Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What happens if you DON'T transfer?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What happens if you DON'T transfer?

Blekinfar
06.13.2012 , 10:24 AM | #1
I am kinda new to all this... I play with my wife in the game throughout both of our entire stories. I am just asking, since I cannot really find it by search or digging. What happens if you DON'T transfer? Are they closing the servers? Will they do a forced transfer to the stragglers at some point? If so, that would make the available name pool even smaller, I woudl think.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Kabaal
06.13.2012 , 10:25 AM | #2
They haven't said but i imagine they will eventually force you to move then close the server down.
Kabaal 50 Juggernaut | Scotsmania 50 Vanguard | Hurricane 50 Sorcerer
Furian 50 Sentinel | Furķan 50 Commando
Scotsmania 50 Shadow

thomasgallant
06.13.2012 , 10:26 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Blekinfar View Post
I am kinda new to all this... I play with my wife in the game throughout both of our entire stories. I am just asking, since I cannot really find it by search or digging. What happens if you DON'T transfer? Are they closing the servers? Will they do a forced transfer to the stragglers at some point? If so, that would make the available name pool even smaller, I woudl think.
Thanks!
the majority of your server transfers to the destination server.. which is the logical thing to do.. you dont, end up playing by yourself hating the game in a short time then quitting id assume...

if you hold out long enough for paid transfers, you might realize that you were a bone head and pay to be moved to the server of your choice...
but of course.. whoever did that would rant on the forums about how unfair it was to have to pay for the transfer when others didnt have to...

dont forget that part:P
"Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." Obi-Wan Kenobi

Vicrodhe
06.13.2012 , 10:26 AM | #4
You will be playing by yourself on your dead server.
I think they MAY change the origin server into the trial servers for the new level 15 free to play trial.
But we would have to wait for the official stand on this.

Tugimus
06.13.2012 , 10:27 AM | #5
Likely if you are an origin server, you were on one of the lower pop servers. This likely means that most people will be taking the transfer, leaving you and a bunch of unplayed toons. When they see fit, they will force you to transfer.

This is just speculation, but there really aren't any other options.
FORCEPLAY
Death Wind Corridor/

metalgearyoda
06.13.2012 , 10:30 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Blekinfar View Post
Thanks!
You will be forever alone.
Ganking leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to pvp.
The Swtor forum attracts trolls because the forums are more fun than raiding dragon soul.
Complaining is the new meta game.

gamafarr
06.13.2012 , 10:33 AM | #7
Hi

What they said . I my opinion , have fun and transfer now

BJWyler
06.13.2012 , 10:34 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Vicrodhe View Post
You will be playing by yourself on your dead server.
I think they MAY change the origin server into the trial servers for the new level 15 free to play trial.
But we would have to wait for the official stand on this.
That would seem to be the direction they are headed. I heard Rift and/or WoW did something similar. It would make sense to separate the freebies from the paid sub population to avoid the inherent griefing and RMTs that come along with free stuff.

In answer to the OP. Nothing will happen right now. BW has made the transfers voluntary. So all you will see for the time being is less people on the server. They have said that they will maintain the transfers for as long as necessary, so it seems like you do have some time to decide. However, I would imagine that at some point down the line, the server will either be shut down or force merged into several other servers, if they don't shard as a trial server.

BJ
Primus and Alpha on the PTS/Swords of the Republic on The Shadowlands
Check out our own Character Page which includes music and Quest Lists

and our YouTube Channel for Gameplay footage and more

JDDMichael
06.13.2012 , 10:37 AM | #9
My guess?

If you don't transfer you will get to sit on a largely empty server while BioWare drops a press release stating that they had NO IDEA how POPULAR the COMMUNITY SUPPORTING TRANSFER SERVICE would be, and that since ALL EXPECTATIONS have been smashed, they will be relocating remaining accounts to the associated destination server and taking the unnecessary server hardware offline.

What you won't see is the word "merger" used anywhere. Because this isn't a merger... It is a spontaneous and unexpected player driven migration.
Star Wars: The Old Republic has never had server mergers. What you saw was a spontaneous and unexpected player driven migration driven by a game community that is so strong that we all just had to play on the same server.

DbDBear
06.13.2012 , 10:41 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by JDDMichael View Post

What you won't see is the word "merger" used anywhere. Because this isn't a merger... It is a spontaneous and unexpected player driven migration.
The soft drink I was drinking shot out my nose when I read that!