Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

natashina
12.27.2012 , 05:14 AM | #4491
That's all well and good, but this thread isn't to justify why SGRs should or should not exist. Funny how that is forgotten. It's about them communicating and giving their players clarity. No answer is not acceptable. We can speculate all day long about why they haven't talked or put it in. That no longer concerns me. They need to say something.

I'm not going to apologize for my anger towards BioWare. I don't want to hear other posters/players make excuses for them. They need to say something.

If they make players pay just to get a companion for SGRs, that is PayForGay. That expression came up back in January as a concern that BioWare would charge just for SGRs. This was before I even started posting in late February. The term came back up as the pre-order for Makeb hit.

For what SGRs can bring to a struggling MMO, I can mention one huge thing going for them.

It's something no other MMO can touch much less have. It's a change of view the gamer community as a whole needs; open acceptance for all kinds of players. And yes, steps like including SGRs in a MMO can go a really long way to doing some much needed eye opening later down the road.

Full-voiced and animated AI with romances for OGR and SGR? That's something no one else could claim, especially with a lot of the mentality in the gamer culture....The open-mindedness would actually draw in a lot of people I think.

I'm sorry if you can't see why it's a make or break point. It isn't for me either, but it is for some. There is a lot of make or break points for other people that made no sense to me. Some people leave due to all kinds of multiple reasons also. I try not to judge one way or another.

It isn't the lack of implementation. From where I sit, it's two things that are driving some posters away.

The fact the BioWare won't even mention that they talked about it. At all. They don't need to say even "yes," or "no." They need to say if it's being worked on, or on hold indefinately. Like they have done with just about everything else they talked about since the Guild Summit.

Also, many posters including myself got very angry at the EA article. They've had since March to publicly either treat it like the Guild Ships (sorry, not in the foreseeable future,) or like Cathars (it's coming, we just don't know when.) I still think it's really messed up to remain dead silent on the issue of SGRs after every single employee that publicly talked about it left. It's worse when EA starts spouting off how much they love providing LGBT content and then ignore a part of that playerbase.

This seems to escape many people: We had to go and correct an article that said that SGRs were already in ToR. Did EA say that? Probably not directly, but they did allow it to get published. They also have such comments talking about their decision to add gay content in ToR. I'll link you the article if you like; the correction notice is down at the bottom.

So yeah, people are pissed and rightfully so. Between being ignored and being used for good PR, the pro-SGR community is writing the press.

Granted, BioWare made the mistake of starting it, but that means they have a responsibility to address it. No sympathy or even pity from me anymore.

For my Jedi, I did roll a male toon reluctantly to try my first OGR. It didn't bother me to do so, but I was unhappy that I had to just to try the romance without bleeping Doc.

Also, I really hope you weren't asking the members of the gay and lesbian community to just try OGRs...

Many of the posters here aren't leveling at all because they don't want story spoilers.

I can safely say the entire thread doesn't want to be forced to roll the opposite gender. I only did because Doc frankly sucked. He hit on my character and he was enough to get me to reroll. I went after Kira because I preferred her personality and I was unhappy that I had to reroll. I would have liked to stay female and actually romance the minion I wanted to, rather than be forced to either reroll or deal with a slime bag that I loathed from his first lines of dialogue.

So for them, it's either get in SGRs or the game has nothing at all for them. Why level a class when you can't play the game the way you were promised you could? Some people don't play PvP or do Ops or space missions. Some are just in it for the class story, including the romances. Take that away and there is zero reason for some of the posters to play.

Not only will the romances be a little different (if any of the information we do have is still true,) but they shouldn't have to. I don't understand what is so wrong with this. Also, there some posters that are fearful of men, so to ask them to roll up a guy just to experience romance content is pretty selfish.

Players can make up excuses for BioWare all day, but I'm going to demand an answer. Nothing I have read or heard thus far has justified why BW won't give any sort of answer at all. That is wrong

I really don't care why they haven't answered at this point. I don't even care if the answer is positive or negative. I don't care why players think they may or may not include it.

I only care about BioWare addressing the playerbase directly.

Unless anyone works for BioWare, then we still don't have any sort of answer.

natashina
12.27.2012 , 05:24 AM | #4492
Good evening to you! How was your holiday?

Happy (belated) Boxing Day!

I can't tell if you're trolling, but nice to see ya nevertheless. I've seen ya around the forums; I really enjoy some of your guides. I'm still torn about whether to level my assassin or my shadow.

