Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
06.16.2012 , 08:29 PM | #81
Quote: Originally Posted by Mistress_Ivi View Post
Way I see it, all but a handful of the companions would not be able to pull off a same gender relation.

Vette for example, although I'd love to see, seems to be the type who'll never taste the sweet sugar lips of another vixen - whereas Elara Dorne could easily pull off being a Dyke.

I'm looking forward to the same gender relations, not to mention all the content coming for companions... after completely finishing my trooper... it became kinda boring.
I still see Vette as a possible "I never considered being with a woman until you" type. You know the relatively new saying: "Love doesn't care about gender". I think it could easily be worked in with Vette and some others.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

tolaf's Avatar


tolaf
06.16.2012 , 11:04 PM | #82
SGR's sound cool, but i hope the men have a few more options when it is released.
I personaly can't think of many male companions who could pull off a SGR, nor do i know many i would want my character to be in a relationship with.
Dark Nova leader of the Sin-gie clan

Lent_San's Avatar


Lent_San
06.16.2012 , 11:11 PM | #83
Quote: Originally Posted by Ohmygah View Post
You are misinformed. Bioware's writers (including Patrick Weekes and Chris L'Etoile) have stated that Kaidan and Ashley were never "meant" to be bisexual, they merely considered it (and then decided against it because they believed the lines didn't match the character, as well as some cutscene/etc issues).

The voice lines you hear from the "hack" are simply male Shepard saying female Shepard's lines and vice versa. Before Bioware's current VA recording system, they did things more manually and thought it better to give both voice actors all lines instead of painstakingly singling out gender specific ones.
How am I misinformed? I stated that both options were edited out before ME1 was published, yet viable stuff was still left in. The build-up for the romance scene before going to Ilos has male Shep and Kaidan kissing. The animation is there, so they more than considered it, and there's other cutscenes left in as well supporting that idea... See Shep and Kaidan after losing command over the Normandy, post-romance cut scene among others. I heard they edited things out since they weren't sure how the Sci-fi Community would react to a gay Shep, gamers being mostly male and all. Kaidan IS bisexual in ME3, so that one was verified in the end.

*edit* Just read the disclaimer. Gonna stick to discussing SWTOR from now on, but my point was that BW is a company who have learned over time that a majority of their gamers can deal with SGR content, some even preferring it.

Evil_Jashinist's Avatar


Evil_Jashinist
06.17.2012 , 08:36 AM | #84
Alright, just to get back slightly on topic... I was thinking. They HAVE made hints torwards making already existing companions available for SGR, right? Well, let's say that this is however NOT restricted to available romance options - which ones would you all want added? Just out of curiosity ^^

Personally I want Zenith, Rusk/lord Scourge and Gault. Hell, the latter I don't even care if it's available for both genders, I just want a romance with this guy XD

Rayla_Felana's Avatar


Rayla_Felana
06.17.2012 , 09:36 AM | #85
Mix of both on and off-topic here, I think Same Sex Romances would be a lot more appreciated if they were exclusive, make SOME of both the original and new characters bisexual, where applicable and have straight ones, simply because it will make the genders much more important for classes, if you have ones that only gay and lesbian PCs can pursue, it makes everything that much more deeper.

I also think a great thing for companions would be to reintroduce killing them off, I mean imagine this(Massive Sith Warrior spoilers in case you are wondering what this):

Spoiler


My other dream is to have a Dark Side lesbian romance with Kira Carsen, where I can get her to kill off Scourge or Doc, etc..

Apply this^ level of importance with your companions and their interactions in every class and you'd be set for a far deeper and much more important experience.

Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
06.17.2012 , 09:56 AM | #86
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
Mix of both on and off-topic here, I think Same Sex Romances would be a lot more appreciated if they were exclusive, make SOME of both the original and new characters bisexual, where applicable and have straight ones, simply because it will make the genders much more important for classes, if you have ones that only gay and lesbian PCs can pursue, it makes everything that much more deeper.

I also think a great thing for companions would be to reintroduce killing them off, I mean imagine this(Massive Sith Warrior spoilers in case you are wondering what this):

Spoiler


My other dream is to have a Dark Side lesbian romance with Kira Carsen, where I can get her to kill off Scourge or Doc, etc..

