Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Halinmonk's Avatar


Halinmonk
08.02.2012 , 01:35 PM | #611
Quote: Originally Posted by Luhrsen View Post
When you say that the conversations MUST be different based on gender I'd like to ask for more specifics. For example, having Mako change her comments to call a female bounty hunter 'soft and feminine' instead of 'tough and manly' wouldn't necessarily work for my heavily tattooed and pierced amazon Rattataki. Just the fact of being able to customize your PC messes up most of the changes you might make.
Well it also wouldn't work for my pint-sized but extremely violent Bounty Hunter either :P

stuffystuffs's Avatar


stuffystuffs
08.02.2012 , 01:38 PM | #612
Quote: Originally Posted by Luhrsen View Post
When you say that the conversations MUST be different based on gender I'd like to ask for more specifics. For example, having Mako change her comments to call a female bounty hunter 'soft and feminine' instead of 'tough and manly' wouldn't necessarily work for my heavily tattooed and pierced amazon Rattataki. Just the fact of being able to customize your PC messes up most of the changes you might make.
Ah, that's a good point and why I'm not particularly too crazy about "gendered" romance dialog as it will probably be based on stereotypes of what "man" and "woman" should be and how men should interact with women vs. interacting with other men, etc.

Generally, the less the dialog focuses on specific like these, IMO, the better as there will always be variations among different PCs. In the game now, the PC's species is one example of this...it's pretty much ignored b/c you typically have 4 different choices when creating a PC (more so with the legacy system).

I could make a chiss Jedi and I think her interactions with her potential romance partners would be different than with a human, but the game dialog won't reflect this (but I can headcanon things in).
Node guarder

Fyurii's Avatar


Fyurii
08.02.2012 , 02:15 PM | #613
Quote: Originally Posted by Crezelle View Post
me too. pay to gay is NOT okay
I'm sorry, but that really made me choke on my drink out of laughter.
I do honestly agree though, SGR companions shouldn't be paid for. At least, not all of them.
So long as there's as many "pay to straight" as (got to quote you on this one!) "pay to gay" from the store who are not tied to class quests of future content, then that's fine.
Having either straight or SGR companions purchasable that have their own quest chain to get (once purchased), hopefully with some starting on the alternate starter world to our class (Tython for Trooper/Smug etc). The last part is only because I was disappointed when I started my JK character, and he went to Ord Mantell as part of his class quest.
________║≤o≥║___________
/_______TROOPER___≡≡≡≡≡≡≡╡
\_/‾‾‾‾ // ╝‾‾╚▄▄▄▄▄/‾‾‾‾‾

Crezelle's Avatar


Crezelle
08.02.2012 , 03:00 PM | #614
Quote: Originally Posted by Fyurii View Post
I'm sorry, but that really made me choke on my drink out of laughter.
I do honestly agree though, SGR companions shouldn't be paid for. At least, not all of them.
So long as there's as many "pay to straight" as (got to quote you on this one!) "pay to gay" from the store who are not tied to class quests of future content, then that's fine.
Having either straight or SGR companions purchasable that have their own quest chain to get (once purchased), hopefully with some starting on the alternate starter world to our class (Tython for Trooper/Smug etc). The last part is only because I was disappointed when I started my JK character, and he went to Ord Mantell as part of his class quest.
hehe sorry, i had to, it's such a catchy phrase >.>
and yes, all my money if they force me to unlock more snugglyluffs with my space husband harem >.>
Spoiler
Crezelle De'Chimera, of the Shadowlands
" Secret Agent Blue Booty, at your service. You Lead the way; I bring the kolto. "

rahadnak's Avatar


rahadnak
08.02.2012 , 03:04 PM | #615
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
If not, there's headcanon...I'll use it regardless b/c my headcanon romances are awesome and don't have that fade to black crap.
ha hahah, It might be the best solution by now

MusedMoose's Avatar


MusedMoose
08.02.2012 , 06:33 PM | #616
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
I really don't see how you can interpret that as possibly meaning that all LIs could be for both genders. I very much doubt that there's any room in that at all for them turning around and saying, 'Oh, we had a think about it and we figured it'd make sense with all of the romanceable characters.' No, sorry. They have specific characters they want to give the SGRA treatment to and they're focusing on ones that, to them, 'make sense'.
Oh, I didn't have any interpretation I was going for. I just like to make sure we're not spreading misinformation among ourselves here. No worries.

