Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ncdoc
12.30.2012 , 06:32 PM | #4661
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
Nope. I'm not pinning all my hopes on getting an update by Jan 1st, and I knew that when helped start the emailing campaign last month.

I bear in mind one nit-picky detail about the Guild Summit announcement.

They never specified in 2012. They were actually very careful not to clarify if it was in 2012 or within the year of the Guild Summit (which would be March 2013)

So no reason to give up at this point. As we add more pressure to BW/EA, the greater our chances of getting an answer are. We've been writing the media as well as other groups, so I'm going that route.

I keep truckin'. I hope you can do the same and not give up.

I'll say again that it shouldn't have come to this, but BW:A really has it coming to them.
Ok Nats if you'll hold the banner I'll keep on charging right behind you. After all your brave posts here has kept my hope alive this long.

Now, time to channel my Braveheart 'Freedom' speech (yeah, before the actor's rants thank you)...

Tenebram
12.30.2012 , 06:33 PM | #4662
One day left before the original deadline or at least what I felt was implied.. but obviously it isn't going to happen. Can only hope it comes soon.. ironically if it is in the expansion it could be considered like the argument from the original incarnation of this thread.. you have to pay extra for it

Nozybidaj
12.30.2012 , 07:21 PM | #4663
Wow, more strawmen on this last page alone than in the entire state of Kansas. These repeat trolls are really getting their act down now.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tenebram View Post
One day left before the original deadline or at least what I felt was implied.. but obviously it isn't going to happen. Can only hope it comes soon.. ironically if it is in the expansion it could be considered like the argument from the original incarnation of this thread.. you have to pay extra for it
Pay2Gay. Not only do you get the pleasure of being excluded and discriminated against for the last year now you get to PAY Bioware to tell them it was okay to do so. I'm sure that is going to go over well. I would hope that would be the point folks still holding out hope would realize BW-Austin just doesn't get it.

SirGladiator
12.30.2012 , 07:23 PM | #4664
Quote: Originally Posted by Baptes View Post
If you think about it, it cost them more to exclude SGRAs with the extra programming and voice work than it would have to include it.

Still not sure there isn't some upper management at BW Austin so against SGRAs that they throw every obstacle they can in the path. I mean they intentionally made the game cost more money than it had to by delaying SGRAs. And in my experience, very few things trump money. One of them is belief. So it could be a someone (or a group) that has taken it upon themselves to make the exclusion of SGRAs as their own personal Crusade.

Now I'd hope that wouldn't be the case in this day and age, but in the total absence of anything that we get regarding this subject conspiracy theories will always come up.
You're exactly right that it cost more to exclude SGRAs. All the other storylines play out exactly the same whether you're male or female, aside from the occasional pronoun difference and very rare acknowledgement of your gender or race. That's because its easier/cheaper for them to do, while still being plenty of fun for the players. SImply applying that exact same model to the romances would've been exactly what we wanted, and it would've been the same result, cheaper and easier and still plenty of fun. Of course you always like it when they throw in those little references to your gender or race, but just like in the rest of the game, it isn't necessary for it to still be plenty of fun. And I certainly wouldn't want to be denied the ability to do any of the other storylines/quests because of my gender either.

You're also right that it was done due to an agenda, a preference by the head fellow or fellows, to not have SGRs in the game. They went to a lot of trouble to make sure that we didn't get any romances at all, or even any flirt options. The idea that they wouldn't even let us have flirt options, thats a lot of trouble to go to, keeping all that out for us. Its like I said before, and others have said, just give everybody the same options, its easier, its cheaper, and everybody is happy. Thats why they do it that way in other games, whether you're talking about Skyrim, DD, Fallout NV, DA2, whatever, making the romances (and flirts) available to everybody is SO much easier and less expensive than doing it the way these folks have done it, and it's a lot more fun for a lot more people. Adding time and expense and taking away fun options isn't something that normally is done on purpose, you only do that if you have an agenda. Hopefully the criticism and pressure they're receiving will ultimately cause them to relent on that agenda, I'd say there's a real good chance that it will, especially when you look at the Legacy system. Yes its virtually meaningless, but if the same folks who made the decision to keep the SGRs out a couple years or so ago, back when the decision was first made, were still in charge and still as determined to keep all SGR content out of the game, it wouldn't have been all that hard to add in something to prevent us from marrying characters of the same gender. Certainly they've shown that willingness to spend extra time and effort to take away those types of fun options before, they would've simply done it again if they were so inclined. It suggests that somebody else may be in charge of these types of decisions now, or simply that the pressure is causing them to change their minds. But whatever their reasons, the Legacy system is proof that things seem to be changing in the right direction as it relates to romance options in the game, its something to help keep us thinking positively as we look toward the future.

