Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dps, tank or healer?

dynamofan
06.10.2012 , 01:31 PM | #1
I always come across this problem when I am looking for a group for a flashpoint. I am asked whether I am a tank or a healer or a dps. I have no idea what I am. I am a level 38 Jedi Shadow. Please help.
Jedi Covenant
Forkath- LVL 36 Imperial Agent
Xellephax- LVL 44 Jedi Consular

Kaisies
06.10.2012 , 01:54 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by dynamofan View Post
I always come across this problem when I am looking for a group for a flashpoint. I am asked whether I am a tank or a healer or a dps. I have no idea what I am. I am a level 38 Jedi Shadow. Please help.
http://ezinearticles.com/?Playing-On...ups&id=3557905

leave out the caster..

Aurojiin
06.10.2012 , 02:04 PM | #3
If you don't know, then you're DPS

Your class can only tank or DPS, at any rate.

dynamofan
06.10.2012 , 02:09 PM | #4
Thanks for the info.
Jedi Covenant
Forkath- LVL 36 Imperial Agent
Xellephax- LVL 44 Jedi Consular

Helig
06.10.2012 , 02:12 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by dynamofan View Post
What the guy above said.

What's your spec? If you're Kinetic Combat-heavy, good chance that you're a tank, running in Combat technique and mitigating damage. If you're Infiltration, or Balance-heavy, then you're DPS.

Short version is - tank is the kind of character designed to keep the enemies from attacking his group and absorbing the majority of damage (which he is good at mitigating, thanks to talents, skills and equipment). He uses taunts to force enemies to attack him and he has increased threat (the damage he does adds more "hate" from enemies than the damage from damage-dealers).

DPS (damage per second) or DD (damage-dealer) is someone who, you guessed it, does damage. Their job is to burn down enemies quickly without drawing attention to themselves (it's OK if they're weak and you can destroy them quickly enough not to take a lot of damage).

Healer is the guy who keeps the group alive - both, damage-dealers and tanks are supposed to protect him.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

bbare
06.10.2012 , 11:55 PM | #6
Well, hopefully you aren't a tank, lol