Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Joushigun
12.20.2012 , 01:08 PM | #4301
Opps...the replies just showed up Same basic thing, though.
"I am a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife."- Lady Vastra, Doctor Who and the Snowmen

stuffystuffs
12.20.2012 , 02:17 PM | #4302
What new questions have come up on this topic?

I'm just wondering...I've gotten the impression that it's the same ones asked over and over again.

HellbirdIV
12.20.2012 , 02:19 PM | #4303
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post

I'm just wondering...I've gotten the impression that it's the same ones asked over and over again.
That's because it mostly is.

natashina
12.20.2012 , 02:35 PM | #4304
**pops in, utterly exhausted before going back to bed**

Watch the real life stuff guys, like religious and political topics. I don't want to see anyone get into trouble for that.

I've got to try to sleep before I keel over.

**poofs for a bit**

Palar
12.20.2012 , 02:59 PM | #4305
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post

It's a little hard to move on to additional points when they still refuse to answer the basics.

Lent_San
12.20.2012 , 03:52 PM | #4306
Quote: Originally Posted by Artanisia View Post
I just wrote a short blogpost about this issue ( http://www.in-character.de/one-year-in/ ). It isn't very good, not very long, and whoa, my English is rusty, but it is heartfelt. Unfortunately I do not have a lot of readers, soooooo.... we need a lot more blogposts!
EDIT: I just shot off a short message to MMOmeltingPOT ( http://www.mmomeltingpot.com/ ), and informed them about the SWTOR podcast, the LezGetReal blogpost, and my own post. If they do a little post with these links there might be a spike of incomming traffic.
Woot! Great job, Artanisia.

Quote: Originally Posted by markcymru View Post
Imagine my shock when I read this Medscape headline:
Obama's Fiscal-Cliff Plan Said to Repeal SGR

[ it refers to Medicare's "sustainable growth rate" formula ! ]
Whoa there! I didn't even know the President was now getting involved in this.

Quote: Originally Posted by JediMB View Post
And as much as I adore Johnny Yong Bosch... the BH's Torian romance was just uneventful and dull. If they decide to do a same-sex romance arc with him, I sincerely hope they write something that's more interesting than the straight romance arc.
Some of the OGR could use some brushing up. I've only played the femConsular so far, but as sweet as Iresso is, the romance itself was a little dull.

"Marry me!"
"No, I can't, you know... I'm a Jedi.... the code!" *blushing*
"Please?"
"Argh.... okay, then...* *kiss*

MagusGothica
12.20.2012 , 04:34 PM | #4307
What bugs me the most about this... is the supposition that EA/BioWare somehow fears this content. That they are holding off on announcing it or discussing it out of fear.

Fear of... what? Bad press? They've already been through all that. Back at launch, the SWTOR devs were all like, yeah, SGR's are gonna be in this game, deal with it. And the conservative media groups, family groups, lobbyists, etc. blasted them for it. They've already been hit for it. Worst case scenario... is what, exactly? A year after launch, they announce SGR, and the conservatives go, 'okay, well, you already said you were gonna, and we already complained about it, which clearly didn't stop you, so there's not a whole hell of a lot else we can do'.

I mean, what exactly is EA/BW supposedly so afraid of? It's certainly not going to hurt sales or anything. At launch, everybody knew about BW's plans for SGR's. (And if you didn't know, what rock did you live under? Did you not read anything about the game, like, at all? Seriously?) Guess what? They bought the game anyway. SWTOR had amazing box sales for an MMO launch, comparatively speaking of course. People, in general, seem to care a lot less that SGR's are planned, than they care that said SGR's aren't in yet. Comparatively, I see a lot less complaints about "gays in space" than I see requests for them. Which indicates to me that the population asking is higher.

Maybe the population campaigning against SGR's is censored. Maybe we're just a really vocal minority. I'm not dismissing the possibility, however, I do hold the firm opinion that bigotry deserves to be censored. You don't have the right to campaign against equality, I'm sorry.

And speaking more specifically on that to DarthRamette, I still don't understand why you don't want SGR's, I really don't. You've seen all of the arguments for it, you're obviously intellectual enough to understand them, and yet you continue to refuse them. Your counter arguments have generally been well-phrased, but... At this point, you just come across as a petulant child stamping her foot because you didn't get what you wanted. "NO I DON'T WANT THEM, I DON'T CARE WHAT THE REASON IS." My question is... why? We're not asking you to present your argument because it's a requirement, we just... don't understand. Most people generally want clarification when presented with something they don't understand.

My appeal to you, DarthRamette, is simple. IT DOESN'T AFFECT YOU. Much like in real life, it really doesn't. People are out there, right now, being gay in the privacy of their own homes. You don't have to see it. In SWTOR, people would be off being gay in their starships. You don't have to see it. It doesn't affect you. This won't be forced on you. It's yet another game feature like PvP or space battles, that you can choose to participate in, or choose to avoid, as per your preference. It's completely up to you. People are still going to be gay, SGR's or no. There's some guy emoting kisses to Corso somewhere, I guarantee it. But... guess what? It doesn't affect you. OGR's don't affect you. There's no indication of which companion a player is romancing. So why, why, do you continue to rail against a feature that you personally don't like, when it won't affect you and you'll never have to see it? I honestly don't understand why you would be willing to deny equality to an entire group of people just because you personally don't like it.

stuffystuffs
12.20.2012 , 04:54 PM | #4308
Quote: Originally Posted by MagusGothica View Post
I mean, what exactly is EA/BW supposedly so afraid of? It's certainly not going to hurt sales or anything. At launch, everybody knew about BW's plans for SGR's. (And if you didn't know, what rock did you live under? Did you not read anything about the game, like, at all? Seriously?) Guess what? They bought the game anyway.
I think some still hold out hope that it won't be included after all and to this day it hasn't been so I guess you can't blame them.

Also, there might be back-lash if someone's toon's girlfriend is now "suddenly bisexual" and likes women and OMG that character is ruined now. The cynic in me thinks that if the go the route of adding SGRAs with existing romance options that it will be with the least popular OGRA ones.

wainot-keel
12.20.2012 , 04:56 PM | #4309
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
**pops in, utterly exhausted before going back to bed**

Watch the real life stuff guys, like religious and political topics. I don't want to see anyone get into trouble for that.

I've got to try to sleep before I keel over.

**poofs for a bit**
Regarding the moderation post we had the other day, such post has been updated

Quote: Originally Posted by CommunitySupport View Post
Hello everyone; we've been having to remove a large number of posts from this thread for being off-topic. We ask that you please keep discussions to SGRA as it directly relates to SWTOR - asking for clarification, discussing potential implementations, and similar discussion. Discussion about other games in this thread or anything relating to real-world social or political issues is not appropriate (anywhere on the forums). We'd also like to remind you that discussion of moderation is not permitted on the forums. Thank you for your understanding.

update: To make this message more clear - comparisons to other games are just fine, but if the discussion becomes derailed and is more about another game than just a helpful comparison, that's what we consider off-topic. Discussion of real-world social and political issues is not permitted anywhere on the forums.

DarthAeonis
12.20.2012 , 06:29 PM | #4310
Quote: Originally Posted by QwibQwib View Post
Stumbled upon this again, and thought I'd post it. We could all use a few laughs: SWTOR is Same-Sextastic
i remember that episode omg its was so ridiculous, especially showing the wrong game lol
"Evil is an illusion, there is only victory."