Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Spatology's Avatar


Spatology
07.22.2012 , 05:50 PM | #441
I dont think that the "homosexual" line of conversation would be applicable to a feminine male transgender person.***

Sorry, i also wanted to say that i appreciate people going out and scouring the web for any info availible on this topic. You guys work hard so i dont have to =).

Kioma's Avatar


Kioma
07.22.2012 , 06:05 PM | #442
Quote: Originally Posted by Spatology View Post
Forgive my use of the word childish if it offrends. Childish is a good discriptive adjective for a person who doesnt or cant consider all facts or relevant opinions and respond or not respond accordingly. Its not ment offensively. I would guess im childish in not being able to see how this would effect your enjoyment of the game to the point where you would not play anylonger because of the above stated reasoning.

You are argueing semantics of words. There's no reason to give merit to these coments.
But I argue them with a point, which I think you're missing. They're loaded terms which I suspect have more general meaning than you intend to apply. In most circumstances, as an example, people would indeed take 'childish' as a derogatory term, as it is almost universally meant in a derogatory fashion when applied to an adult.

I'm not arguing for the sheer heck of it. I'm trying to deflect hostility and keep the conversation civil.

Quote: Originally Posted by Spatology View Post
I appear to be looking at the game from the average MMORPG player's expectations of a game. Since this is an MMORPG, and not a PC - NPC RPG, i would think my logic follows the line of the majority of players. I could be wrong, but probably not.
I couldn't say but I suspect you're right, that most people probably do see the PC-NPC conversations and romance arcs as being a diversion from the 'main game' at best. I have no issue with you taking this view, either, because it's your view and you've a right to have it. Again, though, that's not actually the point here. What the majority feels isn't in question. You asked a specific individual about their views and made a comment on their logic in doing so. When speaking of the logic of one person the majority isn't a matter of discussion.

Quote: Originally Posted by Spatology View Post
I, personally, wish they had left "romance" out of the game all together, this is a very personal opinion. Its prolly not shared by alot of people.
I don't think anyone has hard-and-fast numbers on it but I suspect the majority of players probably aren't too fussed either way.

Quote: Originally Posted by Spatology View Post
Ty for atleast trying to explain why you would offer an ultimatium to bioware for content that really has little visual, audio, or social interaction value.
...to you. To others it may or may not have a great deal more visual, audio or social interaction value. Plus I don't think MusedMoose's comments are meant as an ultimatum (though I could be wrong). I read them as statement of intention. If MusedMoose were emailing every BW:A department possible saying 'If you don't put SGRAs in by the end of the year you lose a subscription!' that would be more of an ultimatum.

Some people quit MMOs because the PvP isn't good enough or there's no end-game content. Quitting because there are facilities in place for one section of society and not for another is just as valid - to that person.

Quote: Originally Posted by Spatology View Post
All the off topic stuff out of the way....

I want to ask, if Heterosexual/homosexual content is availible. I would like to ask for a way to "transgender" my characters. It isnt fair that i cant dress my male character up in the female characters clothes and flirt with my male companions. I tried to use the slave girl social gear on my male character, however, my torso just went invisible. Hopefully this, and other issues will be fixed in the near future. Not being able to wear the slavegirl outfit on my body type 4 male character wont keep me from enjoying all the great fun this game has to offer!
This is possibly meant to be a derisive question but I'll give the benefit of the doubt and take it seriously.

Personally I was sort of annoyed that there are such things as 'male' and 'female' costumes. I see no issue at all to allowing players to run around as a male Jedi Knight wearing a lady's dress. Why not? They'll only really do it for a short period of time, in all likelihood, and then swap back to their normal gear. And yes, I can see benefits in terms of RP to allowing this - not only for transgendered and gender-bending people but also for circumstances involving, say, dress-up parties. Seeing a huge hulking Twi'lek come to a social event dressed as Grand Master Satele Shan would be a hoot.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
07.22.2012 , 06:08 PM | #443
Quote: Originally Posted by Spatology View Post
Not being able to wear the slavegirl outfit on my body type 4 male character wont keep me from enjoying all the great fun this game has to offer!
Slave boy was announced at the Guild Summit, so it should be in the game Soon(tm). And yes, my gorgeous Roro will be wearing it :3

To me the lack of communication with regards to SGRA's points to a much larger problem that Bioware has in general, and the lack of them at launch is indicative of the very sorry state of affairs the gaming community finds itself in. I did briefly consider not leveling my Agent until SGRA's were introduced but then I fell in love with the storyline and his little giggle. Oh god I miss his TA giggle.

