Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Joushigun
12.18.2012 , 10:44 PM | #4191
natashina,

Two things...one, my only problem with what they said was the idea that this couldn't have been redressed faster. I'm a writer. Yeah, a novel takes ages to write, but this could probably have been done in six months.

Second, GLAAD isn't the only one paying attention. Yeah, the holidays are here and things are kind of slow and quiet.

But come the new year, the LGBT Blogosphere may be a bit less than forgiving at this point.
"I am a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife."- Lady Vastra, Doctor Who and the Snowmen

Palar
12.18.2012 , 10:49 PM | #4192
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
Yeah, I didn't have any problem with the podcast, other than the weird "alien and therefore not really female" comment. ***, so my female Chiss is not really female? damn. It's good that people are talking about this as many places as possible.
I don't get that either, this isn't The Left Hand of Darkness we're talking about.

As for the podcast in general, maybe they wanted to be accessible to listeners who haven't followed things, but it felt like hearing the same discussions we were having back in February and March about this. When they went over the developement/lead time scales, it just sounded like the assumption of "they haven't started yet" - that or Devil's Advocate to say the piecemeal patches are from slower completion times and not "dragging out finished content to buy time for the Cartel Market getting all the new stuff." (Maybe I was also in a bad mood after seeing the Makeb "we lied, pony up your money" kerfuffle and lack of new info with it.)

No offense to them, even the guy who sounded bored, but my first impression was "GLAAD seemed to grasp this better, sooner... and these people actually play the game." Thought about it more, and I get that it was a 'Dummy's Guide intro' for their audience to gauge opinions, more than us - a good start, hopefully it's fruitful.

natashina
12.18.2012 , 10:50 PM | #4193
Quote: Originally Posted by Joushigun View Post
natashina,

Two things...one, my only problem with what they said was the idea that this couldn't have been redressed faster. I'm a writer. Yeah, a novel takes ages to write, but this could probably have been done in six months.
Mind you, this isn't just about the writing. I'm a writer as well. It was also about VA and animation and all those details.

I'm not apologizing for EA/BW though. This has been really...fracked up. It does not excuse EA/BW doing shady crap like gushing about the LGBT gamer base with one of their two faces, the other ignoring us. My goal is to still let the world know about the double standards and punch a few serious holes into their PR image towards the LGBT gamer community.

edit: Also, I'm willing to bet now that SGRs are finished. However they are being childish and cowardly about it for now, for whatever reason.

I will still state that BW-Austin had more than enough writer and other lead time up to now. I hated that assumption that came out of the podcast. Again, it's not like Hall Hood came up with the writing all by himself.

Please don't mistake me! I think BW-Austin should have addressed this a helluva lot sooner. That was one of the points I strongly disagreed with from the podcast. I will be bringing that up with them later.

I will also bring up the point that it sounded like Brian didn't do more than maybe scan the letter. That was the one area that I was pretty pissed off about.

That when he commented that the SSSP people haven't gotten answer for months either. "Except at the Livestream."

No offense to the members of TORWars that might be following this reaction, but he really missed the point. So much so it left me a little offended. If we had at least gotten acknowledged at the Livestream, this whole thing wouldn't have happened. Or at least not so quickly.

Quote:
Second, GLAAD isn't the only one paying attention. Yeah, the holidays are here and things are kind of slow and quiet.

But come the new year, the LGBT Blogosphere may be a bit less than forgiving at this point.
That's more than fine by me.

After everything that's happened, I'm willing to relax for about 2 weeks. Until the New Year.

Then I'm going to do what I can to ramp things back up.

Your tone came off as really offended. I promise that I didn't mean to offend.

natashina
12.18.2012 , 11:10 PM | #4194
Oh and about relaxing on the issue:

I should clarify this. I'm going to start sending out that link to the podcast to the sites I've hit up before. I'm not contacting GLAAD about it just yet. I want to give this some time to get out there. I'm backing off on major emails for now.

I also need the help from some of the braver posters in here. I know for a fact that places like mmo-champ and others have had threads popping up quite a bit asking about SGRs. I mention the brave part because I don't think I could go into some of those forums and do it. I don't quite have the mental stamina. I was hoping if some of the more brave of you could start going to those sites and link the podcast?

A quick search on google will get a bunch of sites. I'll be emailing those sites, for sure. However, I need you guys to help spread the word across the net. Link it anywhere and everywhere that has threads about SGRs in this game.

Make sure that there is already a relevant thread on the subject. Please don't go in and hijack threads. If it's a top number of things that players would like to see in ToR, please write more than just SGRs. It'll show the other posters that you enjoy the game as well as desiring SGRs.

I do encourage starting your own thread though, for the more brave than I'll ever be.

I'm keeping the pressure and noise up. Oh, they aren't getting away that easily. Not after all of this.

I'm just easing up some is all. Some=13 days.

