Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

12.20.2012 , 10:36 PM | #4321
So, I'm thinking about writing an article about this. The written word is my chosen art form, and though I normally write fiction, I think I'm qualified to write an editorial.

My problem is that, if I do write such an article, I'd be putting a lot of effort into it. It would be written with the idea of accessibility to someone who has never heard of the game. Putting in so much effort would only be worth it if I can reach some people, get some readers. That's the snag.

I don't really have my own platform. In order to publish an article like I'm talking about, I'd have to start my own blog just to do it, and even then it would really only reach the people in this thread when I link it. So I'm hoping someone has an idea for me.

If you have a place that would publish such an article, or know of one, please PM me. I'm not seeking a commitment, I know my work would have to be reviewed before any promises of it being published are made. I'm also not seeking compensation, I'll write the article just because I want to write it.

I'll likely begin work on the article just because I like to write, and see to getting it out there when I'm done. For now, though, if you have a place that would be interested in running such an article, or know of one, I'm open to suggestions.

12.21.2012 , 03:08 AM | #4322
Gonna step in real quick and restate something I recall seeing quite a ways back--DarthRamette, I apologize if this isn't something you want reposted, please feel free to report this post for deletion if you'd like it taken down (it'll probably be faster then sending me a pm, I don't check here very often and I almost never check my messages).

Guys, Ramette has said before that they don't like OGR romances, either, and would have preferred this game have no romances at all. I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume that if this situation were reversed--that SGRs were available and people were rallying to get OGRs included--their opinion would be exactly the same. If that's true, then no, there is no discrimination there...just someone who didn't want romance in-game to begin with upset that Bioware would put in even more. And again, romances are far from their only beef with the game, which I think we can agree is perfectly understandable. Heck, even some of the people who want SGRs in have this as their own straw to break the camel's back, just in reverse--its lack of inclusion being why they'd leave.

So please, I know it looked at first to be discrimination, but it isn't. Not from Ramette, at least.
I love turning heads.
My favorite part is the kr-KRAK just before they throw themselves at my feet.

12.21.2012 , 04:26 AM | #4323
Let's get back on topic before this gets much uglier.

I wasn't able to get ahold directly Jeff and Deidre from TORWars today. I had to crash out for several hours. I will be sending them a letter in the next couple of days if I can't get ahold of them via Mumble.

I'll also be posting the link to the article as well, once it comes up.

What a read! Just be careful everyone; there is a lot of stuff here that could cause infractions.

Take care.

12.21.2012 , 04:30 AM | #4324
I am a straigh male and even though i do not plan any S/S romances when they come i fully support this. The exclution of any group is wrong, as long as they do no harm to anyone.

To those who do not want it, if you say that openly but want to keep your reasons to yourself, do your "cause" a favor, do not say anything at all. You only make yourself look like an ingnorant. Please note: I do not make any assumptions regarding your intelligence.

Quote: Originally Posted by MagusGothica View Post
However, you have to understand that your stance is NOT helping us, AT ALL. In fact, it is likely achieving the opposite effect. Your continued stubborn opposition of SGR's in the public view has more than likely damaged our cause more than you realize. Because you are providing a voice that is effectively telling EA that if SGR's happen, there is a population that will leave, and they will lose money. Companies don't like losing money. The fact that you've given a voice to a population of people that would staunchly deny equality, and would be so offended by equality, that they would stop paying for a product, has likely contributed to the delay of this content, and the assumed fear of this content that EA supposedly has. If they do fear it, it's because of people like you. I'm not saying that you're a bad person, I'm saying that your stance on this is hurting ALL OF US. Maybe if that's what you were shooting for, I guess... congratulations.
I would like to add my comment to this, I know a lot more people who will start playing again when this comes than people who will quit.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

12.21.2012 , 04:38 AM | #4325
I'm just going to repeat this from earlier:

If no one likes it, thinks we're wasting our time/EA's time, or just are flat out anti-SGR, go on ahead and write to news sites why you think it's a waste. Make sure you provide 9 months of community research to back up your point. Stuff that is easily checked by an fact checker, with trust worthy links.

Be pro-active like we did. Oh and yes, that FAQ has got several months of research behind it.

Also, make sure you take the time to write a well thought out letter too. And send it off to several websites. Also, make sure the other people that don't want this content do their part.

I'll bet you won't. I bet you wouldn't even think of such a thing. Most people would just sit in the forums, complain and not try to do something.

12.21.2012 , 04:47 AM | #4326
This was my point earlier. I think it bares repeating.

The other night was great for my muse.

It's because we don't have to justify why there is PvP. I don't ask why PvP should be in the game. They are for a minority of the player base but that player base considers it invaluable. As with end game PvE and the current romance options. We shouldn't have to have a justification for SGRs. There is no good reason why that they should be excluded. It should have been in from the start. It was expected of a BioWare game by that point, just as much as end-game PvE or PvP is for a MMO.

There is statistics that clearly state that a minority of any given MMO player base plays end-game content. Same with PvP; most often, PvP servers and content are some of the lowest pop.

We don't know how much of the player base would use SGRs, so that isn't fair to say a minority wants this or not. The minority is the only one that knows about this for the most part. We can safely all agree that the story is the main reason to play. So there is no way to tell who/how many players would use this content, unless BioWare quits messing around. Besides, content for the minority happens all the time, so this should be no different.

Edit: From the looks of it, polls are considered petition threads, so that's why polls aren't going to be happening on this subject/forum anytime soon.

There are even poorer reasons why they should remain silent with Makeb coming. I don't think it's too much to ask to know if this content is even still coming at all. We know about the overall arching storyline for Makeb, so there is no excuse for BW-Austin to remain silent at this point. If anything, the silence is making them look worse and worse.

Oh and I'm sure the number of people that want SGRs as well as the curious that would come back to the game far outweighs those that don't. No doubt in my mind.

12.21.2012 , 05:36 AM | #4327
Hey you guys...

February 14th is on a Thursday in 2013 and comes roughly five weeks after January 15th (Tuesday), which is roughly five weeks from December 11th, when we had 1.6 released.

Cuddles patch?

12.21.2012 , 06:14 AM | #4328
I cancelled my sub back in february and am back for a bit. Wanted to say thanks for continuing with this and fighting for it. I'm still hoping for the content but I'm not very.. well.. hopeful. It's very sad actually.

12.21.2012 , 06:24 AM | #4329
Optimism does seem to be dwindling as there are no new updates of information other than the usual "looking into it" and "soon." Hopefully they'll have a more definitive answer any time now since f2p has already launched and the advertising of RotHC doesn't need to last too long with it being released in a couple of weeks.
Fanboy for life!!!!!!

12.21.2012 , 07:26 AM | #4330
Hmm - I wonder if being totally on-topic would be considered spamming, since we're still repeating the same questions in hope of something resembling an answer. I'm not sure they'd answer if we asked what time it was.