Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

MusedMoose's Avatar


MusedMoose
07.21.2012 , 07:47 PM | #421
Quote: Originally Posted by KhamG View Post
Pretty much this. The lack of a raid ready check was also brought up at the guild summit. And guess what? still no ready check
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
Yyyyyes, we're aware there are features they've said are coming 'soon' that haven't been put in. Doesn't mean it won't happen, just means it hasn't yet.
Yeah, I'd really think anyone who's played an MMO for any amount of time would know that. I just plain don't get some players' tendency to say "it's not in yet, so it's never going to be in". That would be like me saying, "Well, I'm not 50 years old yet, so I guess I'm never going to be."

Also: ready check and SGRs are completely unrelated features. Why in the world would one have anything to do with whether or not the other was in the game?

Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
07.21.2012 , 09:22 PM | #422
Quote: Originally Posted by MusedMoose View Post
I still have that issue. Deadpool FTW!
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Zandilar's Avatar


Zandilar
07.21.2012 , 09:31 PM | #423
Quote: Originally Posted by MusedMoose View Post
As for unseen waiting companions, I doubt it too - companion design is probably one of those things that's not done until it's necessary. If the writers were planning an expansion wherein the class stories continue, I'm sure they'd be working on new companions, but aside from that I would be very surprised if it was happening. HK-51 aside.
I have to disagree with you here. Chances are, they designed more companions than they needed at the start, knowing that they would eventually be introducing new companions as they expanded each class's story.
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

MusedMoose's Avatar


MusedMoose
07.21.2012 , 09:58 PM | #424
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
I have to disagree with you here. Chances are, they designed more companions than they needed at the start, knowing that they would eventually be introducing new companions as they expanded each class's story.
Hmm, good point, I hadn't thought of that. Granted, there's no way to know what BW did or how they're going to do things in the future, so... yeah.

This reminds me of something I wanted to bring up, though, as it's about getting new companions for SGRs and part of why I hope that's not how BioWare does it: simply put, what if we don't like the new companions?

Part of why I want to pursue Kira with my JK is because I love how things already are between them. Like I've said, they have this Xena/Gabrielle thing going that's awesome, and I really like the idea of two Jedi hiding their relationship from the Council but not at all feeling like they're doing anything wrong. If Kira's the JK's female SGR option, fine and dandy, I'll be thrilled. But what if she's not? I have this vague idea of the JK's female SGR companion being some smart-mouthed blaster jockey smuggler, someone who's supposed to have a love-hate relationship with the JK but whom I just can't stand having around.

I know this is completely hypothetical, but I think it's a legit concern and it's a huge part of why I hope BW doesn't go the "only with new companions" route for SGRs. Back at the guild summit, they said they're reading our suggestions, so I'm hoping they've decided to make SGRs with current companions.

KhamG's Avatar


KhamG
07.21.2012 , 11:04 PM | #425
Quote: Originally Posted by MusedMoose View Post
Also: ready check and SGRs are completely unrelated features. Why in the world would one have anything to do with whether or not the other was in the game?
A ready check is a simple feature that many would appreciate. SGRs are a huge feature (if done right). Judging from this thread and others, many want this huge feature but I am unconvinced it does not represent a vocal minority.

I think the regular romances were not of a quality that would meet expectations expressed here and elsewhere. Especially those romance options that come after chapter 1 feel forced and akward. Lt. Iresso for example.

They are not related. It ws just a general observation on their ability to deliver.

Kioma's Avatar


Kioma
07.22.2012 , 01:54 AM | #426
Quote: Originally Posted by KhamG View Post
A ready check is a simple feature that many would appreciate. SGRs are a huge feature (if done right). Judging from this thread and others, many want this huge feature but I am unconvinced it does not represent a vocal minority.
I doubt anyone has exact figures on it but whether it's a vocal minority or not really isn't the point. They've said it's coming in. Just because it, and other features that they've said will be in, are not yet doesn't equate to 'never'. Bottom line is this is all guessing (on both sides of the fence, the 'never will' and the 'will some day') and until we get confirmation from a developer (or see them appear in-game) we just won't know what they have planned for any of these features.

An educated guess is still a guess.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Kioma's Avatar


Kioma
07.22.2012 , 02:09 AM | #427
Quote: Originally Posted by MusedMoose View Post
Hmm, good point, I hadn't thought of that. Granted, there's no way to know what BW did or how they're going to do things in the future, so... yeah.
I'm sure they have companions at least partially done. Absolutely sure of it. But I doubt they have any complete and ready to plug in, that was my only point.

Were I a developer I wouldn't, for example, hire someone to record the lines months before plugging the character in because developments might cause those lines to change, and then you've got to re-hire the person all over again.

Quote: Originally Posted by MusedMoose View Post
This reminds me of something I wanted to bring up, though, as it's about getting new companions for SGRs and part of why I hope that's not how BioWare does it: simply put, what if we don't like the new companions?
Simply put: that's our bad luck, and we'll need to wait for more characters to be added.

Harsh, perhaps, but it's true. They're not going to put in brand new characters and then change them completely because some people don't like them.

Let's be clear here: some people will dislike them. There are a lot of subscribers playing the game and a lot of different tastes in the mix. I'm willing to bet there's a huge variation of tastes in the watchers and writers of this thread alone. So yes, you can be certain that some people won't like any new companions added for reasons ranging from tactical to aesthetic.

It's a concern. It's a worry. But it's not really worth spending too much time fretting over because we just don't know what's in store; I have very strong preferences for certain companion characters for differing reasons and I'll be very disappointed from my own sake if none of the SGRA-enabled companions are to my tastes. But even if that's so I'll be thankful that those characters are in for the people who do dig those companions.

