Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

chuixupu
01.14.2013 , 03:28 PM | #5241
lol, like I said, slow day in the news room. There is probably some people who just type in "Gay" into search engines because they know it's often a hot topic.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

sithgreyguard
01.14.2013 , 03:29 PM | #5242
edited -
the sgr needs an on off feature for male and females.

Tatile
01.14.2013 , 03:34 PM | #5243
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
lol, like I said, slow day in the news room. There is probably some people who just type in "Gay" into search engines because they know it's often a hot topic.
Lots of good pictures, but not enough kissing. Would recommend narrower search terms.

amnie
01.14.2013 , 03:35 PM | #5244
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
The cynic in me says that Bioware are putting in two (one lesbian, one gay man) [Flirt] options for same-sex, but that your character will be shot-down or the issue will be skirted and-let's-get-back-to-the-war-thank-you, and that the rest of the [Flirt]s will be pawing and fawning opposite-sex [Flirt]s so that the straight (=narrow) people won't feel left out
that's kind of what I'm afraid of. basically I'm afraid of being slapped in the face again and again.

I mean, I can even deal if there's only one 'actually gay' option and every other npc is straight... I guess it would make the whole 'deal' more realistic (then again there's not much realism in running around being blue and swinging a lightsaber)

my personal 'ideal' would really be that there's one straight and one gay romance (for both genders, so a total of 4 per faction - or maybe they can share quests like in voss or tatooine, I wouldn't mind that, either)
but you would be able to [flirt] with all of them, and then they would simply reply with 'nope, not intersted' or something similar.

plain and simple I hope that Makeb will introduce us to bioware no longer releasing content without 'gay' options (and damn you bioware please aknowledge that females getting way less flirt options is kinda dumb, too)

Tatile
01.14.2013 , 03:39 PM | #5245
Quote: Originally Posted by amnie View Post
plain and simple I hope that Makeb will introduce us to bioware no longer releasing content without 'gay' options (and damn you bioware please aknowledge that females getting way less flirt options is kinda dumb, too)
Only men play this game and some of them play female characters, why would you want to subject them to seeing more chances to [Flirt] with men than they already have? /sarcasm

Seriously, though, I think I spoke about this a bit in the Sexism Hammer thread that's around. Long story short - society's mixed and damaging approach to female sexuality makes a situation where someone felt it wasn't possible to give female characters the same amount of options as males. I'm going to say because **** shaming.

JediMB
01.14.2013 , 03:40 PM | #5246
Quote: Originally Posted by fabiyun View Post
There's some curious banter in DA2. I love the banter of your companions in DA2. Bethany asks Isabella about girls and what it's like to be with one. I think Isabella is the only real bi/pansexual character in DA2. Bethany seems curious/questioning, but that at the same time comes across as a young woman who hasn't really explored anything in life, and could as well be a lesbian. I never felt that all characters in DA2 were bi. To me they were all gay and lesbian except Isabella who's pansexual. What I like about DA2 is that it allows me to fill in their orientation, except for maybe Isabella. I understand that some see it as all bi characters, but if they hadn't done it the way they did, I wouldn't have been able to fill in the blanks myself, which is ultimately what I liked about it so much.
I can't recall at this point if I noticed anything that would imply Isabela was pansexual rather than bisexual, but her history makes it clear it's either of those. As for Merrill, Anders, and Fenris, I was of the attitude that it didn't matter. I mean... why couldn't companion characters have different sexual preferences in different playthroughs, just like the player characters?

And if all three of them actually are bisexual, then I don't see why that would be a problem. In my one DA2 playthrough both the Warden and Hawke were lesbian, so the odds of Hawke ending up with four bisexual companions don't really bother me. Sometimes unlikely things happen. And, heck, for all I know bisexual people in Thedas could have some innate inclination towards heroics.

Quote: Originally Posted by amnie View Post
strangely, I'm surprised fox news deems a video game report-worthy to begin with, but who knows what's going on inside their heards...

edit: is it normal for fox articles to not include who actually wrote them or am I just blind?
Oh, I'm pretty sure Fox News take every chance they can get to bash on video games.

And it seems to be anonymously posted under "Fox News Scitech". Cowards.
The Morrowbringer Legacy The Red Eclipse (PvE) [EU]
Deep into that darkness peering, you reach out your hand and grasp what you are searching for.
Now ring the bells that sweep away the darkness; the bells that beckon tomorrow's dawn.

chuixupu
01.14.2013 , 03:41 PM | #5247
Quote: Originally Posted by sithgreyguard View Post
just hope theres an option to turn it off for my male toons.
There is, it's called don't click the [Flirt] option.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

amnie
01.14.2013 , 03:43 PM | #5248
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Only men play this game and some of them play female characters, why would you want to subject them to seeing more chances to [Flirt] with men than they already have? /sarcasm

Seriously, though, I think I spoke about this a bit in the Sexism Hammer thread that's around. Long story short - society's mixed and damaging approach to female sexuality makes a situation where someone felt it wasn't possible to give female characters the same amount of options as males. I'm going to say because **** shaming.
oh yeh. I study sociology, so I'm pretty 'desillusionated' about pretty much... everything. lol.

doesn't mean I'll just sit back and be silent, though. I am not one to picket signs and scream bloody murder, but I will post the very problems I see here on the forums every once in a while so nobody forgets :]

PluckyDog
01.14.2013 , 05:07 PM | #5249
Quote: Originally Posted by fabiyun View Post
There's some curious banter in DA2. I love the banter of your companions in DA2. Bethany asks Isabella about girls and what it's like to be with one. I think Isabella is the only real bi/pansexual character in DA2. Bethany seems curious/questioning, but that at the same time comes across as a young woman who hasn't really explored anything in life, and could as well be a lesbian. I never felt that all characters in DA2 were bi. To me they were all gay and lesbian except Isabella who's pansexual. What I like about DA2 is that it allows me to fill in their orientation, except for maybe Isabella. I understand that some see it as all bi characters, but if they hadn't done it the way they did, I wouldn't have been able to fill in the blanks myself, which is ultimately what I liked about it so much.
I love the banter of our companions in both DA and DA2. I wish SWToR would implement that. I agree with you completely about being able to fill in the blanks. They did so well on DA2 in that regard. Wonderful work.

PluckyDog
01.14.2013 , 05:10 PM | #5250
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
Good grief, look at the media's fun new punch line.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/01/...on-gay-planet/

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/42...gay-planet.htm

http://www.destructoid.com/star-wars...medium=twitter

"The Gay Planet".

Really, people? REALLY? Not sure if I find this funny or sad at this point.

But hey, SWTOR made it to Fox news.
Actually, when I first read about the upcoming SGR flirts, my first thought was "Gay Planet". I felt insulted. Which is why I had asked the questions I did earlier. It feels silly to me that I have to go to Gay Planet/Pride Planet/Rainbow Planet... whatever, to acquire the illusion of possibly fitting into the Star Wars universe.