Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Free Character Transfers Now Available On Select Servers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Free Character Transfers Now Available On Select Servers
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Skolops
06.15.2012 , 04:56 PM | #4291
Quote: Originally Posted by Eitri View Post
The only evaluation they could be making right now is, "do the remaining servers fit in the current destinations?" If the destinations are already so full that this is a question, then the answer is no, they don't fit, they need to go to a different destination. So why not take that action before the weekend?
While I and, it seems you, play this game very regularly - that is, daily, there is an at least meaningfully large population that does not, but rather plays the game only every other day, or a few times a week, and some only on the weekends.

There are also those who have not played the game in some time and may be interested in checking things out now that they have received an email stating that transfers have been opened up. These players in particular - who currently spend their time doing other things - are more likely than others to take some time on the weekend to transfer and see what's going on with the new server.

This means that you have a whole bunch of people who have not yet transferred - either because they play on weekends or because they simply don't play daily and may take two or three days to do their transfers regardless of what day of the week it is. For this reason, waiting for the weekend is an absolute necessity for getting accurate data on server populations post-transfer.
El'Skan-Assassin /// Laetrie-Sniper /// Caelie-Slinger /// Fidaeria-Jugg
Armack -Chaetrie -Gaurex -Isdron -Skol'ompara /// Misericordiae -Elnar -Rujko -Sophiya
<I AM LEGEND>
Prophecy of the Five

Bansheeblitz
06.15.2012 , 05:01 PM | #4292
After a long wait Free transfers finally come. But they are so limited in destination. My Friends and Core guildies have all switched to Fatman. I have mad one alt on there also. My plan was to bring all ALTS to FATMAN. Instead I can only switch to P5 sever. Great that its a full sever But not where I want to play at. Can I expect a Free transfer in the near future, of my alts to the sever I currently and want to play on? (FATMAN)? I can handle waiting a week or two. But if i have to pay for this....that would be VERY frustrating. Seems how this whole Ordeal is already annoying.

Skolops
06.15.2012 , 05:05 PM | #4293
Quote: Originally Posted by Nyteblades View Post
You can paint this pile of dung with all the strawberry jam you want. Its not going to change the fact underneath it all it still stinks to high heaven. And the 20% thats left got screwed because the monkeys doing this cant seem to think ahead.
It's precisely because they are thinking ahead that its working this way. I understand the frustration, but its important to - appropriately enough - think like a Jedi and not let emotions cloud your reasoning. Intellectually speaking, this all makes perfect sense and its easy to see why there aren't many other options. Emotionally, its easy to feel frustrated and upset about it.

This isn't to say it isn't an unpleasant situation for those who haven't had transfers yet. It is. However, its like anything that is bad - it is going to be potentially painful one way or the other to alleviate it. When a man has an injury, he needs to undergo surgery to fix it, and this can be momentarily more painful than even just the injury itself. Nevertheless, its the way to go about things and, after a short while, they're much better.

It sucks now, but wait a few days and, once you're on a new server, you'll honestly not even think much about what it was like beforehand.
Armack -Chaetrie -Gaurex -Isdron -Skol'ompara /// Misericordiae -Elnar -Rujko -Sophiya
<I AM LEGEND>
Prophecy of the Five

MrGrizzly
06.15.2012 , 05:05 PM | #4294
Quote: Originally Posted by Nyteblades View Post
You can paint this pile of dung with all the strawberry jam you want. Its not going to change the fact underneath it all it still stinks to high heaven. And the 20% thats left got screwed because the monkeys doing this cant seem to think ahead.
Actually the fact that they ARE waiting to see how the transfers affected the destination servers show that they think critically and well. You want 20 min wait cues? I don't.