As for how this all ends up, I'm more than willing to just sit back and see what happens. I think it's safe to say that BioWare has already made their decisions on who gets the SGR upgrade - hopefully quite a while ago. But at the guild summit, Mr. Erickson did say they read the discussions on SGRs, so hopefully they took the community's desires into account. And the community here has always been overwhelmingly on the side of having existing companions for SGRs. I do think it would be interesting if some of the non-romanceable companions ended up as SGR-only, though that would only apply to male companions, since all female ones are currently romanceable.

Kioma's Avatar


Kioma
08.02.2012 , 07:16 PM | #617
Quote: Originally Posted by MusedMoose View Post
I do think it would be interesting if some of the non-romanceable companions ended up as SGR-only, though that would only apply to male companions, since all female ones are currently romanceable.
Unless Qyzen turns out to be female or something.

In all clear honesty I do think that some existing characters will be SGRA-capable, and I think that'll include some existing characters; I don't really have any speculations as to whom, particularly as I haven't met all of them yet, but considering the amount of work it'll take to put whole new companions in (which of course will have to happen eventually anyway) it seems logical to expand some of the existing companions to cut down on cost and development time. And also because we've become rather fond of them.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

wainot-keel's Avatar


wainot-keel
08.02.2012 , 08:01 PM | #618
These are Patrick Weekes articles (and some discussion below) about gender-blindness in games. He's specifically talking about Mass Effect but it still applies
Article 1
Article 2

LordTynell's Avatar


LordTynell
08.02.2012 , 09:19 PM | #619
I seriously doubt they will just give this to F2P players. It seems more a buy a companion pack; with benefits for both OGRA and SGRA. Either way, it's going to cost a sub or "cartel coins."

Anyway, off for a chicken sandwich!
Man, fanbois and haters are boring.

MusedMoose's Avatar


MusedMoose
08.02.2012 , 09:51 PM | #620
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
Unless Qyzen turns out to be female or something.

Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
In all clear honesty I do think that some existing characters will be SGRA-capable, and I think that'll include some existing characters; I don't really have any speculations as to whom, particularly as I haven't met all of them yet, but considering the amount of work it'll take to put whole new companions in (which of course will have to happen eventually anyway) it seems logical to expand some of the existing companions to cut down on cost and development time. And also because we've become rather fond of them.
Yeah, those last two points are a lot of why I'm mostly sure it's going to happen with existing companions. BioWare knows we love the stuff they've done, so giving us more of that seems like a good idea. And hey, at the guild summit, people were calling out the names of current companions!

...yes, I know those names were 4X and Blizz. So?
Quote: Originally Posted by LordTynell View Post
I seriously doubt they will just give this to F2P players. It seems more a buy a companion pack; with benefits for both OGRA and SGRA. Either way, it's going to cost a sub or "cartel coins."
There are several reasons to doubt it would happen that way.

First, BioWare knows same-sex relationships are the kind of thing their fans have come to expect in their games. See the quote in my sig and the interview it links to. Therefore, it makes sense that they'd want to make sure SGRs were available to all their players, not just ones who want to buy them.

Second, both BioWare and EA are gay-friendly companies, and I'm certain they're aware of the poodoo-storm that "pay for gay" would lead to. Can you imagine the bad press that would bring about? A company noted for equality and support of same-sex relationships suddenly says that hetero relationships are free but homosexual ones cost money? They'd be hounded by rights groups and the like before the press release had been out five minutes. No company wants that kind of bad press.

Third, consider the different kinds of content listed as being subscription-only and all that. Story content is available to everyone. Companions and all that go with them are story content; there's really nowhere else they fit. So saying SGRs will be included in story content, and therefore free for everyone, is a reasonably safe assumption.