Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Free Character Transfers Now Available On Select Servers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Free Character Transfers Now Available On Select Servers
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

xandax
06.12.2012 , 09:18 AM | #151
People who keep telling others to have 'patience' and 'chill' and what not needs to remember that subscription time is ticking down for those people.
And if wanting to keep those people in the game; transfers need to happen sooner than later. I doubt Bioware will get many to re-sub on the potential promise of transfers.

I didn't expect Bioware to put up all servers that were marked as source servers; but putting up this handful is pitiful and shows clearly that they do not understand the scope of the situation. I understand the people complaining about it fully. It's simply bad form from Bioware to expect people to wait around for potentially weeks or more for the full list to be made public.

The only reason I can see behind this is because they need to limit the amount of transfers; because either the mechanic isn't fully automatized so they need manual work or because they're not certain it works.
The ability to speak does not make you intelligent.

BenPaisley
06.12.2012 , 09:18 AM | #152
Quote: Originally Posted by NastyPope View Post
So... I think we pretty much all agree that BioWare had way too many servers to begin with (and still has). People were getting upset that their servers were dying, because low population means nobody to group with, nobody to craft the things you need, and nobody to buy your crap, either in person or through the Galactic Trade Network.

Then we got a ray of hope: BioWare announced that in addition to developing the 1.3 patch, they were working on enabling character transfers. There were few details, so speculation ran rampant, but at least it seemed that those of us who'd left characters behind on dead servers might be able to unite one or more of those toons with the toon(s) we'd re-rolled on servers WITH AN ACTUAL POPULATION. For my own part, I speculated that character transfers would cost us, although maybe, with a little luck, we'd get our first transfer free. Regardless, I continued attempting to sell all my crap via GTN on my old server (Sword of Ajunta Pall), so that if and when I could bring a toon to the new server, I could bring everything on one character.

Then, as details begin to surface, we find that while, yes, character transfers will be free (for now), it's less a matter of desired character transfer, and more like optional server merges, with "select" origin servers having the option to move to "select" destination servers, and not even a choice of which server to move to. BioWare's idea, as they put it, is to "balance" the server population, and I guess hope that their upcoming LFG tool handles the rest of the grouping complaints. Oh, yay, that's all well and good, but moving a little bit of population among "select" servers doesn't really address the problem of having no population to craft sh*t for you, or buy the sh*t you're trying to sell, and it outright SCREWS anyone who had dreams of bringing their abandoned, orphaned toons into their new, populated server's fold.

I've only got ONE level 50, had a level 21, and have a level 12, with only a level 6 legacy, on my old (deceased) server, and **I'M** upset about the state of affairs; I can't begin to imagine how it feels for someone with two, or four, or eight level 50s, with a legacy level in the 20s or 30s.

Of course, BioWare does give us the [probably false] hope that down the line, they MAY eventually allow more open character transfers. The catch? As I expected, we'll likely have to pay for it. So, BioWare throws way too many servers at us in the first place, and then THEY prove, through a game that many seem to feel lacks much of an endgame, unable to retain active subscriptions, and after months of US paying the price in gameplay terms (no one to group with, no one to craft for us, no one to buy our sh*t), we're ALSO going to have to pay the price monetarily, if we wish to salvage the work we put into characters and legacies on servers that died through no fault of our own?

Sorry, BioWare, but I've gotta give you a big, glaring "F" on this test.
This is a forum, not an essay contest, funny thing about the word abandoned is that you abandoned your toon, meaning that YOU decided it was in your best interest to roll on another server. BW doesn't owe you a thing for your impatience, as a matter of fact I almost did the same thing and re-rolled onto The Fatman, I then realized that legacy consolidation and server transfers were not guaranteed to go down the way my imagination had set it up so I just kept leveling on a dead server, getting my crafting skills up so that I would be ready to make money come server transfer time.

Your problem is that you think you are entitled to something only your imagination promised you. The gaming community is too much of an instant gratification community. I play MMOs simply because they change after release to provide the maximum enjoy-ability out of a game. BW owes you nothing, you have a right to complain as a customer but have some class. This goes for all the people that are like you too.

