Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

stuffystuffs
07.31.2012 , 04:12 PM | #551
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
Kira's potential past flirtation and relationship might not ever be mentioned in the character arc as presented in the game, but it would have an effect, nonetheless, as part of her background.
Can you give any specific examples with this particular character?

As in, how would this change her character story as presented in game today?

Tatile
07.31.2012 , 04:33 PM | #552
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post

I'm really curious to see where this goes, as I am very confused at the moment.

I was thinking though, if there no stigma on homosexuality (and on sexualities in general) would that mean a higher instance of bi-romantics if not bisexuality? I'm not saying more gay=more bi but rather that the lack of stigma could allow for a more fluid approach to relationships.

rahadnak
07.31.2012 , 05:34 PM | #553
ok guys, so what do you think about this free to play news??? I'm afraid they will forget SGR for ever!! I'm not against free to play but perhaps this will affect the way they care for developements and new content. What do you think???

Tatile
07.31.2012 , 05:40 PM | #554
I think you use too many questions marks.

In all seriousness I'm concerned about content in general, though it's possible they'll have companions as something that can be purchased via the store (at a later date) and that some of those will be SGR's. It entirely depends on how they handle content in general, but seeing as story is "fluff" and is by extension somewhat easier to produce (in comparison to Operations and gear tiers) I think we could probably be seeing more with regards to SGR's.

But first the really need to stop beating around the *********** bush.

MusedMoose
07.31.2012 , 06:51 PM | #555
Quote: Originally Posted by rahadnak View Post
ok guys, so what do you think about this free to play news??? I'm afraid they will forget SGR for ever!! I'm not against free to play but perhaps this will affect the way they care for developements and new content. What do you think???
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
I think you use too many questions marks.
Agreeing with Tatile. But seriously...

With the news of FtP came the promise of more content sooner. I know that, when they talk about content, they usually mean things like Operations and Warzones and so forth. This seems natural, as companion-based content isn't a big selling point for this game, and FtP is all about promoting content that will get people to pay. However, "more content sooner" can also mean the SGRs we've been waiting for. So I don't think this really changes anything. I'm still holding BioWare to their word of "this year", as I've heard nothing to change that.

However. If at any point, SGRs become an option that requires any kind of payment to access, even Cartel Coins, I will cancel my subscription. I refuse to support a company that would charge extra for equal representation of this sort.

Kioma
07.31.2012 , 07:07 PM | #556
Quote: Originally Posted by MusedMoose View Post
However. If at any point, SGRs become an option that requires any kind of payment to access, even Cartel Coins, I will cancel my subscription. I refuse to support a company that would charge extra for equal representation of this sort.
I fully agree.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Crezelle
07.31.2012 , 08:03 PM | #557
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
I fully agree.
me too. pay to gay is NOT okay
Crezelle De'Chimera, of the Shadowlands
" Secret Agent Blue Booty, at your service. You Lead the way; I bring the kolto. "

Darth_Gao_Gao
07.31.2012 , 08:11 PM | #558
i'm sure bioware is going to continue developing your stories, including SGR's, because that will be profitable for them in a business model where the story is free. there is no way that this news implies that they will focus on cash shop items. no way, bro.

Zandilar
07.31.2012 , 08:14 PM | #559
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post

This is almost impossible for me to do... There are so many possibilities, and most of you will point out (and rightfully so), that just about anything changing in her past would change her in the present. And that would be when I say, I rest my case.

It's exactly the point I'm trying to make. Sexuality influences a person in ways that most of us just don't think about or even realize. This is not a bad thing at all, it's simply a part of being human. "PCsexual" characters are unrealistic because their sexuality, which doesn't actually exist except in reflection of the PC, has no influence on them whatsoever at any point in their lives, except in their relationship with the PC. (Keep in mind I am talking about the PCsexual character, not the truly bisexual character.)

I'll try the example thing -

Straight Kira meets a young bisexual woman early in her life, she and the woman become friends. The woman has a crush on Kira, Kira is flattered or not, but rejects her advances either way. Later on she meets bisexual/lesbian JK, gets all shy or defensive or whatever depending on the nature of the former relationship, eventually gets over that and is able to gently tease the JK about it.

Bisexual Kira meets a woman, they become friends. Kira gets a crush, makes an advance and is rejected - she becomes embittered and is distrustful of female flirting JK - OR she is rejected gently, is able to come to terms with it, but the friendship falls apart, when she meets female JK she is reluctant to express her interest, lest she loose her new friend. Her reaction to male JK might be different, because she might not have had the same kind of rejection, or she had a wonderful long term relationship with a guy that fell apart when something happened, or whatever... I think you get the picture.

As soon as the character is shown to have had a romantic relationship in the past, you've giving them a discrete sexuality - which might be bi, or gay, or straight, or somewhere in the middle. "PCsexual" characters won't have these kinds of things happening in their past, because they only reflect the PC's sexuality.

ETA: On the F2P stuff...

Here's the features.

Look at the very first one on the list - Story Content. It's listed as being fully accessible to both subscription and free players. OGRA/SGRA would be considered story content folks. Don't painc, the sky is not falling.
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

MusedMoose
07.31.2012 , 08:27 PM | #560
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
ETA: On the F2P stuff...

Here's the features.

Look at the very first one on the list - Story Content. It's listed as being fully accessible to both subscription and free players. OGRA/SGRA would be considered story content folks. Don't painc, the sky is not falling.
Excellent point, and thank you. I wasn't really worried that the sky was actually falling, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who's heard nightmare stories about F2P games turning into the sort of thing where nearly every action you could do beyond "attack", "loot", and "die" had a charge attached. Though now that I think about it, they might be a bit exaggerated. Thanks for the reassurance, though.
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Gao_Gao View Post
i'm sure bioware is going to continue developing your stories, including SGR's, because that will be profitable for them in a business model where the story is free. there is no way that this news implies that they will focus on cash shop items. no way, bro.
Yes, of course, because writers and voice actors and people who put together dialogue scenes are of course the driving force behind cash shop items, so all their time will clearly be taken up with that.