Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Abominant
08.15.2012 , 10:36 PM | #831
Wow, this topic has been around since beta and it's still going strong!

But do you guys honestly believe that same gender romance options is anywhere near the top of their priorities at the moment? With alot of the driving force in favor of adding SGR (the Doctors) all but gone, I'm more worried about romance options period, once the game goes free-to-play.

Do you believe that BioWare will still be able to pull off the fully-voiced story lines for future content? And I'm not talking about the stuff they have that's already finished, but the class stories and romance arcs that will need to be created for future expansions and additions to the game?

Will they stay committed to that forth-pillar that they so passionately sold the game on? Or will it be forgotten in the face of cash shops and a return to the standard MMO style of leveling where you click an NPC and read the quest text?

Kioma
08.15.2012 , 10:47 PM | #832
Quote: Originally Posted by Abominant View Post
Will they stay committed to that forth-pillar that they so passionately sold the game on? Or will it be forgotten in the face of cash shops and a return to the standard MMO style of leveling where you click an NPC and read the quest text?
Who knows? Without any word from the developers we can't really say.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Kioma
08.15.2012 , 11:50 PM | #833
Here's some new information with regards to the ESRB...

A prior player who used to post here but no longer subscribes to SWTOR (and thus can't post to the forums) very maturely took it upon themselves - after reading this thread - to email the ESRB directly with a query about same-sex content.

Here's the ESRB's reply:

Quote:
"Thank you for contacting the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB). We sincerely appreciate your taking the time to write.

The ESRB is a non-profit, self-regulatory body that assigns age and content ratings for video games and mobile apps so parents can make informed choices as to which are suitable for their children and family. As part of its self-regulatory role for the video game industry, the ESRB also enforces industry-adopted advertising guidelines and helps ensure responsible online privacy practices among companies participating in its Privacy Online program.

We understand that sexual themes have the potential to be of concern to consumers, which is why all such content must be disclosed during the rating process. In specific regard to your question, ESRBís ratings criteria do not distinguish between heterosexual and same-sex content when it comes to addressing sexuality in games.

We hope this information is helpful, and thank you again for writing.

Best regards,

Entertainment Software Rating Board"
So that's one mystery solved!

MusedMoose
08.16.2012 , 06:48 AM | #834
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
Here's some new information with regards to the ESRB...

A prior player who used to post here but no longer subscribes to SWTOR (and thus can't post to the forums) very maturely took it upon themselves - after reading this thread - to email the ESRB directly with a query about same-sex content.

Here's the ESRB's reply:
[snip for ESRB getting it right]
So that's one mystery solved!
Yay! Very good to know. Thanks for that.

wainot-keel
08.16.2012 , 02:26 PM | #835
Quote: Originally Posted by MusedMoose View Post

As for adding SGRs being a risk, who can say. Some people might quit because of it, some people might decide to check out the game because of it. Claiming that BioWare won't risk losing subscribers by adding SGRs is speculation, nothing more.
I remember months ago, on BSN, the most egregious homophobes were threatening and promising not to buy ME3 and stuff if Kaidan was turned bi to cater the gay agenda, blah, blah, blah....
Guess what. They bought the game. They're still playing the game and downloading content.... Why wouldn't they ? SGRs is optional content that it has no impact on them even if they claim it does.

Anyone can leave the game for whatever reason. But if you are enjoying the game, quitting the game and depriving yourself of a source of fun because there is optional content that others might play ? Well, it could happen I guess.... But how many really ?

Kioma
08.16.2012 , 02:55 PM | #836
Quote: Originally Posted by wainot-keel View Post
But how many really ?
More to the point, who cares? Let them leave. The number of people who might quit over SGRAs being put in won't be enough to significantly impact subscriber numbers. More people are quitting over lack of operations and PvP than people who'd quit because Corso likes boys.

Uluain
08.16.2012 , 06:59 PM | #837
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
More to the point, who cares? Let them leave. The number of people who might quit over SGRAs being put in won't be enough to significantly impact subscriber numbers. More people are quitting over lack of operations and PvP than people who'd quit because Corso likes boys.
The flipside of this is to ask, "How many will come back?" I not infrequently take a good break from a game and come back fresh when the mood takes me. I've done so on SWTOR before, and may again. But if I do, be sure that SGRs would draw me back very quickly. I'm waiting for Corso to like boys.

MusedMoose
08.16.2012 , 07:55 PM | #838
Okay, ladies and gents, found a little something today: there's an interview with Gabe Amatangelo over at Darth Hater. Most of it is about upcoming PvP and Operation content; I have to admit, I don't PvP much but Ancient Hypergates sounds like it could be really fun. Anyway, we got this little bit at the end:

Quote:
Just a Flashpoint.

I canít say anything specifically about that. The only things that I can talk about specifically are the Ancient Hypergates, Terror from Beyond, and the HK-51 on Belsavis. Also we talked about how weíre doing a whole new planet with a new level increase.

Makeb?

Makeb, yup. Thatís going to be continuing a massive amount of story content. Weíre really excited about that as well.
Call me crazy, but it looks like EVERYONE is on full non-disclosure mode, what with the "only things I can talk about specifically" thing. But! BUT! The fact that he said there's a "massive amount of story content" coming makes me exceedingly happy. Not only has story content not been forgotten, but since SGRs were said to be coming with story updates, well, there's a hope spot for us.

Time will tell, of course, but it's nice to get a little bit of possibly good news. Carry on.

Uluain
08.16.2012 , 08:33 PM | #839
I think it is safe to rule out HK-51 as a romance companion. Even if it were, I'd be scared:

HK-51: "Target acquired. Initiating hostilities."
Me: "Nooooooooooo!"

But joking aside, this is good news. If indeed this thread has been followed, there should be an understanding that this content is important to some segment of the player community, and its absence is a source of disaffection. It would also be good to think BioWare wants to honor commitments made in good faith.

So yes, I am hopeful. Remember, they have left us with the Guild Summit as the last word on SGRs - and with nothing new, "coming some time this year" is still what we have reason to expect.

MusedMoose
08.16.2012 , 09:40 PM | #840
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
I think it is safe to rule out HK-51 as a romance companion. Even if it were, I'd be scared:
HK-51: "Target acquired. Initiating hostilities."
Me: "Nooooooooooo!"

That gets even scarier when you realize to HK-51, that's foreplay.

Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
But joking aside, this is good news. If indeed this thread has been followed, there should be an understanding that this content is important to some segment of the player community, and its absence is a source of disaffection. It would also be good to think BioWare wants to honor commitments made in good faith.

So yes, I am hopeful. Remember, they have left us with the Guild Summit as the last word on SGRs - and with nothing new, "coming some time this year" is still what we have reason to expect.
Agreed. I'm certain the two aren't at all connected, but it's great to hear this after community rep Ms. Berryman's response to me about trying to get more information about upcoming story content. More than anything, it's good to hear one of the devs actively talking about it and seeming pretty excited. Also, we just got a bit of new footage of Makeb in the video they posted today, so hopefully that means it's getting ever closer to done.

And yeah, I'm still holding BW to their word about SGRs with new story content "this year". While I'm sure the switch to F2P threw one hell of a spanner into the works, which is probably why there's so much doubt about what's being added when, we've heard no word against their earlier promises. So here's to our continued hope, and to not needing to have a New Hope. ...what?