Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Rayla_Felana
08.23.2012 , 10:16 AM | #961
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
'A few' and 'many' you just proved you don't know a thing about what has been going on for years, thousands of people on Social.BiOware.com in the many threads I have read have said they never bothered once they played the story and realised they couldn't be properly represented in-game and where are these many? the republican nutjobs? please they wouldn't let anyone play this game at all if they had their way.

Also the US of A doesn't encompass the world, conforming to those childish standards of what's allowed (Death, murder and everything else is fine but a ****** here and there, PHONE THE PRESIDENT!), can only ever be a detriment to the gaming industry at large.
Case in point with that censorship.

Raiellyn
08.23.2012 , 10:20 AM | #962
Quote: Originally Posted by BumpBump View Post
People seem to forget this is EA. BioWare has belonged to EA for so many years now, you are fooling yourself or just plain stupid to think there is any difference between the two. EA is the most hated company in America for a reason. They hate their customers, hate the press, hate video games and hate people in general. They get all the attention they need by TALKING about same-sex relationships without having to actually make any effort or pay voice actors for more work. Every six months the "community action team" comes on here and spins the same lies about "more communication" and "soon this, in the works that." but nothing changes. They do not care and they will not listen to us.
This line of thought seems to completely neglect to mention that three of EA's biggest franchises - The Sims, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age - have all included same gender relations before TOR was even released, not to mention being known as one of the most supportive game companies out there when it comes to gay rights. You can say that it's "all just for the good press", but I can also say that about any humanitarian effort in the world; it's a hollow accusation that is impossible to prove or disprove.

The "worst company in America" title was the result of a bunch of upset gamers flocking over from the ending controversy of Mass Effect 3 and voting them down for "ruining Bioware." For reference, they beat out Bank of America for that title. It holds absolutely no weight outside of whiny gamer circle-frenzies who are upset about shady business practices.

Any blame for this feature not being included should fall on Bioware and Bioware alone until we have information that indicates otherwise. They said the feature was going to be in, which means both EA and LucasArts had already given the green-light on it. Now, for what logical reason would EA be blocking this feature intentionally after doing so? It's just comically villainous and makes no sense, given their track record. It's far more likely that Bioware is just dropping the ball on them, just as they are doing with everything else.

I'm as upset as anyone about their lack of inclusion so far, but put it into perspective; we're nearly one year into the game's life, and they *still* have yet to get in simple features like chat bubbles or a hood toggle, despite having them "nearly done" at the guild summit back in March. I imagine it'll take even longer to get out actual content that isn't just cut-and-paste missions like they've released so far.
"It's a bad day for heroes."

Uluain
08.23.2012 , 11:12 AM | #963
Actually, they said that chat bubbles while definitely still in the works had presented unexpected difficulties that would need to be addressed. And there are other threads for for discussing chat bubbles, hood toggles, fat butt robes etc. As this is the only thread in which discussion of same-gender options for companion romances can be discussed, can we stick to that here?

We have seen an up-spike in player interest on this subject not just here but with other players who were unaware of this thread. Some occasional spillover into General Discussion was gently curtailed but any thread that runs to twenty pages overnight is certainly going to attract notice.

I am confident that those who can approve the release of new information are being informed that the natives are restless. I would hope that we can count on precedent regarding this topic, where information has been provided, however laconically, at roughly six-month intervals. If so, then we are due for some sort of word early next month.

That is probably me projecting, however. The developer panel at the Guild Summit pretty much told us not to hold our breath waiting for more news. Given the uncertainties raised by changes at BioWare Austin since, as well as by the announcement of a free-to-play option and a focus on group rather than solo content, it does seem that some sort of word would be opportune.

I am confident this is still on the way, that our interest has been noted and that our concerns are being related to the proper persons. Also, that six months is not too short a time to reasonably expect another bit of news. Here's hoping.

translucentwolf
08.23.2012 , 12:04 PM | #964
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
'A few' and 'many' you just proved you don't know a thing about what has been going on for years, thousands of people on Social.BiOware.com in the many threads I have read have said they never bothered once they played the story and realised they couldn't be properly represented in-game and where are these many? the republican nutjobs? please they wouldn't let anyone play this game at all if they had their way.

Also the US of A doesn't encompass the world, conforming to those childish standards of what's allowed (Death, murder and everything else is fine but a ****** here and there, PHONE THE PRESIDENT!), can only ever be a detriment to the gaming industry at large.
I agree with you. The USA does't speak for everyone. And the small, vocal minority of people that wail and cry over this issue shouldn't be as influential as it is. But, you have to face reality. Several of the larger chains in the US are controlled by small minded individuals. They won't hesistate to pull this game off the shelf, if it offends their sensibilites.

I'm not saying I agree. I'm just pointing out the hystia that *still* goes on in the US ( and, face it, the largest number of subs are from here, currently ) whenever someone sees two people kissing, and they're of the same gender.

The world isn't perfect. I doubt Bioware/EA will risk alienating *any* potential *new* subs by adding in SGR.
That which does not kill you merely postpones the inevitable.

