Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Kioma
08.02.2012 , 09:58 PM | #621
Quote: Originally Posted by MusedMoose View Post
...yes, I know those names were 4X and Blizz. So?
Yeah, that moment was lost on me both because I've never met either companion and because XXXX is a brand of beer.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

MusedMoose
08.02.2012 , 10:13 PM | #622
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
Yeah, that moment was lost on me both because I've never met either companion and because XXXX is a brand of beer.
4X is a droid, and Blizz is a jawa. That might be all the explanation you need.

Personally, I want to see relationships written for both of them, SGR and OGR. Because it would be utterly hilarious. I just want to see a fade-to-black end with the PC saying, "So that's what 'utinni' means."

...I really need to get some sleep.

Kioma
08.02.2012 , 10:33 PM | #623
4X is a droid, and Blizz is a jawa. That might be all the explanation you need.
Oh certainly, I knew roughly who they were, but still. A droid named after beer and... Well, Jawa just don't do it for me, I'm afraid. I'm a bit boring like that, I guess. :P

Personally, I want to see relationships written for both of them, SGR and OGR. Because it would be utterly hilarious. I just want to see a fade-to-black end with the PC saying, "So that's what 'utinni' means."

...I really need to get some sleep.
HA! 'How does THAT fit under that little robe?'
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Zandilar
08.03.2012 , 01:13 AM | #624
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
In that case, I still think it depends on the character and their romance arc. I think it can work fine for some but not others.

It's not necessarily lazy writing, it might just be that the romance arc is gender neutral and doesn't warrant differences.

But if you can't be convinced then I'll give up XD
I admit I was being somewhat narrow minded. I have taken a step back and realised that what I said was pretty stupid. (Sometimes it pays to do this thing called thinking before you write, Zandilar!)

I guess, in the end, SWTOR (and games like it, for example Mass Effect, as opposed to World of Warcraft) is a work of interactive fiction. While we can to a certain degree customise our characters, in the end my Female Jedi Knight is just THE Female Jedi Knight, with a different coat of paint, and maybe a different moral path. So that allows the same lines to be used for every single female JK travelling down the same moral path.

It is a limited medium, after all - and despite what I said, characters have to be written such that they fit within those limitations (primarily of space, because each line takes up space, and the more lines the more space is needed). So they are limited in exactly what they can put into the game.

The trick is making those lines work seamlessly, so that you don't notice that they're just the same line with a different pronoun - which is difficult, and when it fails, it can look like pretty bad (or worse, lazy) writing. (And there's no reason why they can't switch each line up anyway, since they're going to voice it twice anyway.)

Does that work better?

Quote:
If not, there's headcanon...I'll use it regardless b/c my headcanon romances are awesome and don't have that fade to black crap.
Head canon is fantastic. I especially love looking in on other people's head canons and seeing what they've come up with, and how they've differed from mine (there's some amazing fan fiction out there! Just not for this game, for some reason or other. ).
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

Tatile
08.03.2012 , 02:10 AM | #625
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
Head canon is fantastic. I especially love looking in on other people's head canons and seeing what they've come up with, and how they've differed from mine (there's some amazing fan fiction out there! Just not for this game, for some reason or other. ).
Damn :/ You may not want to visit the Fiction board anytime soon, then. There's a lot of head cannon there that people are pretty proud of.

stuffystuffs
08.03.2012 , 08:42 AM | #626
The trick is making those lines work seamlessly, so that you don't notice that they're just the same line with a different pronoun - which is difficult, and when it fails, it can look like pretty bad (or worse, lazy) writing. (And there's no reason why they can't switch each line up anyway, since they're going to voice it twice anyway.)

Does that work better?
I do agree that it can be bad if not done carefully and it definitely won't work with everyone. From what I know of Risha's character arc/romance, for example, there would need to be some differences with a female.

I've come across some Female SI/Ashara and Female SW/DS Jaesa fics if you are interested in those pairings (I'm not, personally)...there's not much I've seen else besides that.
Node guarder

Captain_Zone
08.03.2012 , 12:25 PM | #627
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
Forex reminds me of Liberty Prime from Fallout 3, and Blizz is the coolest companion in the entire game.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Tenebram
08.03.2012 , 07:25 PM | #628
So with all this F2P crap going on now that is supposedly to happen in fall.. are we even going to see these romances added this year as promised? I know its likely different teams working on them but with the number of projects they've announced and the number that have actually come out.. not to mention how often they seem to change gears it really doesn't seem like they know what the heck they are gonna do tomorrow let alone a month from now.

Raynezazki
08.03.2012 , 07:57 PM | #629
I have no idea. For now I splurged on a time card I'll rid this train for a few months and see where it takes me.

Just gotta stop having my PCs lag in level.

Though my SI feeling all lone as well as my JK (though I'm not sure he'd romance someone even if there was a s/s romance. He's supposed to be a model Jedi.)

theStirge
08.03.2012 , 08:49 PM | #630
Quote: Originally Posted by Tenebram View Post
So with all this F2P crap going on now that is supposedly to happen in fall.. are we even going to see these romances added this year as promised? I know its likely different teams working on them but with the number of projects they've announced and the number that have actually come out.. not to mention how often they seem to change gears it really doesn't seem like they know what the heck they are gonna do tomorrow let alone a month from now.
The thing to realize about F2P is that, contrary to what all the naysayers are crying about, if you look at games that went F2P, they all become wildly more successful than they were beforehand. The money starts rolling in to the company, and the content updates start coming fast and furious, usually with an increase in quality, not a drop. More than a couple games have gone from almost literally "We're shutting down the servers next month" to "Holy crap, we might have to buy more servers" when they went F2P.

I for one am excited about the change. I still believe in EA's ability to screw up anything good, but on the whole I think this will be a good thing for everyone that actually likes the game.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The n'Sappho Legacy, Drooga's Pleasure Barge
All Chiss all the time all day forever.