If you are going to post, please don't just boo little ol me. That doesn't add anything to the conversation and I'm honestly not sure why you are. If it's something I've said, please feel free to pick apart my words. Coming in for just two words to rip on someone is a great way to have your posts visited by David Copperfield.

In any case, thanks for coming back to the thread just to say hello. I hope you had a great holiday.

Cocofie
12.27.2012 , 06:09 AM | #4493
Oh no, NO MORE ROMANCE.

Developers please put your efforts in other gameplay and content BEFORE any romance. I don't care about romance options at all, please don't waste time into extending romance, be it straight or homosexual.

Romance is fine as it is. Personal I never used it accept for maybe a (short ) fun factor in picking 'flirt' options and see what happens. One time or so...

Better extend Dark/Light more maybe or switching sides. I don't know... Whatever. But no virtual romance :S

Quething
12.27.2012 , 07:04 AM | #4494
Amazing, isn't it? How you can put it in the opening post, and repeat it five or six times every four pages, and repeat over and over and over again that BioWare has said that s/s romance is coming and this thread is not the place to try to argue that it shouldn't, and people will still hop into the thread like some teenager slamming the door open to make his dramatic entrance into a room and announce KEEP THE ICKY GAY AWAY OH NOES like he's offering some kind of incredible, vital new insight and not the exact same tired tedious tripe that his equally bilge-filled ilk have been shoveling since day one of the first incarnation of this thread.

I will admit to a certain fondness to the disingenuous "no really it's that I don't like any romance even though you know I tried and enjoyed a bit of the straight ones but only I should be allowed to do that not you gay gaymos" argument, though. It has a certain subtlety to it that can pull the unwary in, like a reverse form of concern trolling.

natashina
12.27.2012 , 07:20 AM | #4495
I've got a greatest hits list of anti-SGR excuses, some valid, most not. Many of them amuse me to one extent or another.

All I can say is that some must come in here because no one can keep an anti-SGR thread open. I've seen a few out there try. But eh, enough feeding.

I'm trying to come up with a subject line for my letter to tie everything together. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Quething
12.27.2012 , 08:36 AM | #4496
Well, another thread has temporarily popped up in General. Anyone else want to go try and keep it alive and less bile-strewn before the inevitable merge/deletion?

natashina
12.27.2012 , 08:42 AM | #4497
My patience is too low to participate, but I now see where the new supporters, the new detractors and the new trolls are coming from. How long will it last? Place your bets!

There is no civility in that thread already; I'm just watching it and wondering how bad it's gonna get this time.

Apparently the new slogan is, "Remove all romances." Somehow, I don't think that is going to happen no matter what. The people that, "are sick of it," for the most part started hearing about this a month ago. It's not like BW-Austin has talked about this before, right?

natashina
12.27.2012 , 09:59 AM | #4498
Ugh. Got a copy and pasted answer from this thread over there.

I know why I bother, but it isn't easy sometimes. One part of all of this that makes me smile is that the more people post in support or protest, the more the press talks about it at all, the more likely we are to get an answer within the next couple of weeks.

The trolls are sick of hearing about it? I'm betting BioWare is much more so and they have the power to resolve much of this. Hopefully they'll get the picture soon.

This could have been avoided with either earlier inclusion or, barring that, a public word from a current high ranking developer/manager.

Revanchis
12.27.2012 , 10:57 AM | #4499
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
Nope, neither is locked in. The overall story requires them but you can do the running around and face-smashing parts without either of them. I usually leave Morrigan out completely and just woo her with gifts in the party camp because she irritates me. Then I don't need to deal with her until the endgame.
By locked in I meant you're required to keep them in your party camp at least. The other companions you can either choose to recruit at all, send on their way, or kill off, except for those two.

Quething
12.27.2012 , 11:12 AM | #4500
Quote: Originally Posted by Revanchis View Post
By locked in I meant you're required to keep them in your party camp at least. The other companions you can either choose to recruit at all, send on their way, or kill off, except for those two.
Alistair is the only locked companion, and even him you can get rid of before the end of the game (although admittedly so near it as to make little difference if you really loathe him; fifty hours into a sixty hour game probably doesn't count). You can tell Morrigan to beat it the very first time you make camp. You don't even have to piss her off. Just tell her to go and she does. I don't know why you would, she's fantastic and without her Alistair is incredibly obnoxious (just as she's fairly obnoxious without Alistair; they sort of need each other to bounce off of in order to make their worst traits sympathetic), but the option is there.

On-topic... I agree that threads in General tend to be exhausting and fetid, but I feel like it's still important to bump them. BioWare needs to know that it's not just our little ghetto here that wants answers and has interest in this feature.