They have prime time play coming up (Satuday night), after they have some data from all the destinations at prime time they will know how many more they can move to them, if they need a 12th destination server, or both.
MrGrizzly
http://www.torverse.com
The TORVerse Podcast

bjbm
06.15.2012 , 05:06 PM | #4295
So let me understand BW's backwards thinking. *IF* some of the current destination servers demonstrate space, BW will jsut dump the rest of us willy-nilly into them? How is this going to work with east vs west coast?? They going make some of the west coasters fill in with the east coasters? This is just a disaster waiting to happen. If there is already inkling that the current destinations are near max, then for GOD SAKES, just have the rest of us west coasters merge into the current largest non-chosen west coast server. Is it really THAT HARD????

Mixing and matching east/west servers will NOT end up well.

Skolops
06.15.2012 , 05:07 PM | #4296
Quote: Originally Posted by bjbm View Post
So let me understand BW's backwards thinking. *IF* some of the current destination servers demonstrate space, BW will jsut dump the rest of us willy-nilly into them? How is this going to work with east vs west coast?? They going make some of the west coasters fill in with the east coasters? This is just a disaster waiting to happen. If there is already inkling that the current destinations are near max, then for GOD SAKES, just have the rest of us west coasters merge into the current largest non-chosen west coast server. Is it really THAT HARD????

Mixing and matching east/west servers will NOT end up well.
Why on earth do you assume they're going to mix east and west coast?
<I AM LEGEND>
Prophecy of the Five

Rashne
06.15.2012 , 05:07 PM | #4297
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
This is not the case. We understand that having to wait can be a source of frustration, but we definitely did not come into this with no plan. The metrics we had prior to transfers opening helped us prepare for the process, but we knew that the start of character transfer would affect populations. Our plan is to monitor populations and work to ensure that character transfer results in a good experience for players. We're constantly evaluating data and will continue to make decisions based off of it.
/letsouthugegroan

Allison, I understand why you guys are doing this. And I understand you have to make the best decision. But oh man those of us on Corellian Run are dying to know the fate of our server. I guess I'll have to keep myself busy this weekend.
The Eirene Legacy of Corellian Run
December 13th, 2011 Early Access Collectors Edition
Rashne - 50 Shadow : Andreas - 50 Vanguard : Ceridor - 50 Sentinel : Kara'th - 50 Assassin : Rycerk - 50 Sniper

Thyferra
06.15.2012 , 05:08 PM | #4298
Again the remaining euro servers are not going to merge with current destinations. If they would they would create two servers that would have massive ques all the time.
Because of that it is obvious that they will merge with two new destinations. That will create two new heavy servers in the euro zone. There is no need to wait and see what happens over the weekend. It is already known what will happen.
So why not do what has to be done anyway?

Arlbo_Nabbins
06.15.2012 , 05:08 PM | #4299
Quote: Originally Posted by Skolops View Post
I completely disagree with you. The potential problems you suggest are ones which could ONLY BE AVOIDED by doing it precisely as they are: monitoring things in real time and adjusting accordingly.
Rubbish, you can only monitor and adjust if you have capacity on the destinations to make those adjustments. Some of the destination servers were hitting full just 3 days into the transfer process. They overfilled servers by announcing transfers too quickly, now they can't adjust anything because those servers are full.

Monitoring and adjusting needs time, they should have announced some of the transfers (about 1/2 to 2/3 of the ones they announced) before the weekend and some after to give time for things to settle down and be evaluated.

If they had the courage to announce to us that they would release the first sets of server transfers this week and then use the weekend to evaluate the results before announcing the rest next week you would have a lot less players who are worried that they are going to end up on a sever that is overfull or one that is not as full as the other ones, situations that could easily be avoided if they had taken their time when announcing the transfers.

bjbm
06.15.2012 , 05:11 PM | #4300
Quote: Originally Posted by Skolops View Post
Why on earth do you assume they're going to mix east and west coast?
Because it seems like only 2 east PVP and a bunch of west coast servers are left. Where else can they put us? There are enough west coast servers to fill a new destination server. It feels like they are just holding us back and usign us as random filler for whoever needs more people, whereever that may be.