Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Quething's Avatar


Quething
01.02.2013 , 01:43 PM | #4761
Quote: Originally Posted by Melycinya View Post
I think what he's saying is that the first run of SGRs won't be companions, because that's taking a long time (I can't help but wonder if there's an issue with voice actor(s) here...what else could be so much more complicated than the other romances?), and that the first run will be NPC flirts, instead.
This was what I got from it too, yeah.

As for "what's complicated," some romances would need rewrites. While many romances are pretty gender-neutral (Vector and Kira spring to mind) and wouldn't require much time or effort, not all are. Corso, for example, has the Carth thing going; he's very very enthusiastic about the fact that you're a woman, and likes referencing it every third sentence and talking up how beautiful you are. It would take more re-writing than just swapping out pronouns to make him s/s viable. It still shouldn't take this much time, but I suppose the layoffs and f2p stuff and general implosion at headquarters has wreaked a lot of havoc.

Quote: Originally Posted by MoogleNut View Post
Y'know what? I should be happy we finally got a response, but I'm really not.

Basically, all the ideas and suggestions we've been encouraged to make (into a void no less) over the past year, and it boils down to this - buy Makeb or no inclusion for you - so 'pay-for-gay'.

I can't be the only one pissed off by this
I was pissed off about thirty pages ago, but I'm zen now; it appears that you won't be able to level to 55 without buying Makeb either (and therefore, not be able to participate in endgame content like ops and flashpoints or endgame PvP), making your $10 more of a mandatory gameplay fee than an optional isolated content purchase.

TaxMilliont's Avatar


TaxMilliont
01.02.2013 , 01:45 PM | #4762
First time posting, long time lurking (didn't keep track, but I've been reading every day for a few hundred pages).

Just have to pop in and show my support. LGBT issues lie very close to my heart. And I'll admit I want this in the game for RP reasons as well. I consider it a huge part of my Agent's personality, for instance.
Always enjoyed the game, but the weird handling of this topic was starting to wear down on my already cautiously positive view on BioWare (FYI, I was part of the Retake movement, donating to charity and the cupcake campaign for ME3).

I was having a rather terrible day until I read the news. I'm thoroughly convinced that you guys, Natashina and everyone, brought this answer on. You broke the silence, for better or for worse.
I see some people are disappointed or angered by Hickman's update. I'm an unshakeable optimist, so I'm simply just gleeful at the moment. Though I understand the concerns. No way of knowing how/if we're getting more than these NPC flirts, but honestly right now I'm just incredibly thankful for what we're getting. Makes it a lot easier to support BW and this cause in the future. This is a good first step.

A big thank you and much love to everyone who posted here, sent emails or otherwise made noise so SGRA's didn't end up forgotten in the dark!

Kioma's Avatar


Kioma
01.02.2013 , 01:46 PM | #4763
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
No. Of course not. But I'm basing this on a few factors as well.

1) Old companions require the old voice actor brought back for a few new lines or there will just be a disconnect in the scene.

2) A few cut scenes redone if not new ones all together.

I'm actually curious as to what will happen with cutscenes (Which I'm guessing Makeb will have) and ones companions in Makeb. Could it be, if they do get the voice actors back for any new needed lines, will the only thing holding them back for SGR scenes be the actual animation time and possible game mechanic triggers?

Or will Makeb make use of previous companion chat lines or just have the companions stay quiet the whole time?
it's been bandied about a bit that the voice acting might actually have been partially done even before launch. If they planned to add SGRAs in (which they assure us they did) then they might have gone as far through the development process as getting some of the voice acting done (though obviously not all of it) before they shelved the feature. But that's all sheer speculation, of course.

Also, with SGRAs being added to some NPCs, I wonder to myself if one of the issues they've had in getting more voice acting done is due to the voice actors themselves not being available due to other work? Just a thought...
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Melycinya's Avatar


Melycinya
01.02.2013 , 01:47 PM | #4764
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
I'm actually curious as to what will happen with cutscenes (Which I'm guessing Makeb will have) and ones companions in Makeb. Could it be, if they do get the voice actors back for any new needed lines, will the only thing holding them back for SGR scenes be the actual animation time and possible game mechanic triggers?