MusedMoose's Avatar


MusedMoose
07.22.2012 , 07:27 PM | #444
Quote: Originally Posted by Spatology View Post
Forgive my use of the word childish if it offrends. Childish is a good discriptive adjective for a person who doesnt or cant consider all facts or relevant opinions and respond or not respond accordingly. Its not ment offensively. I would guess im childish in not being able to see how this would effect your enjoyment of the game to the point where you would not play anylonger because of the above stated reasoning.
Forgiven, no worries. Here's the thing for me: I've long been a role-player at heart. I've been playing tabletop RPGs for years, and in most video game RPGs I play, I tend to narrate things in my head as I go, thinking about what the characters might be saying and conversations they might have, how they would react to the situations they're in, and so on.

Part of why I enjoy SW:TOR so much is that I can define my character the way I want to through the dialogue choices and actually have that be reflected in-game. It's the first MMO I've played where your character actually gets to make choices beyond "take or refuse this quest". Having the companions along only adds to this - they add a lot to the story, and I usually imagine the conversations they have with my PCs throughout the game. That's why I'm always glad to hear a companion actually speak up in a conversation.

However, because the came currently only supports heterosexual relationships (and flirting, but that's a different thread), it's keeping me from playing my characters exactly as I want them. I don't want my characters to miss out on having a companion who's more than just a loyal friend, but at the same time, I play both male and female characters and I have no interest in playing out romances with male companions. Waiting for SGRs means that I have to hold off on playing my female characters because I can't play them the way I want to. This takes away from the overall game experience for me.

I think that losing out on part of the game that someone wants to play is a valid reason to decide to quit. This sort of thing comes up all the time in MMO discussion. And one person's good reason to quit is another person's good reason to shrug.

Quote: Originally Posted by Spatology View Post
I appear to be looking at the game from the average MMORPG player's expectations of a game. Since this is an MMORPG, and not a PC - NPC RPG, i would think my logic follows the line of the majority of players. I could be wrong, but probably not.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by a "PC - NPC RPG", but if you mean a single-player RPG with a party, I'd say you're partly wrong. While it's definitely an MMO, the addition of companions makes the game a little bit more like a single-player RPG. So TOR is kind of in the middle.

Also, bit of friendly advice: don't make an argument based on thinking the majority thinks like you do. You're rarely right, and people love tearing down someone saying "everyone thinks this way".

Quote: Originally Posted by Spatology View Post
Ty for atleast trying to explain why you would offer an ultimatium to bioware for content that really has little visual, audio, or social interaction value.
As Kioma said, it's not an ultimatum, more a statement of intent. If you want to get technical (I'm a writer, so using the right word is important to me), an ultimatum usually involves a demand, and I didn't demand anything of BioWare. Just said I'd quit if SGRs weren't in this year.

As for the value of SGRs, that is entirely your opinion. You're welcome to it, but I recommend you don't expect everyone to agree with it. For me, the romance arcs are an extension of stories that I already really enjoy; I love seeing my PCs get closer to their companions, and I look forward to anything that adds to the companion stories. That's where the value is for me.

Asari-tears's Avatar


Asari-tears
07.22.2012 , 08:12 PM | #445
Officially my first post on these forums. And it had to be about romances.. true BioWare fashion!

Hello ppl, long time BioWare fan but had some trouble this year with one of their other games.. I wont even mention it. Anyway, it brought me to BSN and forum lurking in general.

The only way I got out of this depression that the other game caused was when I made my swtor jedi sentinel and started fighting the Sith! =P

I love this game so much! The only thing I have now been upset about is no SSR's.. I'm lvl 26 and I only just had my first dislike about this game, pretty special!

