Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Origin Servers

belizar
06.12.2012 , 01:40 PM | #11
why not just open 4-5 brand new high cap servers in eu and us and heard ppl into them... would be quicker than waiting for your server might get lucky for a transfer...

buckman
06.12.2012 , 01:41 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Razdek View Post
18 servers being transferred is still fail when there are hundreds of servers that are dead. but dont worry this thread will be closed soon while they try to cover up how terrible a job they are doing.
This is just the first day, and there could possibly be more by the end of the day.

rymah
06.12.2012 , 01:44 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Razdek View Post
18 servers being transferred on the first half of the first day is still fail to me when there are hundreds of servers that are dead. but dont worry this thread will be closed soon while they try to cover up how terrible a job they are doing in dealing with my unreasonable expectations.
Fixed
Minister of Propaganda, Deadly Shenanigans
Drooga's Pleasure Barge / Lord Praven / Squadron 238
The Shadowedsoul Legacy
~ immortalis imperator veneremur ~

HarleysRule
06.12.2012 , 01:50 PM | #14
I would guess two reasons...

One, they limit transfers to current paying customers. Once you have multiple origin servers going to one destination, this allows people that are current subscribers a better shot of keeping names and legacy names. This also gives people that are no longer subbing but are thinking about coming back extra incentive to come back.

Two, server mergers ALWAYS are bad PR. They can make people happy that want off dead servers without having to make that press release about closing 50+ servers. I would guess they won't actually merge servers for another 6 months.

revial
06.12.2012 , 01:53 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by HarleysRule View Post
I would guess two reasons...

One, they limit transfers to current paying customers. Once you have multiple origin servers going to one destination, this allows people that are current subscribers a better shot of keeping names and legacy names.
That's a fairly rational explanation.

I still assume that Origin servers are going to be closed though, so surely they could have simply moved all active characters over, and put inactive ones in limbo, like Rift, where all my characters I haven't played in a year are on servers that don't even exist anymore.

Keypek
06.12.2012 , 01:57 PM | #16
Who knows when servers will be closed. But every mmo has servers shut down eventually. And it is inevitable that the ones that get shut down first will be from the ones chosen as origin over the next several weeks. Might not be tomorrow or even 6 months from now but when it eventually happens the first plugs pulled will be the ones noted in these transfers as origin. So if yours gets chosen you might as well jump ship now while its free.

Jebei
06.12.2012 , 02:03 PM | #17
Merges are messier because many of the origin servers have a bunch of accounts that will never be reactivated. So it is better to move just the active accounts and then at some point combine all the dead accounts into one big server/database. If any of those players ever return they will be prompted to transfer.

It's much cleaner this way.

pooks
06.12.2012 , 02:12 PM | #18
I'll bet they make more money off of paid server transfers than they do for subs the first month they offer paid transfers.
What an "accidental" (/cough) financial boon it will be for the company when they rake in all the dollars, yen, euros etc.
1 Free Character Transfer + other Goodies - Just use my Official SWTOR Refer a Friend Code: http://www.swtor.com/r/Yhmw9h

Burtlebe
06.12.2012 , 02:20 PM | #19
If they do it like was done with Warhammer, they offered the free transfers to specific servers then after a couple months they merged all the rest. By doing it this way you do not have as bad PR issues and you also are getting a more realistic view of the new servers user count based on who actually transfers.
Burtimus'prime Vanguard Tank
Guild Leader Army of the Republic / The Army of Darkness / The Unmentionables
The Shadowlands Server

Quinlynn
06.12.2012 , 02:49 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Burtlebe View Post
If they do it like was done with Warhammer, they offered the free transfers to specific servers then after a couple months they merged all the rest. By doing it this way you do not have as bad PR issues and you also are getting a more realistic view of the new servers user count based on who actually transfers.
Warhammer? Where is that game now?

LOL