Kioma
12.30.2012 , 07:26 PM | #4665
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthRamette View Post
I love it every post I made last night as to why I could not elaborate as to my opposition to SGR has been deleted, typical of this thread. ITS A VIDEO GAME not real life, you act like this somehow is taking away your rights in real life when it isn't. I posted a thread regarding character transfers, I was then informed by a certain person that we can not have duplicate threads yet this topic can...yet you talk about being excluded.If some of you are so offended by not having SGR's why are you still here playing if it's so painful to see the OGR flirts. I was pleasant last night and so was Kioma in disagreement with me yet my stuff is gone and half of the posts did pertain to SGR, silence them if they don't agree with you. I am going to take a page out of someone else's book I have some letters to write.
You were, in fact, quite civil.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Nozybidaj
12.30.2012 , 07:31 PM | #4666
Quote: Originally Posted by SirGladiator View Post
You're also right that it was done due to an agenda, a preference by the head fellow or fellows, to not have SGRs in the game. They went to a lot of trouble to make sure that we didn't get any romances at all, or even any flirt options. The idea that they wouldn't even let us have flirt options, thats a lot of trouble to go to, keeping all that out for us.
It is pretty obvious the "due to time and money" BS was just a smokescreen to begin with. The decision to exclude SGRA content from the game was clearly done due to the ideology of BW-Austin's leadership during development. The extra voice recording and programming time required to create a mechanism of gender checks for dialogue (both things done no where else in the game) to exclude the GLBT community from the game by itself would have been stricken from the development schedule if this was truly about time and money. This has pretty clearly been about someone(s) prejudice since day 1.

stuffystuffs
12.30.2012 , 07:43 PM | #4667
Quote: Originally Posted by Baptes View Post
If you think about it, it cost them more to exclude SGRAs with the extra programming and voice work than it would have to include it..
Yeah, it probably would have been cheaper to add it concurrently from the beginning.

And...the new year approaches. Still hoping Makeb goes to PTS soon and we see something there. I think I have a lvl 10 SW on there (I made it to test the new WZ last patch and then I could never get a queue to pop lol). I think they stated they would have character copy for the Makeb PTS release though.
Node guarder

natashina
12.30.2012 , 08:12 PM | #4668
Quote: Originally Posted by ncdoc View Post
Ok Nats if you'll hold the banner I'll keep on charging right behind you. After all your brave posts here has kept my hope alive this long.

Now, time to channel my Braveheart 'Freedom' speech (yeah, before the actor's rants thank you)...
D'aww, thanks. It means a lot to read that.

I played AC/DC a few days ago for my song to get fired up. Braveheart works too.

One poster managed to do the speech from the movie Independence Day ala SGRs. It made me giggle pretty hard.

I know that we can make a difference. And I know we're helping ToR in the long run.

Correct me if I'm wrong but...

I heard about the very unsatisfactory ending to ME3. I even know a little bit why it was so insulting to fans. So the fans started writing BW/EA, writing the press, posting and doing whatever they could to make their displeasure and frustration known.

Now, as I recall, this actually paid off. BW ended up releasing a free DLC pack that did a lot to help fix the ending and remove some of the bad taste in the mouths of the players. I saw that impact and it said a lot. That was another inspiration for me as well.

Email campaigns, if applied constructively, can help make games better. Developers should not cater to every player whim. There are examples of MMOs that have truly failed because of this. Yet, developers and producers need to be reminded about how their actions can be seen by the players themselves. The players do have a right as paying customers to be treated with respect and dignity. They do have the right to find out about missing content after almost a year since the last update.

We pay them money, whether it be through sub or Cartel Market. The customer isn't always right, but the customer has a right to find about more about a promised feature with a purchase.

It can and will make a difference. It's hard, I know. Oh, I do understand that well. There is no harm in trying though, contrary to what a few have said. So why not?

I'm going to stand by my convictions and see this thing through. One way or the other, I want a freaking update and I will not stop until one is given. That's all I can do for now.

Kioma
12.30.2012 , 08:20 PM | #4669
I actually didn't mind the ending to ME3 - the one I saw, at least, as I only went through one. There were points that didn't make a hell of a lot fo sense but my imagination filled the gaps and it seemed pretty neat.

Having said that I'm glad there was an uproar because the extended ending for that final option was SO MUCH BETTER. It turns out my imagination had supplied the same thing that the DLC ending did but hey, it was still better than the original ending.

So yes, fans do have an impact and can make a difference - IF the company is actually listening. I'm not convinced that BW:A are because they're given no indication of it (on this matter, at least).
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Arglaar
12.30.2012 , 08:35 PM | #4670
You know, considering that the deadline for RotHC Early Access via Pre-Order is Jan 7, I wonder if they're waiting until then to announce something.

Can't understand why, considering I think it would add more pre-orders than it would drive away, but who knows.

We can assume that it's not due to come out that fast so I wonder why they have such a weird cut-off date...