Quote: Originally Posted by MusedMoose View Post
If Kira's the JK's female SGR option, fine and dandy, I'll be thrilled. But what if she's not? I have this vague idea of the JK's female SGR companion being some smart-mouthed blaster jockey smuggler, someone who's supposed to have a love-hate relationship with the JK but whom I just can't stand having around.
Then, alas, you're going to be disappointed and will need to wait for another character you do like. Believe me, Kira's one of my Hopes too. I really don't think they're going to alter the companions to your tastes or mine once they're already in.

Quote: Originally Posted by MusedMoose View Post
I know this is completely hypothetical, but I think it's a legit concern and it's a huge part of why I hope BW doesn't go the "only with new companions" route for SGRs. Back at the guild summit, they said they're reading our suggestions, so I'm hoping they've decided to make SGRs with current companions.
Legit concern, yes, I agree. A concern we can do much about? Probably not, because they'd need to take the tastes of an unknown number of individuals (some of which wouldn't even weigh their opinions in) to 'get it right'. They'd really need to introduce dozens of new characters for SGRA and OGRA both if they did that. I don't think they'll ever release Personality Mod DLCs for the Dragon Age 2 characters for the same reason.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

fptackle's Avatar


fptackle
07.22.2012 , 03:22 AM | #428
Quote: Originally Posted by MusedMoose View Post
Yeah, I'd really think anyone who's played an MMO for any amount of time would know that. I just plain don't get some players' tendency to say "it's not in yet, so it's never going to be in". That would be like me saying, "Well, I'm not 50 years old yet, so I guess I'm never going to be."
That, I can clarify. You see, it's not a matter of 'it's never going to be in", but rather a matter of "not worth waiting for". We pay a subscription. The bill ticks off every month, whether they add the features we want or not. When we make the decision of how we spend our money, we look at what is in the game, what they state they intend to add, and the timetable it will take to get those additions we're interested in, and we compare the amount of enjoyment we will get to the amount of money we will spend. Somebody who has been waiting for Same Gender Relations, for example, might be willing to hold out for the original announcement of 'this year' because they purchased a 6 month subscription, and the next billing cycle of this 6 months should be guarunteed to contain what they wanted. When we are then told that we will have to wait until 'next year' for new story content, and developers refuse to comment on whether that includes the postponement includes Same Gender Relations, we no longer know if we are looking at the original 'this year', or this new timetable of 'next year'. And if it is 'next year', there is a big difference betwen 'early first quarter' and 'just in time for Christmas'. In short, some customers who have been patiently waiting for what was advertised may not want to pay 18 months more of subscription fees while they wait. Not when they have the option to cancel and come back later when the game offers them everything that they wanted.

This of it like subscribing to Satalite Television. If you buy the Ultra Sports Package because they advertise "All Sports Channels", only to discover afterwards that they do not have 'The Golf Channel", you may not be phased at all because you had no intentions of watching Golf. But if you are an avid Golfer who is more passionate about Golf than any other sport, perhaps the large amounts of Football, Baseball, and Basketball still leave you feeling unfulfilled. If your Satalite Company promises you 'Golf Channel will be added soon", that can appease you for a while. But when your subscription runs out and you've been paying for whatever period of time for something you never recieved, and then they tell you there are additional delays with 'some channels' and won't specify if your channel is one of the delayed, nor any clue how long these additional delays will take, perhaps you might not want to pay for another year of channels you don't watch just as a show of good faith to the people who have already let you down.

Just because they swear it's coming someday does not mean you want to keep paying them money for the privilege of waiting during all the weeks and months and years in between now and 'someday'.

Kioma's Avatar


Kioma
07.22.2012 , 03:30 AM | #429
Quote: Originally Posted by fptackle View Post
That, I can clarify. You see, it's not a matter of 'it's never going to be in", but rather a matter of "not worth waiting for".
<snipped for brevity>

This is an entirely valid and sensible point. It is, indeed, a matter of whether the features are worth waiting for and I, for one, firmly believe it's every player's conscientious and personal responsibility to make this decision for themselves - to really think about it, to assess what it means to be waiting an untold number of months for a feature to come in, and to decide within themselves whether they should be paying their subscription or not.

Myself, I've made that decision. I'm going to stay and I'm going to keep paying - for now.

Having said that, this is a personal decision made (or avoided) by each and every subscription payer. While I agree with the core of your point I think it's important to reiterate that everyone currently paying for a subscription to this game needs to make the choice for themselves, and that every person will have slightly different criteria as to whether the feature, the game, the experience is worth paying for.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

MusedMoose's Avatar


MusedMoose
07.22.2012 , 07:39 AM | #430
Quote: Originally Posted by fptackle View Post
Just because they swear it's coming someday does not mean you want to keep paying them money for the privilege of waiting during all the weeks and months and years in between now and 'someday'.
Well said, thank you. *golfclap* I wish more people would recognize this sort of thing, instead of getting all doom'n'gloom about features just because we haven't heard about them for a while.

As for whether I'll continue to pay while SGRs aren't in, I'm still holding to BioWare's statement that they're coming this year. If January hits and we still don't have SGRs, I plan to cancel my subscription, because I don't want to keep paying for a game if I can't play more than half of my characters the way I want to. But that will be then, this is now, and a lot can happen between now and then.

And the answer to "when will then be now?" is, of course, "soon."

Also: please remember, everyone - flag the trolls, don't fight. Let's not give our friendly neighborhood mods more work.