Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Fear of loseing a name

RendakFel
06.13.2012 , 03:25 PM | #21
I don't know about the rest of you, but I am sure excited about being "Skspftsk The Jklqqw Legacy" on my new server (probably The Fatman).

I love how Bioware bills (and sells) Swtor as a game about living your own personal epic story, with a name like that due to the naming convention used here. I'd say I feel bad for the people that preordered on the first day of Pre-orders because they promised the ability to reserve names. Sure, we could stay on our server, but lets be honest here. The best reason they have for consolidating all the pvp servers onto 1 per time zone, is so that they then don't need to worry about a Cross Server Warzone function. When you are getting instant que's, does it matter if their is 3 other games running concurrently, or 50?

Win for bioware?
Oldprime - 50 Pyro PowerTech
Prophecy of Five
<Old Republic War>
Guild Leader

Britishbulldog
06.13.2012 , 04:36 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by OmySpy View Post
^This is a good idea

Also, even if you can't secure the names you have now, you should be able to get something better than Spoon
they were just examples didnt want to brodcast my names :P

Quote: Originally Posted by DjSnazzyduds View Post
What's the big deal, it's a name, just find another name or use alt codes .

http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/i...s/codealt.html

Your name will be the same just with a cool symbol, no biggie.
Thanks for the Alt Codes thats really a load off my mind because the names i chose are not super common but theres a chance someone could have used them since in the past 3 months i have seen very similer names.

Im glad there are ppl who were attached to there names too. I knew some people wouldnt care. I wouldnt care if i saw 1 other person with the same name since our legacy names would be diffrent. Even if the destiation didnt like that we had the same name he could always opt to change it.

Britishbulldog
06.13.2012 , 04:39 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by RendakFel View Post
I don't know about the rest of you, but I am sure excited about being "Skspftsk The Jklqqw Legacy" on my new server (probably The Fatman).
That was my main fear !!

HelinCarnate
06.13.2012 , 04:58 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by RendakFel View Post
Too late Skspftsk, I already took that name. Jklqqw Legacy is still open however. Probably.
Dear BW,
Please nerf paper and buff rock. Scissors is fine as is.
Signed, Rock.

dipstik
06.13.2012 , 05:05 PM | #25
using obscure ascii makes inviting/being invited a pain.

LancelotOC
06.13.2012 , 05:07 PM | #26
As Shakespeare said... "a Rose by any name would smell just as sweet!"

krisknife
06.13.2012 , 05:07 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by dipstik View Post
yep, but shhhh fan boys all around

JediCahlwyn
06.13.2012 , 05:12 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowrouge View Post
Well as I stated in another name thread. BW should have done things a little different. The person keeping the name when transferring to a new server should be the one that has had the name the longest. If you created the toon just in the last minute to grab someone elses name you should not be allowed to keep it verses the account that has had the name since day one in early access.
Agreed!

I'm sorry that for some of you your name means nothing and you don't understand WHY it does to us. But our names are important for us (I can't imagine the pain of the RPers). It is our identity in the game. We chose them for a reason.

I was in beta since July/Aug, I preordered minute one. I was in the FIRST wave of early access. Legacy level in the 30s, multiple 50s, etc. And I will most likely lose my names. All names similar or that I'd want (I refuse to use weird symbols) will be gone (and likely on dead accounts). I have seniority big time but not anymore. Total pain.

It would be better if they'd just ripped the bandaid and MERGED the servers. But they are dragging this crap out, freaking people out, spawning trolls like crazy... all because they make poor decisions.
--Master Endric Cahlwyn--
<The Womp Rats> of The Shadowlands
Jedi Guardian 55 For The Republic!

TheSeventhJedi
06.13.2012 , 05:21 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by dipstik View Post
Not to mention, it just looks ugly. I've got names that are spelled with regular letters, no hypens, no weird figures, no spellings to try and make them a different name after phonetic pronunciation (I don't want to drink any kawphy, thank you very much,) they're nice. Some of them were names that you and I would consider "normal," some were drawn from literature, some were completely made up - ALL are taken on ALL likely destination servers. I don't want a name like Hah'anŮ T'sōlo, I want to be Han Solo dangit! The ENTIRE allure of preorder, for me, was being able to choose names that I liked, that looked like names, before they were taken. It's gone now - and my desire to log in and play characters who I know are about to become K'rtous Yyybrick is quickly going with it.

Quote: Originally Posted by LancelotOC View Post
As Shakespeare said... "a Rose by any name would smell just as sweet!"
Yeah, but then that dumb strumpet ran off and married the guy she was talking about, he hit it and quit it, and she killed herself over the emotional anguish. Hardly a shining pillar of good judgement.
Click for free things, please: http://www.swtor.com/r/GlscnB

kirorx
06.13.2012 , 05:23 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by jgoldsack View Post
Easy solution. Go to those destination servers and try making characters with those names yourself. Then you can be sure you reserve the ones you can, and are aware of the ones you can't... all before you ever transfer.
GREAT ADVICE, I wish i had thought to do this.