Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Moitteva
06.15.2012 , 04:22 PM | #51
Hey there everyone,

We realize SGRAs are an important topic and the discussion can get a little heated, but we'd like to remind everyone to please stay civil to your fellow forum members and remain on-topic for the thread subject. A few of the latest posts were edging towards off-topic and/or rude.

As a gentle reminder to everyone, please remember the following:
  • Insults - Please do not resort to or use them in any way in your posts. Posts should be productive, not destructive.
  • Disruptive Behavior - Please do not post messages that are purposefully designed to provoke, antagonize, or otherwise elicit a negative emotional response.
  • Agree to Disagree - Be respectful of others' viewpoints even if they are opposite of your own. Discuss disagreements constructively.
  • Report, Don't Respond - Utilize the Report Post feature to report possible rules violations, rather than responding to or fighting them.
  • Ignoring - If you feel you simply cannot get along with another community member, please place them on your ignore list.

Thank you for keeping this thread respectful and constructive for all involved!

Tatile
06.15.2012 , 04:35 PM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by Lurkz View Post
Um, the vast majority of us are perfectly content (or well, willing at least) to wait for this since we know it will be this year.
They're this year? This is confirmed? I am the happiest camper right now. SO FREAKING HAPPY

If they're retconning existing companions to be bi- or pansexual, I put my vote down for Andronikus. Both my Inquisitors might be female, so I won't get anything from it, but I think ol' Nikky can be coaxed out of his shell. And Vette. I'd love to be able to romance Vette on my Juggy.

surlygentleman
06.15.2012 , 04:40 PM | #53
People need to understand that bioware would still need to get lucas arts permission to put same sex gender relationships in the game. That's where you should complain( for those who have a complaint in regards to this issue.

Tatile
06.15.2012 , 04:43 PM | #54
But... they're confirmed? Doesn't that mean Lucasart does not take issue with this? Haven't their already been same-sex relationships is the Star Wars universe?

Rayla_Felana
06.15.2012 , 04:47 PM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by surlygentleman View Post
People need to understand that bioware would still need to get lucas arts permission to put same sex gender relationships in the game. That's where you should complain( for those who have a complaint in regards to this issue.
Dear lord read the first page, LucasArts SUPPORTS Same-sex romances and even has them in it's official canon structure.

surlygentleman
06.15.2012 , 06:16 PM | #56
regardless... lucas arts supporting same sex relationships and fully authorizing them for their licensed products is totally different. Sorry that's how legally binding contracts work. Lucas Arts can say whatever they want while they take their time and putz around until nothing gets done. And no to date no lucas arts (at least star wars related) has had same sex relationships. Their was one in the first kotor, however Bioware pulled at the last moment just like the ME same sex relationship from the first game. Bioware is not a champion of equal rights for same sex couples. they are a company that ( at lest with this issue) is seeking to take advantage of a delicate situation. If they were the female relationship with Juhani from kotor would have been left in and shepard and kaiden would have been left in that game as well ( i mean ME not ME3)

Birna
06.15.2012 , 06:20 PM | #57
While I don't object to Corso Riggs (or anyone else, for that matter) becoming bisexual, his romance would need a crapton of rewriting for it to work, as currently it is really, really, REALLY bound up in gender roles. Opinions of if this is acceptable or not aside, he calls you a lady constantly, which um. Probably wouldn't work so well if he's addressing a man.

Doc's another one that I think refers to your gender a lot. I would love for him to be bi (he's my favorite romance) but he'd need a pretty substantial rewrite too, I think.

"Rewrite" is probably not quite the right word, as I mostly just mean "needs to have a male/male romance written" rather than "the female romance needs a rewrite to be gender neutral."

MusedMoose
06.15.2012 , 06:28 PM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
But... they're confirmed? Doesn't that mean Lucasart does not take issue with this? Haven't their already been same-sex relationships is the Star Wars universe?
Welcome to the thread. Always good to see new faces here, unless they're here to make trouble. Then they get reported.

There are same-sex relationships in Star Wars canon, yes:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Goran_Beviin
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Medrit_Vasur
And SGRs are confirmed for this year, yes. Daniel Erickson spoke at the guild summit in March, and stated that SGRs will be in with the game's story update, which is coming this year. I linked a video to that part of the guild summit in a post I made on the first page, take a look there.

Despite what others may say, I think it's safe to say that if there was any problem with SGRs being in the game, BioWare would not have told us that they were coming. MMO development is often fluid and lots of things change, but I don't think any company that wants to keep its customers is stupid enough to outright lie and say a feature was coming when they knew it wasn't. Some people may use the same-sex relationship with Juhani being removed from SW:KotOR to claim LucasArts won't support SGRs; to them, I say that game came out ten years ago and things have clearly changed.

Quote: Originally Posted by Birna View Post
While I don't object to Corso Riggs (or anyone else, for that matter) becoming bisexual, his romance would need a crapton of rewriting for it to work, as currently it is really, really, REALLY bound up in gender roles. Opinions of if this is acceptable or not aside, he calls you a lady constantly, which um. Probably wouldn't work so well if he's addressing a man.

Doc's another one that I think refers to your gender a lot. I would love for him to be bi (he's my favorite romance) but he'd need a pretty substantial rewrite too, I think.

"Rewrite" is probably not quite the right word, as I mostly just mean "needs to have a male/male romance written" rather than "the female romance needs a rewrite to be gender neutral."
Daniel Erickson said at the guild summit that SGRs were going to be completely new romances, not just the current romances with the genders switched. He said that doing such a thing would be bad writing, among other things. I posted the video from the guild summit that has SGR discussion in it on the first page of this thread, take a look.

Rayla_Felana
06.15.2012 , 06:46 PM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by surlygentleman View Post
regardless... lucas arts supporting same sex relationships and fully authorizing them for their licensed products is totally different. Sorry that's how legally binding contracts work. Lucas Arts can say whatever they want while they take their time and putz around until nothing gets done. And no to date no lucas arts (at least star wars related) has had same sex relationships. Their was one in the first kotor, however Bioware pulled at the last moment just like the ME same sex relationship from the first game. Bioware is not a champion of equal rights for same sex couples. they are a company that ( at lest with this issue) is seeking to take advantage of a delicate situation. If they were the female relationship with Juhani from kotor would have been left in and shepard and kaiden would have been left in that game as well ( i mean ME not ME3)
Juhani and Female Revan is still a very viable lesbian romance option, not available to Male Revan, just because it's not outright blatant fade to blacks, etc... that doesn't mean much of anything and to add even more on top, Visas Marr is an option for Female Exiles as well, as long as you gain no influence with Mical, he takes over her no matter what if he has even just some influence, it's easily missed and is almost an easter egg, but it is in there.

Same Sex relationships have been in so many BioWare games that the simple facts far outweigh anything you say.

Juhani, Sky, Silk Fox, Zevran, Liara, Kaiden, Samara, Morinth, Anders, Kelly, Isabella, Merrill, Leliana, Jack(a blatant bisexual.), and so many homosexual one-night stands I can't remember.

Callaron
06.15.2012 , 09:16 PM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post

Juhani, Sky, Silk Fox, Zevran, Liara, Kaiden, Samara, Morinth, Anders, Kelly, Isabella, Merrill, Leliana, Jack(a blatant bisexual.), and so many homosexual one-night stands I can't remember.
ME's Kaidan? O.O
For some reason I missed that one then, of course in most of my playthroughs he never survived ME1... =/