Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

losdia
08.21.2012 , 07:57 PM | #921
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
It wasn't a non-reply. It was a reply to confirm that they don't have any more information from the developers yet. There's a difference between the two - it wasn't evasive and it wasn't empty of information, it just wasn't the information we wanted to hear. The information that was there was very heartening - the Community Team are still there, they have noticed our growing discontent (they'd be awfully hard-pressed not to) and they'll pass along information when (or if) they get it.

If their wellspring of information (ie. the developers) has run dry then it's logical they can't give us full buckets of tasty, tasty information-water.
This is kind of an odd side note, but it'll make sense in a second. About this time last year I was job hunting. One day, while I was hitting up the TOR site, I decided to see if EA had any openings I was qualified for. I was surprised to find the only thing for which I did qualify. They were looking for someone with as A B.A. in Communication or related field (preferably a Masters), At least two (preferably four) years working experience in Public Relations with a focus on New Media, and "a positive attitude when dealing with the community". The job in question was as a Jr. Community Relations Manager with BW:A making 35k a year working the night shift. I didn't actually apply (I like the idea of working for BW, but that would have been a serious hit in salary compared to what I was making as a consultant), but I found it interesting all the same.

The community relations people are highly trained PR types. The developers are people who actually make games. Take a guess at which group dictates company policy on public statements. I somehow don't think the Dev guys are locked up like monks away from all worldly contact. They work (mostly) in the same office. They weren't saying "we don't know anything." They were saying "we don't have any new information we are prepared to release to the general public at this time."
"Say, Mike... Did we just do something horribly wrong?"
"Yeah, I think so."
-MST3K, Invasion USA

Beans_of_steel
08.21.2012 , 08:10 PM | #922
Well ya, but it doesnt necessarily mean they wont release the information cuz we wont like it, it could mean there not saying anything cuz others wont like it.

losdia
08.21.2012 , 08:17 PM | #923
Quote: Originally Posted by Beans_of_steel View Post
Well ya, but it doesnt necessarily mean they wont release the information cuz we wont like it, it could mean there not saying anything cuz others wont like it.
True 'dat. I think it is more an issue of timing than anything about BW having changed their policy on it.
"Say, Mike... Did we just do something horribly wrong?"
"Yeah, I think so."
-MST3K, Invasion USA

Uluain
08.21.2012 , 08:28 PM | #924
Quote: Originally Posted by MusedMoose View Post
Normally I wouldn't make any kind of deal about quitting; I'd just quietly unsubscribe and go my own way. But I've been around through six incarnations of this thread, so I didn't want to leave without saying goodbye. I hope that the rest of y'all will continue fighting the good fight. When SGRs eventually make it into the game, I might log on again, but we'll see.

Good luck, everyone. May the Force be with you.
Aw, Moose, I hope you have a good break and do come back fresh, and find more to entertain you here. You'll be missed. But do what you need to do, and take care of yourself.

As far as the lack of substantive news, in all truth that is just what I expect until they are close to ready to roll this out. They pretty much said at the Guild Summit that we'd not hear much if anything more for a good long while. If things have been substantially changed from that last big info-drop, then I hope we would be informed.

Beans_of_steel
08.21.2012 , 08:32 PM | #925
Quote: Originally Posted by losdia View Post
True 'dat. I think it is more an issue of timing than anything about BW having changed their policy on it.
Ya, i'm tryin be optimistic, theyve made alot of really cool games, also to my knowedge they dont have an exact date for free to play. I cant help but feel a bit of hope itl b a package deal where sgrs come right along with, n its like take it or leave it. If they did that they'd show us all theyre still cool, n still got a rep for following through, I hope they do.

Kioma
08.21.2012 , 08:37 PM | #926
Ya, i'm tryin be optimistic, theyve made alot of really cool games, also to my knowedge they dont have an exact date for free to play. I cant help but feel a bit of hope itl b a package deal where sgrs come right along with, n its like take it or leave it. If they did that they'd show us all theyre still cool, n still got a rep for following through, I hope they do.
I really don't think they'll do that (release it as an optional patch, I mean). It'd be very bad press for them and they've already got plenty of very bad press.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Beans_of_steel
08.21.2012 , 08:48 PM | #927
I really don't think they'll do that (release it as an optional patch, I mean). It'd be very bad press for them and they've already got plenty of very bad press.
No i didnt mean optional. I mean take it or leave it as in, I hope they do something like tell TOR gamers to enjoy the new improvements and freeplay benefits but they need to accept that there coming alongside with sgrs or go play somewhere else, kinda thing. The fact there bein so low key on the subject could mean there planning something like that, sometimes its a clever move to not say anything about something til its already done, itl b alot harder for people to stop it if they just have it pop right up with the other new content.

Kioma
08.21.2012 , 08:52 PM | #928
No i didnt mean optional. I mean take it or leave it as in, I hope they do something like enjoy the new improvements and freeplay benefits along with sgrs or go play somewhere else, kinda thing. The fact there bein so low key on the subject could mean there planning something like that.
Oh, gotcha. Yes, it could mean that. It could also mean they just don't want to have to deal with the almost inevitable arguments and flame wars that'll erupt if they actually do outwardly tell the detractors to deal with it.

And if it IS the latter that means we're being made to sit in the dark purely so they can avoid a bit of conflict that will happen once SGRAs come in anyway.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Beans_of_steel
08.21.2012 , 09:00 PM | #929
Sorry bout the mistakes, sometimes i try n type at the speed i think n the words end up making no sense together, i think i fixed it.

Beans_of_steel
08.21.2012 , 09:22 PM | #930
Oh, gotcha. Yes, it could mean that. It could also mean they just don't want to have to deal with the almost inevitable arguments and flame wars that'll erupt if they actually do outwardly tell the detractors to deal with it.

And if it IS the latter that means we're being made to sit in the dark purely so they can avoid a bit of conflict that will happen once SGRAs come in anyway.
Ya your right outwardy wouldent be the best way, no need to cause a war, but i think itd b good on them to put it in without warning, they wouldnt really need to say anything really, its not like theyd even have anything to answer for, if they get critisism for it they can always say they were only delivering on what they said theyd do from the beginning.