Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

SithKoriandr
01.15.2013 , 08:15 AM | #5281
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
A lot of good points but one sticks out: 'say nice things.' We tried that. For a long time we tried nice things. It got us exactly nothing. We only got one question answered at the Summit because it was sprung on the dev team.

No, I don't think they're out to get us, nor that they're inherently homophobic or even bad people. I'm sure they were overwhelmed at what it takes to run an MMO and underestimated the scope of their project - but communication with the pro-SGRA crowd was horribly mismanaged and there's no way around that.
Now this is just entitlement issues. There is nothing that says they as a company need to have great communication with any part of the player base. It's a great thing when they do of course. It's an awesome thing! But when making a product (which is what they're doing) they shouldn't be forced into adding a feature they dont have the time/money/whatever to allocate to it, more so if they're not sure it'll be worth the time/money.

Look in this thread at what was posted. "Taking this to GLAAD" or "The devs are obviously anti-gay because it wasn't in, in the first place"

Now that it's started to be put in, the last one seems to be backtracked to "Oh, well, they handled the information poorly." you know, nevermind that they may not have known what would make it in where yet.

SithKoriandr
01.15.2013 , 08:19 AM | #5282
Quote: Originally Posted by markcymru View Post
SithKoriandr, I quote myself:
Well then, the suggestion for how it should be implemented is simple. When they have time, one companion at a time.

It allows them to see if adding it to other classes is worth their time and effort. Does adding it in increase their player base? Does the class become less or more popular? If it stays the same, is it because the vast majority of players don't care about the story? Does it being back players who said "I'm quitting untill it's added in" as this would then have it added in.

markcymru
01.15.2013 , 08:21 AM | #5283
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Now this is just entitlement issues. There is nothing that says they as a company need to have great communication with any part of the player base. It's a great thing when they do of course. It's an awesome thing! But when making a product (which is what they're doing) they shouldn't be forced into adding a feature they dont have the time/money/whatever to allocate to it, more so if they're not sure it'll be worth the time/money.
Nice switch! In mid-argument you suddenly started talking about being "forced" to add stuff when the point you're questioning is that BW didn't communicate well when they went months without saying anything.
“The comments on any article about feminism justify feminism.” — Lewis's Law

Lent_San
01.15.2013 , 08:28 AM | #5284
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Well then, the suggestion for how it should be implemented is simple. When they have time, one companion at a time.
This is not the Suggestion forum though. I see you love this topic so much it's hard to let go and we appreciate you taking the time to answer to our every posts in here, instead of just making it into one post at a time, mingling different posters together, using one person's post versus another person's post as an attempt to demonstrate inconsistency in our argumentation. Well, good on you.

I'd rather stick to the original topic of discussion though, implementation and forms of implementation of SGR and communication of such, instead of debating ourselves.

As fascinating as we seem to be appearing to you, it's not the topic of this thread.

Royox
01.15.2013 , 09:00 AM | #5285
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkTrooperV View Post
Found this on my favorite website:

http://kotaku.com/5975904/biowares-h...hat-surprising

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...-ghetto-planet

Don't know if they've been posted or not.
Fox too:

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/01/...#ixzz2I3YYTcCs

chuixupu
01.15.2013 , 01:09 PM | #5286
Fox article was already posted and discussed, the other two were new and a little less stupid (not by a large margin)
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Tatile
01.15.2013 , 01:22 PM | #5287
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
Fox article was already posted and discussed, the other two were new and a little less stupid (not by a large margin)
Those individuals writing the articles (not at Fox, mind you) probably think they're doing us some great justice by saying "Look! Look at how Bioware treats its gays! Just look at it" with much exaggerated and self-congratulatory pointing, but in reality they're just making people hate us even more. The anti's see it as a furthering of our "social justice whaamublance" and those on the fence likely feel it to be an overbearing mole hill.

And it is so nice to see the cherry-picking copy-pasta being used by these writers and editors, rather than them having the balls to actually come along and talk to us, and ask us our honest opinions. No, I wouldn't say we're mostly exuberant and ecstatic with the news, but it's a step in the right direction - we just need more information from Bioware, not hand-wringing band-wagon'ing from the media (particularly those who sniffed at this topic for the past twelve months.)

chuixupu
01.15.2013 , 01:29 PM | #5288
Most journalism/news media sources are nothing but a circus. They want to create drama get people to gawk at it. They don't care about anything but getting ratings/viewers/hits. I am quite frankly very sick of it all. Especially after some of the major tragedies that have occurred and how they were handled.

I do hope Bioware can find a way to address some of this nonsense before it spirals out of control even more.

Tatile
01.15.2013 , 01:33 PM | #5289
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
I do hope Bioware can find a way to address some of this nonsense before it spirals out of control even more.
"We don't talk about up coming content nor do we give statements to the media."

Bioware have been happily deleting threads about the articles (they likely just devolve into flame wares anyway), so don't expect them to come out and say anything. I'm not.

chuixupu
01.15.2013 , 02:24 PM | #5290
They have made statements to the media in the past.

I don't expect anything, but there are times when they probably should. Not sure what, to be honest.