Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

stuffystuffs's Avatar


stuffystuffs
12.24.2012 , 08:09 PM | #4411
I guess it's no coincidence that most SWTOR companions are male...except when there needs to be "the romanceable female".

Likomg's Avatar


Likomg
12.24.2012 , 08:11 PM | #4412
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Don't forget that all Star Wars humans are white and cis - and to add to your point, I have no idea who the two women you just mentioned are. I know of Darth Talon (red twi'lek woman), but largely I know of her clothing (gee), fanatical devotion and the highly sexualised media surrounding her.

Gosh, I wonder why

Sometimes it feels like the only reasons the rabid id- fans don't rail against the inclusion of people of colour and women into this game is because a) racism is no longer as socially acceptable and b) breasts.
I see the thread has gotten WAY off topic.

You are wrong, however: Lando Calrissian (sp?) is not white. Making up "facts" to support your argument fail to do so.

As far as some offense taken to my earlier posts, "waste" was a poor choice of words when describing my view of prioritising. I had simply meant that if resources are as short as they feel like they are now, since the layoffs earlier this year, I feel that more can be done for the overall story side of the game rather than just the romance portion, SGR or OGR. Only my opinion, of course, and not denegrating the opinions of those who feel otherwise. In truth, if it were a specific portion of content that I desperately wanted to see, I would fight for it just as strongly.

Again, gl in getting a definitive update, if nothing else.

Likomg's Avatar


Likomg
12.24.2012 , 08:13 PM | #4413
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
I guess it's no coincidence that most SWTOR companions are male...except when there needs to be "the romanceable female".
Really? Be honest, an exact 50/50 split would not be realistic, either. You are looking to hard to find discrimination, even where it is not.

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
12.24.2012 , 08:14 PM | #4414
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
I guess it's no coincidence that most SWTOR companions are male...except when there needs to be "the romanceable female".
I believe one of the comments on Joshigun's article about gender representation covered just that. Having read a recent opinion column about a woman enjoying Bioware's inclusive stance and representation of women in their games (specifically the Mass Effect series and Commander Shepard), it truly does make me wonder how the studio which wrote, created and maintains this game can dare to use the 'Bioware' name, when they clearly do not adhere to even its basic principles.

Women is for sex. Man is for fight. Hodor is for carry.


Quote: Originally Posted by Likomg View Post
I see the thread has gotten WAY off topic.

You are wrong, however: Lando Calrissian (sp?) is not white. Making up "facts" to support your argument fail to do so.
Like Padme and Leia, Lando is an exception.


Quote: Originally Posted by Likomg View Post
Really? Be honest, an exact 50/50 split would not be realistic, either. You are looking to hard to find discrimination, even where it is not.
Why would it not be realistic?

stuffystuffs's Avatar


stuffystuffs
12.24.2012 , 08:24 PM | #4415
Quote: Originally Posted by Likomg View Post
Really? Be honest, an exact 50/50 split would not be realistic, either. You are looking to hard to find discrimination, even where it is not.
Yeah....but it's realistic that pretty much every woman that travels with a PC is sexually available (for males). Totally.

Joushigun's Avatar


Joushigun
12.24.2012 , 08:32 PM | #4416
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Don't forget that all Star Wars humans are white and cis - and to add to your point, I have no idea who the two women you just mentioned are. I know of Darth Talon (red twi'lek woman), but largely I know of her clothing (gee), fanatical devotion and the highly sexualised media surrounding her.

Gosh, I wonder why

Sometimes it feels like the only reasons the rabid id- fans don't rail against the inclusion of people of colour and women into this game is because a) racism is no longer as socially acceptable and b) breasts.
Amadala was the Queen and then Senator of Naboo. She was the wife of Anakin Skywalker. She is also the mother of Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa.

Leia was the adopted daughter of Senator Bail Organa of Alderaan, and the biological daughter of Padme Amadala and Anakin Skywalker, aka Darth Vader.

Mon Mathma was a Senator to the Galactic Republic and one of the founders of the Rebellion. She is seen in Return of the Jedi explaining how the Bothan spies died to get the plans to the second Death Star.

Aunt Beru was the foster mother and step-aunt of Luke Skywalker, She married the step-brother of Anakin Skywalker.

Shimi Skywalker is the only biological parent of Anakin Skywalker, and grandmother of Luke and Leia.

Those, literally, are the only women to have any kind of major speaking part in the six movies.

What's bad is that I think Lando Calarissian and Mace Windu are the only Blacks in the six movies and Bail Organa is the only Latino.
"I am a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife."- Lady Vastra, Doctor Who and the Snowmen

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
12.24.2012 , 08:39 PM | #4417
Samuel L. Jackson is amazing, and you'd hope he was hired because he's awesome, and not because the Council was 'too white'. Because of the era, I can't help but feel that Lando was a bit more of a token rather than a genuine attempt at representation.

Joushigun's Avatar


Joushigun
12.24.2012 , 09:14 PM | #4418
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Samuel L. Jackson is amazing, and you'd hope he was hired because he's awesome, and not because the Council was 'too white'. Because of the era, I can't help but feel that Lando was a bit more of a token rather than a genuine attempt at representation.
Jackson was hired mostly because he harassed Lucas, and even offered to just be a stormtrooper.

But, yeah, the Star Wars movies are not overly diverse.
"I am a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife."- Lady Vastra, Doctor Who and the Snowmen

Kodyack's Avatar


Kodyack
12.25.2012 , 02:08 AM | #4419
One thing that worries me about new characters is that they might be placed at the end of the story altogether. Which would make any romance from said companion to be rushed and inauthentic. + It means that SGR's would always be at the back of the game while regular romance is available earlier on.
It is such a quiet thing; to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it. | Never Forget The Bothan Spies.

Ryyx's Avatar


Ryyx
12.25.2012 , 02:35 AM | #4420
Hey all! First post in the forums, but I just wanted to lend my support for SGRs in SWTOR. As a bisexual man, I fully support greater diversity within such a rich story that the SW universe provides and moving beyond just the confines of straight, cisgender, white, masculine, etc.

Also, great work from you all trying to keep Bioware/EA accountable and I hope to get more involved in the conversation!