"Boo hoo! This game is exactly like WoW!" Then after Beta testing "Boo hoo why don't they have auto attack like on WoW!"

buckman
06.12.2012 , 09:21 AM | #153
Quote: Originally Posted by FreiaFett View Post
Have you looked at TorStatus.net? All the servers are DEAD. We all DESERVE a thriving community. We haven't had PvP on Kinrath for weeks. No server is special.
Everyone will get their transfer soon. Those servers had to be the worst off ones, that's the only reason that I can think of that would make Bioware take them first.
But I am NOT Bioware, I don't know for sure what their motives are.

Rufcat
06.12.2012 , 09:22 AM | #154
Given the time of day on both east coast and west coast, WHY are there only 4 servers available for transfer? Are you expecting people to be waking up early, or going in to work late just because transfers are available?

And, if these are low pop servers, how many people can it possibly be? 200? 300?

I am not complaining because I can't transfer, just bringing up a point. I understand that taking this slowly will make things go much smoother, but why sooo slow?

*EDIT* Wouldn't it make more sense to open up more servers during non-peak hours. Am I seeing this wrong?
{██████████████████████)≡│\\o\\o\\│≡(██████████████████████}

FreiaFett
06.12.2012 , 09:22 AM | #155
Quote: Originally Posted by PlagaNerezza View Post
If you play on Naddist Rebels. I played a few days during peek at 50. The que's for wz's where absurd. So it feels like there are 16-20 players on that server. Cause its the same 50's. Everyday. holding out. Waiting. So I am pushing on their behalf to get a good home, because they are all pretty cool. Good PvPers who deserve a server that literally in 3 days of queueing at peak with them had 1 imperial match.
Wow! You had 50 people on fleet? Kinrath hasn't had 50 people on the Imp Fleet since 1.2 came out.

Putrifact
06.12.2012 , 09:23 AM | #156
I'm not transfering any of my characters even if my server opens up. I have several high level characters with max professions on the same server for a reason and I'm keeping them together. Server mergers would have been a better fix to this mess. Then allow transfers to happen if people want to move to a specific server. Why does Bioware always put a bandaid on a gaping wound?

RiP_AzaZeL
06.12.2012 , 09:25 AM | #157
Quote: Originally Posted by FreiaFett View Post
Wow! You had 50 people on fleet? Kinrath hasn't had 50 people on the Imp Fleet since 1.2 came out.
no joke... we barely make 10 on the pub side during peak time.
Main: Shadsolo - Sawbones/Scrapper
Alt: Shady-Wan - Shadow Balance
Guild: <Random> - Officer
Server: The Fatman(Kinrath Spider)

buckman
06.12.2012 , 09:27 AM | #158
Quote: Originally Posted by Putrifact View Post
I'm not transfering any of my characters even if my server opens up. I have several high level characters with max professions on the same server for a reason and I'm keeping them together. Server mergers would have been a better fix to this mess. Then allow transfers to happen if people want to move to a specific server. Why does Bioware always put a bandaid on a gaping wound?
You know that you can transfer ALL of your chars on the origin server to the destination, right? It says that in the FAQ.

FreiaFett
06.12.2012 , 09:27 AM | #159
Quote: Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Everyone will get their transfer soon. Those servers had to be the worst off ones, that's the only reason that I can think of that would make Bioware take them first.
But I am NOT Bioware, I don't know for sure what their motives are.
Hedarr Soongh has a higher population rating then Kinrath on Torstatus.net, and they are both East Coast PvP servers...so they are definitely not worse off then us. I just can't believe they can only handle 4 servers in NA at a time. I had delusions of grandeur thinking I'd get to actually pvp tonight against new (and more) players.

Meleficent
06.12.2012 , 09:28 AM | #160
Quote: Originally Posted by Putrifact View Post
Its to cover the fact the game is dying so investors and gaming magazines/web sites think the game is better off then it really is. If they openly state "We are opening mergers" it clearly shows the game is dying.