Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Artifice] So, is it useless to craft level 50 orange lightsabers?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
[Artifice] So, is it useless to craft level 50 orange lightsabers?

Majestic_Jazz
06.13.2012 , 10:22 AM | #1
I have a schematic for level 20 orange lightsabers/double-bladed lightsabers and I have a schematic for level 50 lightsabers/double-bladed lightsabers. You would think that in the long run, I would make more profit from the level 50 schematic, correct?

But when you look at the logic, it seems like a waste of time to try to crafting the level 50 orange saber. Why? Because they are orange gear and they are dependant on the mods placed in them. So really, a level 50 player can buy my level 20 orange saber and place all of his level 50 mods in them and get the same effect.

So why would I blow more money/time into trying to gather to crafting material for the level 50 orange schematics when I can put less money/time into gathering the material for the level 20 orange schematics and still make my profit!

Am I making any sense or am I over-looking something?

GnatB
06.13.2012 , 10:29 AM | #2
Nope. They really should have made all orange schematics the same difficulty to craft, and use the same grade mats. (though not neccessarily the same mats... one of the annoying things about armstech/artifice is all the orange weapons (of that crew skill) use the exact same mats, so the other mats for that grade, which you'll get an equal number of (on average) just pile up.

Lady_Alyria
06.13.2012 , 10:44 AM | #3
The difference is level 50 sabers are supposed to look better, but I doubt many people care how pretty their hilt looks. Plus, what I've noticed with gear is my personal taste makes me like low level gear better, the high level stuff tends to look too gaudy and clownish for my taste. With 1.3 the augment slot will be based on level so level 20 orange crit items won't be able to hold 50 augments without going to the augment table, but considering you can add an augment to anything in 1.3 including social gear there will be less reason to bother with crafted orange gear at all.

jamescloutier
06.13.2012 , 10:57 AM | #4
The big difference will be when 1.3 comes out. If you crit craft a level 20 weapon it's get a rank 2 augment slot (able to handle augments up to level 23). If you crit craft a level 50 saber it'll have a rank 6 augment slot (able to handle all augments).

RichyYoung
06.13.2012 , 11:06 AM | #5
It maybe worth it in 1.3.. problem is IF you get a crit every 5 lightsabers at lvl50, its cost you about 70 - 80k in mats. Mainly beucase you cant RE the duds (stupid i know). So you really need to charge the 80 - 99k for the light saber. Plus it guts the artificer of grade 6 stuff, just to make 3 - 5 crit sabers for 99K each. It kinda isnt worth having to spend ages and ages doing hour missions over and over.. just to replenish stocks.

With augment kits it MAY make the lvl50 saber obsoleet. i mean my sales have dropped masively in both as everyone preps for 1.3. It really depends on the cost of the augment kit and afdding the slot to say a colmuni.

I know its expensive moving stuff in and out, some players may simply just augment a new rakata saber as it arrives.

Lady_Alyria
06.13.2012 , 11:39 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by RichyYoung View Post
I know its expensive moving stuff in and out, some players may simply just augment a new rakata saber as it arrives.
That would make the most sense because again, who looks at their hilts, for all I know the rakata saber hilt is prettiest, unless a person want specific orange gear for the look, which they can buy the non-crit version of for cheap anyway, the most sensible thing to do is just add the augment slots to your gear instead of trying to get your gear to crit.

trussasp
06.13.2012 , 02:55 PM | #7
Hi OP:

It was for me, but maybe I'm doing it wrong....

I made the double-bladed L400 lightsaber from Artifice.

In that item, you can place 3 different things, Hilt, Mod?, and something else? I forget what the other two names are.

Whatever those 3 things are, I made all 3 of the L400 craftable items, from the Artifice guy (Hilt), and maybe my Cybertech guy (the other 2 slots).

Anyhoo... after combining all of them, I noticed that the resulting double-bladed lightsaber was a bit WORSE than the Recruit L50 double-bladed saber I bought for (I think?) 38,000 credits.

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong, if anything? I''m asking seriously.

Based on my results, the answer to the OP, is yes, it is useless.

Lady_Alyria
06.13.2012 , 04:06 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by trussasp View Post
Hi OP:

It was for me, but maybe I'm doing it wrong....

I made the double-bladed L400 lightsaber from Artifice.

In that item, you can place 3 different things, Hilt, Mod?, and something else? I forget what the other two names are.

Whatever those 3 things are, I made all 3 of the L400 craftable items, from the Artifice guy (Hilt), and maybe my Cybertech guy (the other 2 slots).

Anyhoo... after combining all of them, I noticed that the resulting double-bladed lightsaber was a bit WORSE than the Recruit L50 double-bladed saber I bought for (I think?) 38,000 credits.

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong, if anything? I''m asking seriously.

Based on my results, the answer to the OP, is yes, it is useless.
You did nothing wrong. Working as intended. The highest stuff you can make is 49 unless you get schematics from REing stuff you get off operations and such, you can't buy the highest schematics, you have to grind them, however you can buy, relatively cheap gear better than anything you could have crafted.

punktual
06.13.2012 , 04:17 PM | #9
I dont really bother making lightsabers as the non augmented versions simply dont sell as the market is flooded with them and the augmented versions dont really sell for enough to justify the cost and time. However if you care about looks the purchasable schematics like "Truthseeker" that require biometric crystal alloys look way cooler and may sell for quite a bit if you can find a market that cares about appearance.

I make most of my money from artifice by selling crystals aswell as a campaign relic schematic i got from REing

wainot-keel
06.13.2012 , 05:18 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by RichyYoung View Post
It maybe worth it in 1.3.. problem is IF you get a crit every 5 lightsabers at lvl50, its cost you about 70 - 80k in mats. Mainly beucase you cant RE the duds (stupid i know). So you really need to charge the 80 - 99k for the light saber. Plus it guts the artificer of grade 6 stuff, just to make 3 - 5 crit sabers for 99K each. It kinda isnt worth having to spend ages and ages doing hour missions over and over.. just to replenish stocks.

With augment kits it MAY make the lvl50 saber obsoleet. i mean my sales have dropped masively in both as everyone preps for 1.3. It really depends on the cost of the augment kit and afdding the slot to say a colmuni.

I think if you want to make some money with augmented sabers after 1.3 hits ( at least for a while ), you might consider to crit craft the lvl 20 ones and put a green lvl 49 augment on them (before the patch goes live)