Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

SithKoriandr
01.02.2013 , 02:15 PM | #4781
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
I am so sorry for not being a mood that can be quickly filled with joy. Please, continue to tell me how much of a horrible person I am.

Like I already said, it's nice that we have an answer and it's nice that Mr. Hickman acknowledged our wait.

I'm a little bit concerned about companion romances, what with the news that individual class stories won't be, in the future. That implies that current companions won't be receiving same-sex romances in the future (Mr. Gonzalez is free to tell me I'm wrong on that assumption, but he won't), meaning that those who have waited for these companions are now left out. I feel that's a shame.
It was more that people kept saying "this thread is just about yes or no" they get the answer, and I'm saddened that I was right. Even with the answer being yes, it's responce is basically "still not happy"

When now, you know it's not being excluded, you can play a game posters are saying they like, knowing the content is going to be in there with the next expansion, and expanded on even more at a later date (no date given for sure, but I also said giving exact dates is just a terrible idea for an MMO dev).

Now a good question after this one, imo, would be "If they did go about making companions SGR, would you be okay with them doing one class at a time in various patches (this doesnt mean one per new patch, but here's a patch and we got this class SGR done) or does you prefere all at once or not at all?"

I'd be okay with them doing it by class in various patches myself.

Melycinya
01.02.2013 , 02:15 PM | #4782
Quote: Originally Posted by Narien View Post
On this point, it sounds (and this may be wishful thinking more than anything fact based so take the follow with a grain of salt) that they decided to actually deal with the "post-continuity" issue.

To wit: if they're having to devise a way to make specific companions SGR compatible from different points in the story line (to accomodate players who don't want to reroll just to experience the SGRs) it's going to be a hell of a lot more complicated than going back and tweaking the gender checks at the "original" branch points and rewording certain specific cutscenes.
You're right, I shouldn't post on lack of sleep, haha. Forgive me if this ramble isn't terribly coherant, but...it's absolutely possible they are, in addition to having to record the dialogue, working on a way to reset companion conversations. Oh, may I hold out hope it's a function released for all, with a free optional reset via a mailed item or some such? One that leaves them at their current affection, but allows you to redo their conversations up to that point, without gaining affection (to keep it balanced). I missed out on a few screenshots with my first character.
I love turning heads.
My favorite part is the kr-KRAK just before they throw themselves at my feet.

Tatile
01.02.2013 , 02:16 PM | #4783
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
Yeah. I think your hesitation to be too optimistic is probably quite understandable, considering how long it's been since the last update.
Well hey, it's better than:

• Added some [Flirt] options to some NPCs.
  • Included some additional dialogue to some companions.

buried in the patch notes.

Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
It was more that people kept saying "this thread is just about yes or no" they get the answer, and I'm saddened that I was right. Even with the answer being yes, it's responce is basically "still not happy"

When now, you know it's not being excluded, you can play a game posters are saying they like, knowing the content is going to be in there with the next expansion, and expanded on even more at a later date (no date given for sure, but I also said giving exact dates is just a terrible idea for an MMO dev).

Now a good question after this one, imo, would be "If they did go about making companions SGR, would you be okay with them doing one class at a time in various patches (this doesnt mean one per new patch, but here's a patch and we got this class SGR done) or does you prefere all at once or not at all?"

I'd be okay with them doing it by class in various patches myself.
Obviously I'd prefer it all to be introduced at once (with the aide of a time machine, preferably one driven by the Doctor), but if Bioware communicate to use that individual class-based patch updates was necessary due to the issues of adding these onto live servers, or whatever, then I could understand, even accept, them being introduced per class (going "derp, because EYE AM BIOWAREH" is not a valid reason, to me).

It's not so much the issue of having or not having dates for MMO development - everyone knows developing on a game that's live is more problematic than one that's still on the internal servers, or that you're developing DLC for - it's their lack of communication that I have a problem with. I suppose that's the dreamer in me that thinks that a game company could come out and say "sorry, we're pretty sure that content X is going to be delayed for a while, possibly a quarter at this rate (because reasons)".

And diddums that we made you feel right. Oh, it's so terrible that a glean of information is considered somewhat unsatisfactory after months of talking and asking about this content, laying out a simple, bullet point list of what we want to know and having a separate thread for NPC Flirts, which are not companion romances.

