Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

natashina's Avatar


natashina
12.19.2012 , 06:59 PM | #4241
swtorstrategies.com is getting ready to run the story on this. It should be out in the next day or so.

Also, let me say this again.

There are plenty of examples of SGRs in the Star Wars IP. In the games, it began with original Knights of the Old Republic in 2003, with the companion Juhani, who would only romance female Revans. There was also a same gender romance in the books as well, with Goran Beviin, who's husband was Medrit Vasur. Goran was first featured in the e-book Boba Fett: A Practical Man. The two of them were later fully realized in the book Sacrifice, both of which were by created by author Karen Traviss. They are officially recognized as canon by Lucasarts.


And no, Disney will not change it either. If anyone wants evidence, please let me know and I'll be happy to provide some links.

I woke up late today with a cold, so I'm not going to be able to get in touch with TORWars today. It'll be done tomorrow.

For all those coming in from General and for all of those lurking, thanks for dropping by!

Just remember: Breathe, ignore, flag. We don't need any distractions or infractions.

edit: Um, why was the first suggestion to nominate SGRAs for the Community Round-Up gone?

edit #2: The Zeltrons are an example of a non-hetro race in Star Wars. TY for Kioma for reminding me of this.

GarrickBlackSun's Avatar


GarrickBlackSun
12.19.2012 , 07:04 PM | #4242
It has been confirmed by dev's that there WILL be more story content in Makeb/ RotHC. And in the guild summit last year, we were told that SGRAs would hopefully be out when more story is added. So I am hopeful we will see it in that expansion. And being an expansion, and a fairly large, after such a long time, I actually have a fairly good feeling it would be. I even wouldn't mind Pay2Gay; as to me it's better then pay2win as it's a fluff and optional thing that does not affect gameplay, much like Guild Wars Micro-transaction. Does anybody else share my feelings or feel like we may see it in there?

Palar's Avatar


Palar
12.19.2012 , 07:08 PM | #4243
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post

edit: Um, why was the first suggestion to nominate SGRAs for the Community Round-Up gone?
Probably to remind us to stay off General, and get back in the box.

natashina's Avatar


natashina
12.19.2012 , 07:10 PM | #4244
This will be brief, as I have a couple of emails to reply to.

Hope is all well and good. Hope for SGRs is not the reason why I pre-ordered Makeb. I play the game for a variety of reasons, and while I'm very active for this content, this isn't the only reason why I play. I never pretended that this was a "make or break" moment for me personally. It would severely cut down on my replay, but I can still enjoy the game.

However, I feel like I'm one of the lucky ones. Some cannot enjoy the game like this, and all of the LGBTQ community has been used for good PR. That isn't fair or right. It wasn't fair or right for a long time and the breaking point for me was us getting ignored at the Livestream.

I was hopeful prior to that point. Now I'm angry and making sure that there is a solid answer on this soon. Or at least make sure the press at large knows about this whole thing.

The word is spreading. Keep it up!

natashina's Avatar


natashina
12.19.2012 , 07:26 PM | #4245
Quote: Originally Posted by Palar View Post
Probably to remind us to stay off General, and get back in the box.
Ugh, of course. How silly of me to think otherwise....


I'm really done with this serious crap.

DarthRamette's Avatar


DarthRamette
12.19.2012 , 07:36 PM | #4246
I'm going to ask this is in all seriousness but why if someone does not want a SGR in this game do they have to explain why? That person's reason are their own, you don't have to agree with them just like if you hate PvP like I do, that is all I need to say. Every person has their own area which they hate (for me PvP) and others they like (killing Pubs in every way possible). You want SGR fine and others do not. I don't get why those opposed have to say why.

natashina's Avatar


natashina
12.19.2012 , 07:45 PM | #4247
First, great blog Joshi!

Evening Darth. I hope everything is going well.

It's because we don't have to justify why there is PvP. I don't ask why PvP should be in the game. They are for a minority of the player base but that player base considers it invaluable. As with end game PvE and the current romance options. We shouldn't have to have a justification for SGRs. There is no good reason why that they should be excluded. It should have been in from the start. It was expected of a BioWare game by that point, just as much as end-game PvE or PvP is for a MMO.

There is statistics that clearly state that a minority of any given MMO player base plays end-game content. Same with PvP; most often, PvP servers and content are some of the lowest pop.

We don't know how much of the player base would use SGRs, so that isn't fair to say a minority wants this or not. The minority is the only one that knows about this for the most part. We can safely all agree that the story is the main reason to play. So there is no way to tell who/how many players would use this content, unless BioWare quits messing around. Besides, content for the minority happens all the time, so this should be no different.

There are even poorer reasons why they should remain silent with Makeb coming. I don't think it's too much to ask to know if this content is even still coming at all. We know about the overall arching storyline for Makeb, so there is no excuse for BW-Austin silent at this point. If anything, the silence is making them look worse and worse.

Kioma's Avatar


Kioma
12.19.2012 , 07:48 PM | #4248
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthRamette View Post
I'm going to ask this is in all seriousness but why if someone does not want a SGR in this game do they have to explain why? That person's reason are their own, you don't have to agree with them just like if you hate PvP like I do, that is all I need to say. Every person has their own area which they hate (for me PvP) and others they like (killing Pubs in every way possible). You want SGR fine and others do not. I don't get why those opposed have to say why.
There's no 'have to'. We can't force anyone to explain anything. But the two stances are not equal no matter how hard you and others try to argue that they are, DarthRamette, because the fact is that the inclusion of SGRAs is not discriminatory in any way, whereas the EXclusion of SGRAs (in a framework where OGRAs already exist) is. If you can't see why one is not discriminatory and the other is, and why this isn't as simple a matter as PvP or faction-killing, then I must assume you're choosing not to see it because you don't strike me as being a stupid person.

In truth, the reasons why people don't want it are immaterial. Bioware has said it's coming and the mods have stated that arguing that they shouldn't be included is counter to the function of this thread. People who don't like it are simply out of luck. There's no reason the detractors can give that matters. So for my own part I don't care in the slightest why people don't want SGRAs.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Nozybidaj's Avatar


Nozybidaj
12.19.2012 , 07:49 PM | #4249
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post

There are even poorer reasons why they should remain silent with Makeb coming. I don't think it's too much to ask to know if this content is even still coming at all. We know about the overall arching storyline for Makeb, so there is no excuse for BW-Austin silent at this point. If anything, the silence is making them look worse and worse.
If it was coming they would be talking about. Additionally, I'm not sure how much worse the BW-Austin group could look at this point. They might be figuring as long as they have already hit rock bottom might as well stay there.

techwitch's Avatar


techwitch
12.19.2012 , 07:51 PM | #4250
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
In truth, the reasons why people don't want it are immaterial. Bioware has said it's coming and the mods have stated that arguing that they shouldn't be included is counter to the function of this thread. People who don't like it are simply out of luck. There's no reason the detractors can give that matters. So for my own part I don't care in the slightest why people don't want SGRAs.
Agreed. If you don't want one, don't have one. No brainer, right? Well, one would think so, anyway.
Choosing to limit one's vision is not the path to enlightenment. I prefer a world where there are limitless possibilities.