But yes, being bi I would love to be able to romance Kira. She's funny, quirky and has a good heart, my kinda girl. She reminds me of a cross between Isabela from DA2 and Liara from ME. Both of them were romancable so for Kira to not be kinda sucks lol.

Plus, if it's not Kira, then it's Doc... I haven't even met him yet but he has a moustache... lol he reminds me of Doc Holliday.....

Kioma's Avatar


Kioma
07.22.2012 , 08:15 PM | #446
Quote: Originally Posted by Asari-tears View Post
Officially my first post on these forums. And it had to be about romances.. true BioWare fashion!
Welcome! Hopefully you'll meet some awesome people here.

Quote: Originally Posted by Asari-tears View Post
Plus, if it's not Kira, then it's Doc... I haven't even met him yet but he has a moustache... lol he reminds me of Doc Holliday.....
I've heard of him being described, basically, as Bruce Campbell with a kolto obsession.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

MusedMoose's Avatar


MusedMoose
07.22.2012 , 09:33 PM | #447
Quote: Originally Posted by Asari-tears View Post
Officially my first post on these forums. And it had to be about romances.. true BioWare fashion!
Welcome! You've picked a good place to start. Not that I'm biased or anything. Not at all.

Quote: Originally Posted by Asari-tears View Post
I love this game so much! The only thing I have now been upset about is no SSR's.. I'm lvl 26 and I only just had my first dislike about this game, pretty special!

But yes, being bi I would love to be able to romance Kira. She's funny, quirky and has a good heart, my kinda girl. She reminds me of a cross between Isabela from DA2 and Liara from ME. Both of them were romancable so for Kira to not be kinda sucks lol.
Yah, Kira's one of my big hopes for SGRs as well. It was really difficult for me to stop playing my JK, but I felt like I was missing out on so much by not being able to romance her with my female character.

If you've looked through the thread a bit, you might know that news on SGRs is pretty scarce, but the latest is that they're coming this year. Many of us are really hoping SGRs will be added to current companions, but we won't know until BioWare says so. Any other characters in particular you're hoping for? My other big hope is Mako; play a Bounty Hunter for, like, 10-20 minutes and you might agree.

Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
07.22.2012 , 11:37 PM | #448
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Slave boy was announced at the Guild Summit, so it should be in the game Soon(tm). And yes, my gorgeous Roro will be wearing it :3

To me the lack of communication with regards to SGRA's points to a much larger problem that Bioware has in general, and the lack of them at launch is indicative of the very sorry state of affairs the gaming community finds itself in. I did briefly consider not leveling my Agent until SGRA's were introduced but then I fell in love with the storyline and his little giggle. Oh god I miss his TA giggle.
As to the lack of SGRAs when the game launched, I believe they were working on them when other more pressing matters came up having to do with gameplay and graphics glitches. Remember, this "Hero" game engine is still new and relatively untested, so there are bound to be glaring problems with it until they get all the wrinkles ironed out.

Also, I believe EA, being EA, gave BioWare The Deadline for launch and didn't care that the game really wasn't ready for launch yet. However, the basic framework for SGRAs is there. Most notably when the female SW goes with Vette to free her sister on Nar Shaddaa....
Spoiler

That left my jaw on the floor. and grinning ear to ear.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Zandilar's Avatar


Zandilar
07.23.2012 , 01:23 AM | #449
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
However, the basic framework for SGRAs is there. Most notably when the female SW goes with Vette to free her sister on Nar Shaddaa....
Spoiler

That left my jaw on the floor. and grinning ear to ear.
You say the basic frame work is in, and then point to something that has unfortunate implications.

Spoiler


Umm.. *scratches her head* I'm sorry, but are we so desperate for SGRA in the game that we'll grab whatever we can get?
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

Uluain's Avatar


Uluain
07.23.2012 , 01:49 AM | #450
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
Umm.. *scratches her head* I'm sorry, but are we so desperate for SGRA in the game that we'll grab whatever we can get?
Pretty much. We know the content should be there, so we scratch around for any hint of it. But as it stands, SWTOR is a pretty heavily heterosexist game. It is. It shouldn't be, but it is, and that is in a word disappointing.