Taleera
01.02.2013 , 02:20 PM | #4784
Well! These are certainly good news. To me, too, this is not exactly what I've been hoping for (at best being "flirts" rather than "romances"), but certainly more than I dared to expect by now ... and more importantly, it entrenches the developers' willingness to support SGR in this game, basically pushing open a door that will be hard to close, no matter how much the haters and bigots rail against it. Given enough time, people will adapt as they always do, so in a way it even promotes acceptance in real-life society, no matter by how small a part.

My Sith Duelist will continue to hold out for Jaesa, but at least I feel a little more optimistic now.

So ... thanks for the update, and Happy New Year everyone!

Quote: Originally Posted by Quething View Post
On a disappointing note, I just found out that the profanity filter in ingame chat (which I turned off on day one) filters "bisexual." Two steps forward, one step back with my esteem for these guys on this front.
You sure it's not just "sexual", or even just "sex"?

From what I read in the past, wordfilter complaints in online games are often directed against some weird word where the players don't understand what could be wrong with it - when in fact it was just a part of the word that triggered the alarm.

stuffystuffs
01.02.2013 , 02:22 PM | #4785
To be fair I don't think they're implying they should be considered so. I think they're getting some content out because it would be wrong to continue to withhold it, and they can't have the whole lot done because someone made a judgement call about how much effort and cost it'd take, and got it wrong.

To me that suggests that they're taking SGRAs very seriously, and want it to be a quality feature before releasing it.

But then I am a critical optimist.
That's possible of course.

But for me (who wants romance content on par with what is in game for companions) this news isn't really anything new...it's more of the same "wait and see maybe".

Quething
01.02.2013 , 02:31 PM | #4786
Quote: Originally Posted by Taleera View Post

You sure it's not just "sexual", or even just "sex"?
Further testing shows in fact it is "sex." Which puts players in the odd position of being able to say "****" but not "homosexual." Definitely an oversight in implementation there.

Lent_San
01.02.2013 , 02:34 PM | #4787
WOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Couldn't have said it any better.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
I guess it's because I know I've got crappy work days ahead of me, but am I the only one a little... underwhelmed?
Well, my first response was the same. I was like "Huh?", then "...Yeah!", then "Oh.... <.<"

But you know, NPC flirts are good for starters, I'm willing to be cautiously optimistic. I mean, my femConsular romanced Iresso, but never took him out to fight, so in a way, that could be quite similar to what might be happening with Makeb and flirt/romance options.

I'm glad to hear they're still working on companion SGRs though, even if they get implemented at a later date. That means there's still hope for my smuggler and Corso.

Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
Woah woah woah. Cupcakes? I support this idea completely and thoroughly.
In all honesty, as Jeff stated in his blog, apologies for such a delay in an official response, but I'm glad we were finally able to provide it for you. Thanks for your patience through all of this. Here's to a great 2013 for SWTOR and its community!
Thanks and the same to you. Hope to see you around here more often, this, despite the occasional grumpiness, is quite an entertaining thread with a nice bunch of people. And of course *cough*, we're always interested in hearing more about what will be awaiting us in the future.

Edit: On another note, what a worthy update for the SGR FAQ. I'm willing to call this a milestone, albeit a small one.

Tatile
01.02.2013 , 02:44 PM | #4788
Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
Edit: On another note, what a worthy update for the SGR FAQ. I'm willing to call this a milestone, albeit a small one.
Read that wrong the first time and thought you were suggesting an blog column on the site which was an SGRA FAQ.

Which would actually be awesome and really helpful *nudge nudge*

Of course with all the nudges and hints we've been giving over the past couple of months, the Bioware team are no longer sitting in chairs and all have broken ribs. So instead I shall stroke you gently, thusly:

Read that wrong the first time and thought you were suggesting an blog column on the site which was an SGRA FAQ.

Which would actually be awesome and really helpful *caress caress*

Taleera
01.02.2013 , 02:47 PM | #4789
Quote: Originally Posted by Quething View Post
Further testing shows in fact it is "sex." Which puts players in the odd position of being able to say "****" but not "homosexual." Definitely an oversight in implementation there.
Well, it's difficult to ban any and all bad words; there will always be more - though I'm sure customer support could be open to suggestions regarding further must-haves.

But hey, at least it means it's not the step back you suspected.

chuixupu
01.02.2013 , 02:54 PM | #4790
Quote: Originally Posted by Taleera View Post
Well, it's difficult to ban any and all bad words; there will always be more - though I'm sure customer support could be open to suggestions regarding further must-haves.

But hey, at least it means it's not the step back you suspected.
It would be kind of funny if I tried to say homogeneous or homophone and it was filtered. I guess filtering tech is just not very smart.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant