Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

theStirge
08.05.2012 , 07:07 PM | #641
Finally got around to a concerted effort to raise my companions' affection levels, and found that several(well, at least 2) female companions will accept Courting gifts from female PCs, and at lower affection levels than they will from male PCs. The only 2 I've actually tried with are Temple and Kira, who happily accepted them, even though they didn't like them as much as some other things. Oh, wait, tried Kaliyo, too, but apparently she just doesn't take courting gifts at all, regardless of gender, which actually makes sense for her character. So maybe that's a little hint as to which NPCs will be SGRs. Not sure if any male companions take courting gifts from male PCs, 'cause I don't have any male characters.
The n'Sappho Legacy, The Harbinger
Zel'eena, 55 Combat Sentinel
Eleeta, 55 Medic Operative; Fer'eerra, 55 Lightning Sorcerer
All Chiss, all the time, all day, forever.

MusedMoose
08.05.2012 , 07:26 PM | #642
Quote: Originally Posted by elliotcat View Post
The lack of SGR content is making me insane.

I've been playing my Sith Warrior. I'm a woman and I prefer playing women, and I play my warrior as gay because I don't want her to be with Quinn - for obvious reasons. Her interactions with Vette are just so adorable, and it's heartbreaking that it can't go any further. They'd make the most adorable pair. And then I got Jaesa, whose devotion to the Light Side and her master is just really nice, too. Either of them would make such a fantastic partner for my light Warrior.

gh I just really, really want SGR content. Guess I'll have to be patient...somehow.
Meant to reply to this earlier, as I totally feel your pain. I've had to stop playing my Sith Inquisitor completely, because I know she's going to meet Ashara soon - the mission she's on but won't actually start is called "the apprentice", fer cryin' out loud. Also, my JK has to just chill at the Republic Fleet until she can start over and actually do things right with Kira; they have this Xena/Gabrielle thing going on and it's just horrible that it can't actually work out. And I know my BH and Mako would be awesome together.

As much as I understand why BioWare is keeping quiet on upcoming stuff, not knowing if the current companions are going to be SGR-able really sucks sometimes. Speaking of which...

Quote: Originally Posted by theStirge View Post
Finally got around to a concerted effort to raise my companions' affection levels, and found that several(well, at least 2) female companions will accept Courting gifts from female PCs, and at lower affection levels than they will from male PCs. The only 2 I've actually tried with are Temple and Kira, who happily accepted them, even though they didn't like them as much as some other things. Oh, wait, tried Kaliyo, too, but apparently she just doesn't take courting gifts at all, regardless of gender, which actually makes sense for her character. So maybe that's a little hint as to which NPCs will be SGRs. Not sure if any male companions take courting gifts from male PCs, 'cause I don't have any male characters.
I've heard that theory before, and I actually went through three or four different listings of companion affection gained from gifts to see if there was a pattern. I was thinking the same thing you are - it might be some kind of sign on which companions would be SGR-able. There was no pattern that I could find. I also think BW designed it all based on the characters' personality, hence Kaliyo telling you to shove off if you try a stereotypically romantic gift on her. As for why Kira and Temple would take them, I don't know... maybe they just like pretty things?

Zandilar
08.05.2012 , 07:42 PM | #643
Quote: Originally Posted by theStirge View Post
You can find lists of gifts companions will/will not gain affection from here. If a companion will accept courting gifts un-romanced, they'll accept them at all levels of affection. Romancing a companion will change their preferences for certain gifts, most commonly it will increase affection gains from courting gifts (not always), but it will change other rewards from other gifts as well.

Kaliyo won't gain any affection from courting gifts, even if romanced (instead she changes her preference for luxury gifts from favourite to love).

M1-4X like courting gifts, by the way, as does Bowdaar, Guss, Doc, Tharan Cedrax, Malavai Quinn, and Talos Drellik. (Which means they'll accept courting gifts, no matter the gender of the character giving them to them.)

I don't think this can be taken as any indication of SGRability.
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

stuffystuffs
08.06.2012 , 06:58 AM | #644
Quote: Originally Posted by elliotcat View Post
I've been playing my Sith Warrior. I'm a woman and I prefer playing women, and I play my warrior as gay because I don't want her to be with Quinn - for obvious reasons. Her interactions with Vette are just so adorable, and it's heartbreaking that it can't go any further. They'd make the most adorable pair. And then I got Jaesa, whose devotion to the Light Side and her master is just really nice, too. Either of them would make such a fantastic partner for my light Warrior.
I know *sniffs*

I'm even warming up to the idea of Fem!SI/Ashara now.

