Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Quething
01.02.2013 , 07:05 PM | #4851
Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
Ok, this is going way off topic, but this is inconsistent with what I've read and with what's in the game. My info is they scrapped SGRA before launch in fear of backlashes. Whatever. Back on topic now.
Did you... read the rest of my post?

Your info is wrong. Trust me. This is not my first "what the hell is up with queer romance (or the lack thereof) in your game, BioWare" thread. I've been riding the Mass Effect train since Day 1, and riding BioWare about their crappy lopsided implementation of s/s romance in Mass Effect since about Day 2. I've had all the arguments, seen all the dev quotes, argued all the political points and dismissed all the spurious "eew icky gays" claims with lots of feisty fannishly entitled contempt. And I can absolutely assure you that Ash and Kaidan were never intended to be queer in ME1. There was a brief moment late in development when the idea flitted across their minds and was dismissed. That is all.

It's actually pretty telling, honestly, because - watch me drag this back around to topic - it's the same thing that happened here, with SWTOR. They planned out these romances, and in a fog of typical unexamined heteronormativity, they planned them all out as heterosexual (and the squads as overwhelmingly male). Then late in the game it was like "oh wait queer fans! But we wrote these romances that are all 'hey female PC I love how female you are' and we can't just flip the gender toggles! This will take so much work to fix! It's too late in development! Shelve it! No queermance for you!"

In Mass Effect it took us five years of yelling to get them to fix it. By that measure, actually, SWTOR's doing fairly well.

Lent_San
01.02.2013 , 07:27 PM | #4852
Quote: Originally Posted by Quething View Post
Did you... read the rest of my post?
In Mass Effect it took us five years of yelling to get them to fix it. By that measure, actually, SWTOR's doing fairly well.
There are long cutscenes and dialogue still present in the game, enough to convince me it was more than just a 'brief idea'. How big a deal you want to make this is up to the observer, I'd guess though.

Anyways, do we have an ETA for Makeb yet ? Or is it still 'some time in spring'?

SithKoriandr
01.02.2013 , 08:20 PM | #4853
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
Actually, there was a thread about this a while back, and several people cited examples of some of the romance letters where the companion specifically mentioned that their species were not compatible (Twi'leks apparently aren't compatible with humans, for instance).
Now that's odd, considering there's twilek/human hybrids in TCW. Hmmm...

natashina
01.02.2013 , 08:44 PM | #4854
Watch, it'll be Valentine's Day, if Makeb isn't the next patch. Wouldn't that be kinda nice?

If it is the next patch, probably around the end of the month. About 3 weeks or so, but that's just me pulling a guess out of thin air.

I can understand why some are jaded and leaving. Your words and support will be missed.

At least try to keep your eyes open for more SGRs in this game if you do go.

**hugs**

Back to Dragon Age...

natashina
01.02.2013 , 08:54 PM | #4855
I just checked Facebook and GLAAD did check back in with me:

Quote: Originally Posted by GLAAD
Hi there Real Name,

We have posted an update on our website:

http://www.glaad.org/blog/star-wars-...available-soon
Thanks!
I wanted to share that with you guys.

Narien
01.02.2013 , 09:08 PM | #4856
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Wouldn't be the first time TCW radically contradicted established canon.

Kodyack
01.02.2013 , 09:10 PM | #4857
They spoke words? With actual syllables? That didn't combine to form the phrase "No more information at this time."?
Brb I'm gonna wake up now.
It is such a quiet thing; to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it. | Never Forget The Bothan Spies.

chuixupu
01.02.2013 , 09:37 PM | #4858
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
From what I recall reading, there are plenty of genetically engineered hybrids, just not "natural" ones.

Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
Watch, it'll be Valentine's Day, if Makeb isn't the next patch. Wouldn't that be kinda nice?

If it is the next patch, probably around the end of the month. About 3 weeks or so, but that's just me pulling a guess out of thin air.
Makeb isn't the next patch - According to what Hickman said in today's blog:

we have two excellent updates coming your way in the upcoming months. In our Game Update 1.7 you should look forward to some interesting changes to a special PvP area that you have all been asking about (sorry for being cryptic, but this is technically not announced yet), as well as a visit from some old friends, The Gree Enclave (though maybe not in a way you would expect). And later in the spring, our Digital Expansion: Rise of the Hutt Cartel! The team has been working for a long time on this, and is very excited to get it out to you.

So we have 1.7 coming next, and February 12-14 is a good guess.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

natashina
01.02.2013 , 09:44 PM | #4859
Wow, the State of the Game thread is highly interesting.

Popcorn anyone?

You know this is getting good. My popcorn is bacon flavored.

Although a mod needs to come onto there and let them know about the romance toggle rule...

I can't help but wonder what some of the...very strong opponents think of all of this. I'm just glad it's finally out in the open after all these months.

VelvetSanity
01.02.2013 , 10:04 PM | #4860
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
My popcorn is bacon flavored.
Bacon...flavored...popcorn...

Eww. I like bacon, but only as bacon and eggs, or in a bacon cheeseburger, or as an additional meat topping on my pizza...what is it with this "baconize everything" meme?
Pre-CU Bria refugee
www.therepopulation.com - sandbox MMO currently in alpha
classless, levelless, 3 playable factions, it even has ENTERTAINERS!
EA/BW: Thanks for the SGR update. Please tell us if timetables change again