I find just a bit odd is that the two characters of mine whose names are taken on the destination server, The Ebon Hawk, aren't exactly common names.

This isn't some kind of superhero MMO where only one of each name can (or should) exist, guys. This is an MMO based on a more realistic IP where characters tend to use their real names, which there can be more than one of in existence during the same time period. Sheesh.

dcgregorya's Avatar


dcgregorya
06.14.2012 , 01:03 PM | #28
You sir, are coocoo for cocoa puffs.

dcgregorya's Avatar


dcgregorya
06.14.2012 , 01:07 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Nichos_Ketra View Post
I do not wish to have to take action on this matter, but I may have no choice
Come at me bro

Sweetiepies's Avatar


Sweetiepies
06.14.2012 , 01:19 PM | #30
10% of me wants to feel for you, the other 90% blames you for the perceived stereotype (or not so perceived) of the overly emotional, illogically attached D&D/Roleplaying/MMO/Immersion nerd....but my 10% is on your side.