Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Kaisernick
08.01.2012 , 09:08 AM | #571
my guess is SGRA will become a MT

KidRaid
08.01.2012 , 11:12 AM | #572
Zandilar

You make good points . I think that up to a point you are correct that PCsexual is not a simple thing .
In a game the storytelling is much more fluid than in a book for 2 reasons. First it can be different for each readers (up to a point) and those difference can be because of my choices in the game. In that sense having a companion could be straight for my PC and Gay for yours is not necessarily bad writing . Also reason is that the companionís stories are much less detailed than they would be in a book. We get a few conversations to progress from first flirt to marriage and kids. This means that we as players have to fill the stories in our own imaginations from the clues we are getting. However even in the stories we do get there are limits to how much you can stretch things and not break it.

I will try and give an example
Lets take the agent. If I play a male straight agent I already may interpret Kaliyo`s back strory to mean she is straight . When I meet the twilek female I assume she is merely a friend. I flirt with Kaliyo and things progress. All works I donít see anything in the story to contradict my assumption. I could also have interpreted that meeting with the twilek as meaning there was more and therefore assume that she is bi. (this is actually how I took it) Again in the current game nothing prevents me from doing that. A no point does she contradict that assumption.
Now lets see it prom the point of view of the Female agent. The straight female as the games stands now can only assume Kalyio is straight because with the personality she is showing if she was not she would surely make some remarks or passes at the agent . However in a SGRA enabled game it would be easy enough to have those same conversations that she has with the male agent and it would not break the story. I however do not see ( save major rewriting) how her story could make her gay.

Similarly I could see the whole arc with Risha work well for female smuggler if she was bi but making her gay would again be difficult. In the other hand I donít recall any conversation with Akaavi that would not work for a gay Akaavi as long as the correct pronouns were used .

Re-reading this I am not sure how much sens it makes so you can ignore it if you think it is just incoherent rambling
Quote: Originally Posted by Elyree View Post
Basic tenet of economics: Something is worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. Not more, not less.

DrDeeN
08.01.2012 , 12:49 PM | #573
Quote: Originally Posted by MusedMoose View Post
Yeah, like I said, I'm willing to wait and see how F2P really affects the game. I'm glad at the promise of more frequent content updates, and it'll be interesting to see if this changes the marketing at all - since the storyline is the only thing that's completely unrestricted, they might start pushing it as a selling point again. If that's the case, we might actually see SGRs *GASP!* mentioned as upcoming content, since it's the kind of thing everyone will (at least in theory) have access to.

Considering the haters and nay-sayers' tendencies, I think it would be awesomely hilarious if SGRs ended up attracting people in droves who were glad to see these kinds of relationships available in a game like this.
Well, one of the reasons EA has chosen to implement f2p is the fact that players are leaving. There are quite a lot of MMOs out there, after all, and with "secret world" EA has introduced in-house competition. And how many MMOs will anyone realistically play, at once? So people make one or two choices, and that is that. But how many MMORPGs are out there with SGRA-content? Well currently none I guess , but that may well change.
One of the reason I chose to immerse myself in SWTOR is the potential for SGRAs, the other being KOTOR, of course. And I have a friend who has never before played a videogame, but is willing to jump into this one, for abovementioned reason. And the fun of it, of course. So introducing SGRAs even in f2p might garner more players than anticipated.

chuixupu
08.01.2012 , 01:04 PM | #574
I can't vouch for even the slightest validity, but some allegedly anonymous ex Bioware employee tweeted that they're changing the ESRB to Everyone and no SGR. Might be a good time to really push Bioware to make an updated official statement. Obviously it's an odd claim considering I don't think they'd actually go back and *edit* existing material.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Tatile
08.01.2012 , 01:16 PM | #575
Push them how, exactly? They don't read this thread.

stuffystuffs
08.01.2012 , 01:22 PM | #576
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
I can't vouch for even the slightest validity, but some allegedly anonymous ex Bioware employee tweeted that they're changing the ESRB to Everyone and no SGR. Might be a good time to really push Bioware to make an updated official statement. Obviously it's an odd claim considering I don't think they'd actually go back and *edit* existing material.
I don't see how they could change the rating to Everyone considering some of the content in the game already.
Node guarder

Tatile
08.01.2012 , 01:26 PM | #577
You mean the torture, genocide, racism, sexism, casual disregard for sentient life, slavery etc.? If those things can qualify this game for an "E" rating and yet being in love with someone is "M" then there's no hope left for this world. Might as well nuke it and start over with the people who aren't arse-backwards.

stuffystuffs
08.01.2012 , 01:39 PM | #578
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
You mean the torture, genocide, racism, sexism, casual disregard for sentient life, slavery etc.? If those things can qualify this game for an "E" rating and yet being in love with someone is "M" then there's no hope left for this world. Might as well nuke it and start over with the people who aren't arse-backwards.
I think you forgot the implied ****, but yeah.

Edit: apparently that word that means 'forcing someone to have sex with you' is blocked.
Node guarder

chuixupu
08.01.2012 , 01:40 PM | #579
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
I don't see how they could change the rating to Everyone considering some of the content in the game already.
Yeah, that's what I thought as well, but now I am certainly curious how, if at all, the new model is going to affect the future content of the game. I know they want to open the game up to as many people as possible, but I had always hoped they'd push the stories a little further rather than "play it safe". I take everything with a grain of salt, but over time I've learned to not dismiss even the silliest rumors entirely.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

stuffystuffs
08.01.2012 , 01:42 PM | #580
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
Yeah, that's what I thought as well, but now I am certainly curious how, if at all, the new model is going to affect the future content of the game. I know they want to open the game up to as many people as possible, but I had always hoped they'd push the stories a little further rather than "play it safe". I take everything with a grain of salt, but over time I've learned to not dismiss even the silliest rumors entirely.
Do you have a link to this tweet by any chance?
Node guarder