I never thought this day would come.
Node guarder

Kioma
08.06.2012 , 07:01 AM | #645
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
I know *sniffs*

I'm even warming up to the idea of Fem!SI/Ashara now.

I never thought this day would come.
I'll admit Quinn creeps me out. My SW is male and heterosexual, so it's not ever going to be an issue there, but if I were playing a female SW I'd be decidedly alarmed to have Quinn as my sole relationship option.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Helig
08.06.2012 , 07:13 AM | #646
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
I'll admit Quinn creeps me out.
Tell me about it... This boy just aint right... Luckily, my SW is a Marauder, and feels more than self-sufficient as Annihilation.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

stuffystuffs
08.06.2012 , 08:58 AM | #647
Quote: Originally Posted by Helig View Post
I can see where you're coming from, especially with the current, rather sorry state of companion character stories in ToR. However, I'd rather move towards ME\DA depth of characters, rather than further reinforce the faceless stereotype mass, which seems to be currently dominating.
I don't think ME/DA characters are deeper than TOR characters.

All suffer the same "issues" with being characters in the type of story-telling medium you see in video games (i.e., the fact that the player is given more control over how the story plays out vs. the lack of control over story that a reader of a novel has).

I know DA featured characters in which you could completely change their morality, similar to Jaesa.

I'm not opposed to that myself but it depends on how it's implemented.
Node guarder

Helig
08.06.2012 , 09:05 AM | #648
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
I don't think ME/DA characters are deeper than TOR characters.

All suffer the same "issues" with being characters in the type of story-telling medium you see in video games (i.e., the fact that the player is given more control over how the story plays out vs. the lack of control over story that a reader of a novel has).
Dunno, I enjoyed ME - especially DA characters way more. They get significantly more dialogue time, a lot more dialogue options, background, etc.

In ToR, companion storylines seem to be very linear. You get the dialogue popup, you get, basically, what amounts to one (and rather stumpy) branch of conversation with a DA companion. In my view, you get to experience a very bare-bones description, as well as a 1-2 sidequest subplots. Maybe I'm just spoilt by previous Bioware quality, but... this just doesn't seem enough. It feels watered-down, really.

Might be because you get to "touch" your companion's background in their sidequests - interact with it. In ToR, it's mostly a dry Codex entry with dating site-like "Likes-dislikes" description, and a couple of sidequests that don't give you a lot more insight into the background. Exclusing plot-centric characters, like Kira Carsen and Jaesa, that is.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

stuffystuffs
08.06.2012 , 09:14 AM | #649
Quote: Originally Posted by Helig View Post
Dunno, I enjoyed ME - especially DA characters way more. They get significantly more dialogue time, a lot more dialogue options, background, etc.

In ToR, companion storylines seem to be very linear. You get the dialogue popup, you get, basically, what amounts to one (and rather stumpy) branch of conversation with a DA companion. In my view, you get to experience a very bare-bones description, as well as a 1-2 sidequest subplots. Maybe I'm just spoilt by previous Bioware quality, but... this just doesn't seem enough. It feels watered-down, really.

Might be because you get to "touch" your companion's background in their sidequests - interact with it. In ToR, it's mostly a dry Codex entry with dating site-like "Likes-dislikes" description, and a couple of sidequests that don't give you a lot more insight into the background. Exclusing plot-centric characters, like Kira Carsen and Jaesa, that is.
I can say that the conversations are shorter in TOR than in those other games, though there seems to be more than them.

Actually, I agree that companions in TOR need more personal missions. Some of them have missions you can go on but most kinda go off and do their own thing and you don't get to see what's going on in their story.
Node guarder

CommunitySupport
08.07.2012 , 08:36 AM | #650
Hello everyone; we had to remove a large number of posts from this thread. Please remember that this is not the place to debate whether or not this feature should be included in the game, and it is certainly not the place to discuss political issues or social issues. Please keep your posts on the topic of the thread. Thank you.