Uluain
08.23.2012 , 12:44 PM | #965
This is wandering dangerously off-topic. EA and BioWare's commitment to this sort of content is a matter of record. And countervailing against Chik-fil-a we see mainstream companies like JC Penney and Nabisco supporting a more diverse notion of society and families, without worrying over losing business.

BioWare has said that they will add this content, and that moral disapproval from some sectors of society won't change that. I don't think that this is really germane to our discussion at this point. And Walmart won't pull a game for same-gender content if they can make money by selling it. I know they continue to sell the Sims.

Yes, the issue is controversial. No, that hasn't prevented EA or BioWare from including same-gender content in other flagship products. I trust them to continue to do so. Or are you trying to find a reason to encourage them to abandon this content? It is how you are coming across.

Raiellyn
08.23.2012 , 01:16 PM | #966
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
Actually, they said that chat bubbles while definitely still in the works had presented unexpected difficulties that would need to be addressed. And there are other threads for for discussing chat bubbles, hood toggles, fat butt robes etc. As this is the only thread in which discussion of same-gender options for companion romances can be discussed, can we stick to that here?
I think my point was a bit lost in my genuine distaste for the game as of late. I didn't intend to try and shift it over to "well, why aren't these in first, huh?" so much as just pointing out that silence and slow implementation doesn't instantly deduce that EA is somehow stonewalling the same-gender content just to twirl their collective mustaches. I was simply looking to illustrate that the delay in any news was not in anyway unique to this feature lately (though since launch, we have been stuck on the slower end of updates), and as such, we should probably view it through the lens of incompetence instead of malice.
"It's a bad day for heroes."

Uluain
08.23.2012 , 05:58 PM | #967
Quote: Originally Posted by Raiellyn View Post
I think my point was a bit lost in my genuine distaste for the game as of late. I didn't intend to try and shift it over to "well, why aren't these in first, huh?" so much as just pointing out that silence and slow implementation doesn't instantly deduce that EA is somehow stonewalling the same-gender content just to twirl their collective mustaches. I was simply looking to illustrate that the delay in any news was not in anyway unique to this feature lately (though since launch, we have been stuck on the slower end of updates), and as such, we should probably view it through the lens of incompetence instead of malice.
I see.

I don't attribute it to malice, certainly, or even incompetence so much as obliviousness to just how this is coming across to us here. To them, it likely seems something like chat-bubbles, which people do want, and which I understand were tried in Beta which I was not around for.

I think this content is fundamentally different, because without it the game really does seem awfully heterocentric, inasmuch as romantic opportunities with the opposite gender are to a degree highlighted, and have even been the subject of fan polls on Facebook and so on.

Now, I trust the Comm Team when they say they are doing what they can, as little as I understand why they do not actually say so here where it would be easy to find. I don't especially mind playing middle-man to repost a PM, but it is odd that I have to. But I give them the benefit of the doubt that they have made our continued interest and growing restlessness known.

If chat bubbles or sittable chairs or hood toggles are done first, and implemented first, that's what happens and I don't object to that. I do object to those who do have information they could supply not doing so, or those who may be making them stay quiet making them stay quiet. Bad enough this was treated as second-class content from the start -- and it was. To single it out for isolation in one thread makes sense as far as patrolling for hateful posts. But this extremely sideways way of keeping us informed that there is no new information, and the lack of information...

Well, all of this together, on this issue alone of all issues, really does look, well, bad. I hope that the Powers That Be understand that, and can respond in a way to at least mitigate the prejudicial appearances.

Kioma
08.23.2012 , 06:13 PM | #968
Quote: Originally Posted by translucentwolf View Post
A few potential players might come on board if SGR features are added.

Many potential players will *avoid* the game if SGR features are added.
This is a vast assumption with, I am willing to bet, no hard facts to back it up. I think it also misses the entire point of my post which was that I believe EA/BW:A has already made up its mind about SGRAs and how/when/why/for whom they will be implemented. Making brash statements about 'a few' and 'many' players is baseless unless you have something to substantiate it.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Uluain
08.23.2012 , 07:27 PM | #969
Quote: Originally Posted by translucentwolf View Post
Many potential players will *avoid* the game if SGR features are added.
Have you ever heard of anyone avoiding the Sims because of this? I haven't. Perhaps a small few would, but I imagine that is about as much of a concern to EA/BioWare as Amish who don't play because they do not care to use the technology.

BumpBump
08.23.2012 , 11:00 PM | #970
I am not spending a dime on this game again until after the SGR's are put into action. They chose to do them separately from straight relationships. It would have been smarter and easier to do both at once, period, but they chose not to. Talk is cheap, and cutting and pasting "soon" every six months is even cheaper. I don't care about Warzones, Flashpoints, their stupid looking end game armor or any of the rest of it. The number of posts in these forums asking for SGR's should tell BioEA how many people want this feature, more than any other, and if they choose to put it off I choose to put off any further business with them. Not Microtransactions and not subscription.