Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lent_San
12.23.2012 , 05:27 AM | #4391
Quote: Originally Posted by Noremacv View Post
It adds a new level of replayability to the game. That might be all it takes to get people to really enjoy playing a new toon.
The last patch added a new WZ, more space missions, and a new tier of ship armour. For the people who don't do space missions or PvP, the last patch was a waste of time in updating the game to receive no benefit. I don't see why the same can't be done to finally appease the players that have waited for this feature to be added. Sure, a lot of people couldn't give two ***** about SGRAs being added. I'm sure there are just as many people that feel the same about WZs and space missions.
A thousand times this. I mean, nothing you mentioned, WZ, space missions, ship armour has brought me back into the game. It's just not where my interest lies. Forgive me for saying that, not wanting to insult anyone who thinks otherwise, but these things have been designed for the straight, male gamer. Which I'm not. Far from it.

Bioware just better get their act "straight"..... just the other way round, you know.

Quote: Originally Posted by Palar View Post
Don't worry, they're just as lazy as you in not actually reading the thread.
Zing.......

Joushigun
12.23.2012 , 06:39 PM | #4392
I decided to rebut all those guys who keep saying how 'gays don't exist in Star Wars'....

Well, neither do women. Or at least, there's not a lot of women:

http://lezgetreal.com/2012/12/rebutt...star-wars-tor/

I'm going to keep writing about my experiences with this. Some are going to be like that, but others are probably not going to be quite so nice.
"I am a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife."- Lady Vastra, Doctor Who and the Snowmen

natashina
12.23.2012 , 08:50 PM | #4393
Woot! You're an amazing writer.

Keep them coming everyone. I'm still bookmarking

Gonna be scarce for a few days. Christmas, family, yada yada. Just finished a huge baking spree.

Double layered fudge, sugar cookies and banana bread. All gluten free and yummy. My husband rocks.

Off to bed early. Night guys.

Palar
12.23.2012 , 08:50 PM | #4394
Quote: Originally Posted by Joushigun View Post
I decided to rebut all those guys who keep saying how 'gays don't exist in Star Wars'....

I'm going to keep writing about my experiences with this. Some are going to be like that, but others are probably not going to be quite so nice.
True fact - southpaws don't exist in Star Wars... therefore, they should remove off-hand weapons.

shava
12.23.2012 , 09:12 PM | #4395
No way I'm going to catch up with this thread...but I suspect that at this point you can kiss the class story SSRs goodbye.

Voicing the SSRs would be hugely expensive and SWTOR isn't making the money to do it. As a former marketing VP in the entertainment industry (licensing but I can do this crude a version of the math) they couldn't justify calling back the talent and doing the production.

It would be like making a sequel movie. Can't move the money with the beating the game has taken in the game press and on the money it's made. If F2P turned the game around as well or better as happened with LOTRO just *maybe* -- but honestly IMO (and I'm very friendly to the idea of SSRs) I think they'd put the money into fixing issues with the engines and doing expansions to the general class quests on a level cap basis before they caught up with the SSR fanbase.

I'm just calling it as I see the odds. I could see Bioware -- the old Canadian company -- doing it if they had funds in the bank. No way in hell can I see Disney/EA/Bioware doing it.

le sigh
===
/* formerly Ashtara, the only female trandoshan (TKM/scout/sword) on Chilastra */

Samy_Merchi
12.23.2012 , 09:14 PM | #4396
You're probably right, but if that's the case, I want to hear it so I can move on with my characters.

Joushigun
12.23.2012 , 09:17 PM | #4397
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
Woot! You're an amazing writer.

Thank you. I'm actually making the transition into being a novelist. I've even considered starting 'fan fic' stories to just post so that I can keep practicing. I find it interesting to look at a world and see where the original writer may have not been so thorough in their creation.
"I am a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife."- Lady Vastra, Doctor Who and the Snowmen

SirGladiator
12.23.2012 , 10:16 PM | #4398
Quote: Originally Posted by shava View Post
No way I'm going to catch up with this thread...but I suspect that at this point you can kiss the class story SSRs goodbye.

Voicing the SSRs would be hugely expensive and SWTOR isn't making the money to do it. As a former marketing VP in the entertainment industry (licensing but I can do this crude a version of the math) they couldn't justify calling back the talent and doing the production.

It would be like making a sequel movie. Can't move the money with the beating the game has taken in the game press and on the money it's made. If F2P turned the game around as well or better as happened with LOTRO just *maybe* -- but honestly IMO (and I'm very friendly to the idea of SSRs) I think they'd put the money into fixing issues with the engines and doing expansions to the general class quests on a level cap basis before they caught up with the SSR fanbase.

I'm just calling it as I see the odds. I could see Bioware -- the old Canadian company -- doing it if they had funds in the bank. No way in hell can I see Disney/EA/Bioware doing it.

le sigh
I'm pretty sure they're already calling back the original voice talent, to do this expansion (if they arent it sure isnt much of an expansion, haha), so while they're there having them record the romance lines wouldn't take much time at all. Also, you're assuming the lines arent already recorded and simply were never used, they may be already recorded and ready to put in the game once the green light is given.

But aside from all that, obviously if they add whole new characters to romance they 'still' have to bring back the original voice talent, AND they'd have to bring in new voice talent to do the other half of each given romance. Its much simpler to simply make the existing characters available to all, because then you obviously wouldn't need new voicework from the character you're romancing, their romance lines are already in the game. You'd just need the voice of your character saying the lines they should've been able to say all along. Its a common myth, but a myth nonetheless, that somehow its easier to make whole new characters than simply disable the gender check for the existing ones. Its vastly, VASTLY easier to do the latter, as a quote mentioned not that far back in this thread from David Gaider stated. He was just stating the obvious, if folks actually thought about it they'd figure it out for themselves, David just made it easier for everybody to understand .

techwitch
12.23.2012 , 10:31 PM | #4399
Quote: Originally Posted by Joushigun View Post

Actually, that is not quite accurate. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mandalorian clearly states "Homosexuality and same-sex marriages were apparently accepted by the Mandalorians, as Goran Beviin and Medrit Vasur were an openly homosexual married couple living on Mandalore, who were fully integrated into Mandalorian society." This is covered in the book Sacrifice by Karen Traviss.
Choosing to limit one's vision is not the path to enlightenment. I prefer a world where there are limitless possibilities.

Joushigun
12.23.2012 , 10:33 PM | #4400
Quote: Originally Posted by SirGladiator View Post
I'm pretty sure they're already calling back the original voice talent, to do this expansion (if they arent it sure isnt much of an expansion, haha), so while they're there having them record the romance lines wouldn't take much time at all. Also, you're assuming the lines arent already recorded and simply were never used, they may be already recorded and ready to put in the game once the green light is given..
Or they just hire Billy West.

For those who don't know who he is, he is Philip J. Fry, Hubert Farnsworth, John Zoidberg and Zapp Brannigan (to name a few) on Futurama

But, yeah, they really could do this for the expansion. I hope they have, but I really don't want to buy it until I know.