Apply this^ level of importance with your companions and their interactions in every class and you'd be set for a far deeper and much more important experience.
To quote the great and wise Jayne... "I'll be in my bunk."
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Zid-man's Avatar


Zid-man
06.17.2012 , 11:26 AM | #87
Quote: Originally Posted by Evil_Jashinist View Post
Alright, just to get back slightly on topic... I was thinking. They HAVE made hints torwards making already existing companions available for SGR, right? Well, let's say that this is however NOT restricted to available romance options - which ones would you all want added? Just out of curiosity ^^

Personally I want Zenith, Rusk/lord Scourge and Gault. Hell, the latter I don't even care if it's available for both genders, I just want a romance with this guy XD
The one I'm most hoping for is Vector. I'd also like to see Quinn and Corso as SGRs. Can't say more because I've yet to play the other classes. (And I can't even play for a while, sucks to be a poor student :b)

I'd also like if I didn't have to start a new character to get the romance, but if it comes to that, I'm more than happy to roll my agent again, I really liked the character and the story. And dat voice.

stuffystuffs's Avatar


stuffystuffs
06.17.2012 , 12:30 PM | #88
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post

My other dream is to have a Dark Side lesbian romance with Kira Carsen, where I can get her to kill off Scourge or Doc, etc..


She might kill Doc without having to go Dark Side XD

My Light Side JK found him quite obnoxious at first. I stopped playing her in Act 2 though and rerolled her for the possibility of doin a Kira romance at some point.

Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post

Apply this^ level of importance with your companions and their interactions in every class and you'd be set for a far deeper and much more important experience.
I don't get the concept of 'gender exclusive characters' = 'deeper' romance.

Ideally, I'd want as many open to both genders as possible....unless the romance is so gendered one way or the other that it would be tough to do so.
Node guarder

Rayla_Felana's Avatar


Rayla_Felana
06.17.2012 , 12:39 PM | #89
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
I don't get the concept of 'gender exclusive characters' = 'deeper' romance.

Ideally, I'd want as many open to both genders as possible....unless the romance is so gendered one way or the other that it would be tough to do so.
I mean that it puts much more emphasis on the PC's gender and the companion's and gives us legit homosexual characters instead of just PC-sexual.

There is not nearly enough 'definition' for the differences between characters and in my opinion, having characters with set personalities and set sexual preferences gives those characters a deeper and more realistic feel and at the same time gives us as LGBT players a definite feel of 'yes we do exist in this game' instead of just the shared pallet where every time we argue for the existence of such characters we just get slammed in the face by 'Player-sexual character not homosexual, get your gay **** out of my *Insert product here*.'

Zandilar's Avatar


Zandilar
06.17.2012 , 03:45 PM | #90
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
I mean that it puts much more emphasis on the PC's gender and the companion's and gives us legit homosexual characters instead of just PC-sexual.
I agree, but for different reasons. PCsexual is all very well, but when you come down to it, it's not true representation. I don't think extra emphasis on the gender of those involved is needed, just characters who are clearly not straight - instead of the ambiguous between state you get when NPCs are PCsexual.

However, having said that, I totally understand why Bioware did things that way (with DA2, because in other products, the bisexual characters (Liara, Leliana, Zevran) have been (mostly, Kaiden is an exception) clearly so (I am discounting earlier games, because it's early in the morning and my memory is terrible - so sorry for not mentioning the likes of Sky and Silk Fox)). (Does that make sense? I don't know, I haven't had coffee yet.)

Quote:
There is not nearly enough 'definition' for the differences between characters and in my opinion, having characters with set personalities and set sexual preferences gives those characters a deeper and more realistic feel and at the same time gives us as LGBT players a definite feel of 'yes we do exist in this game' instead of just the shared pallet where every time we argue for the existence of such characters we just get slammed in the face by 'Player-sexual character not homosexual, get your gay **** out of my *Insert product here*.'
There is more they could do to make it feel that LGBT characters exist in the realm of Star Wars. There should be non-romantic option NPCs who are clearly not straight too. It's a big universe, someone's bound to be of a non-straight orientation. I know there are a few males you can come across who have very... campish (? hopefully that's not offensive) voices - but that means nothing (and oddly enough, mostly confined to the Imperial side - though that could just be a perception because I'm more familiar with the Imperial side).

Anyway, PCsexual works both ways. We should just laugh that off and say, "well, the PCsexual NPC in question isn't heterosexual either!".
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.