Or will Makeb make use of previous companion chat lines or just have the companions stay quiet the whole time?
I believe only class story quests ever have companions make commentary. Makeb has no class story quests, so the companion voice actors probably wouldn't have been called in for it. That said...it could be why SGRs are taking so long. Optimisctically, the VAs are just busy and can't come in. Less optimistically...they might have personal reasons they wouldn't want to, and negotiations have been in the works.
I love turning heads.
My favorite part is the kr-KRAK just before they throw themselves at my feet.

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
01.02.2013 , 01:48 PM | #4765
Quote: Originally Posted by MoogleNut View Post
Y'know what? I should be happy we finally got a response, but I'm really not.

Basically, all the ideas and suggestions we've been encouraged to make (into a void no less) over the past year, and it boils down to this - buy Makeb or no inclusion for you - so 'pay-for-gay'.

I can't be the only one pissed off by this
It's not "pay-to-gay" untill they make a companion that's only available in the cartel market (and my guess is it'll be a free option for subs, if that is the case...like HK)...it's pay for the expansion and there's SGR flirt options with it.

DarkTrooperV's Avatar


DarkTrooperV
01.02.2013 , 01:51 PM | #4766
*Gets run over by a Gundark*

*Then gets run over by ninja'd posts*

*Then gets run over by the thread exploding in elation*

*Gets up from the ground, completely trampled, looking all goofy and contorted* Did anyone get the license plate of that information we just got? Which way did they go, George? Which way did they go? *Collapses, seeing stars*
The Joker: They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these... these civilized people, they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve.

AelixVII's Avatar


AelixVII
01.02.2013 , 01:54 PM | #4767
Quote: Originally Posted by Melycinya View Post
Less optimistically...they might have personal reasons they wouldn't want to, and negotiations have been in the works.
This is what I've always wondered, but most VA's tend to be pretty open minded and hey they're getting paid and are under a contract so it might not be that ominous.

In any case the update is a good first step, I did a double take reading it

Narien's Avatar


Narien
01.02.2013 , 01:55 PM | #4768
Quote: Originally Posted by Melycinya View Post
I think what he's saying is that the first run of SGRs won't be companions, because that's taking a long time (I can't help but wonder if there's an issue with voice actor(s) here...what else could be so much more complicated than the other romances?)
On this point, it sounds (and this may be wishful thinking more than anything fact based so take the follow with a grain of salt) that they decided to actually deal with the "post-continuity" issue.

To wit: if they're having to devise a way to make specific companions SGR compatible from different points in the story line (to accomodate players who don't want to reroll just to experience the SGRs) it's going to be a hell of a lot more complicated than going back and tweaking the gender checks at the "original" branch points and rewording certain specific cutscenes.

Quething's Avatar


Quething
01.02.2013 , 01:56 PM | #4769
Quote: Originally Posted by Melycinya View Post
I believe only class story quests ever have companions make commentary. Makeb has no class story quests, so the companion voice actors probably wouldn't have been called in for it. That said...it could be why SGRs are taking so long. Optimisctically, the VAs are just busy and can't come in. Less optimistically...they might have personal reasons they wouldn't want to, and negotiations have been in the works.
Eh. "I don't want to voice a s/s scene" is about the least likely explanation for a missing actor/scene in the history of video game design. Very few actors have that much power over their contracts once signed, even fewer are that bigoted, even fewer still are that stupid - it's not an industry where you get a lot of leeway to turn down jobs and still put food on your plate.

Quething's Avatar


Quething
01.02.2013 , 01:59 PM | #4770
Quote: Originally Posted by Narien View Post
On this point, it sounds (and this may be wishful thinking more than anything fact based so take the follow with a grain of salt) that they decided to actually deal with the "post-continuity" issue.

To wit: if they're having to devise a way to make specific companions SGR compatible from different points in the story line (to accomodate players who don't want to reroll just to experience the SGRs) it's going to be a hell of a lot more complicated than going back and tweaking the gender checks at the "original" branch points and rewording certain specific cutscenes.
Good point!

Scratch my earlier criticism of their work speed, if this is true. (Although that sort of criticism and skepticism is very much the sort of thing that them telling us details of what they're actually doing would alleviate.)