I've also been nonstop at this since the 29th. I need to slow down some.

Joushigun
12.18.2012 , 11:20 PM | #4195
I wasn't offended. Sometimes I can come across as a bit curt. I'll snag the podcast for my site for tomorrow. I'm in a lot of pain right now, so I'm not writing quite so coherently. Plus....some things in my TOR guild have made me a bit uncomfortable lately to the point of wanting to find another, more LGBT friendly guild even if it means changing servers and starting all over again.

Oh, and I did start my own thread...they merged it with another thread.
"I am a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife."- Lady Vastra, Doctor Who and the Snowmen

Ixum
12.18.2012 , 11:21 PM | #4196
meh... silly podcast. I think some ppl just dont understand that SGRAs are stories, not a new technical feature or a game mechanic. New story is coming, so if its a priority issue they should drop one of the generic kill x amount of droids missions and focus on SGRAs.
The Male Eyecandy thread!

Game of Ixum @ TUMBLR

Toyboy | Splashy | Thrilldrill | Spray | Lustus | Zwallow | Virilo | Hotgun of Nano @ TOFN
Fappo Red Arcadia EU @ The Progenitor

natashina
12.18.2012 , 11:26 PM | #4197
I'm glad I didn't offend you. Oooh believe me, I do have a few points of feedback to give. I'm not going to shoot the messenger though, but our feedback will be heard.

<looks that a new thread started on swtor.com>

No no no...

Don't start your own thread here. I know that about as good as peeing in the wind at this point.

I meant on sites like mmo-champ, the various sites Gamespot and IGN host. Other swtor related sites you can find.

@Ixum That's how changes start though. One person does a well done story about this matter, it brings visibility. I'm not going to say that TORWars is 100% correct. I don't agree with everything they said. But, by spreading this podcast far and wide, it shows that BW/EA has not said a word. That they are jerking the players around in some way. And that people outside of our thread/community do care.

Also, they said they were trying to look at it from different angles. For the most part, they were looking at possibilities. They never said that some of the more iffy ideas were good ones or if that was what they wanted to happen.

One of the hosts I felt like was trying to blow the whole thing off, but I'm not getting into that further for now.

Now we make sure everyone knows this. Write your blogs and get the link out. I'm going to try to get more sites to write on this now.

We might not be able to get an answer. I do believe we can get BW/EA held accountable for using and lying to the LGBT playerbase. Omission is as good and as hurtful as hate and silence. They used us, and we've got to make sure that it's known quickly.

natashina
12.19.2012 , 12:03 AM | #4198
Last thing, I promise. My left arm is cussing at me.

I've thought about some of the players that have been outed in their guilds and the tough time many of them have. There is going to need to be some refuges. I can also look around and see if there is any LGBT friendly guilds on my US server.

I'm in two guilds at the moment. One of them is my level 50 raiding guild. They are a really good bunch of guys. I use the term guys literally; I'm the only token female. I really have a lot of fun doing Ops and HMs with them and they are very patient. They'll allow me to fully watch a cutscene if I've never done the run before. They give me lots of tips and advice and I gel with their sense of humor.

However, they've kinda "been there, done that" too many times with the story and planet quests. I only have 2 50s, one of which I almost never play.

I joined another guild on an alt for the social aspect. I ended up roling up a LS Sith Mara this time. Good heart, but still a Sith. Sound familiar?

It looks like a fun and very open minded bunch on the server. They are either pro-SGR or neutral. However, in time, it may prove to be a refuge. I know that they would accept me.

I don't know how well my raiding guild would react if they put this name from here together directly with me. I honestly believe that EA/BW will be forced to say something just after the New Year. When that time comes, I'll see the reactions from my guild. Again, I'll stress that these seem to be a good bunch of guys all in all.

I have limits though. Honestly, if anyone of them started the hateful LGBT bashing, I'd probably just leave. I wouldn't be able to stay civil.

If anyone wants to know what server and toon names I have, send me a PM. I have another idea for a couple of months down the road. I can also see if my server would be a viable place for me to help some of you guys attempt to contact a LGBT friendly guild.

I'm going to be starting a blogspot this week. I'd like a place where I can speak a lot more freely and where you guys can give feedback about SGRs and the handling of them more freely.

I'll let you know when I have it set up.

Edit: I didn't mean to ignore you coruscantdweller. I'll be addressing your post later, especially with reason #2. Thank you for the lighter hearted approach though.

SirGladiator
12.19.2012 , 12:14 AM | #4199
We all know that it takes days or even hours, not a year, to disable the 'gender check' for the romances in the game, so time has nothing to do with why it hasn't been implemented yet, its just because they dont want to. But I'd like to offer a pro-active suggestion. Since obviously they are afraid of negative feedback for implementing this option, there's a super DUPER easy way to avoid it, it's super obvious but I've never heard anybody suggest it, so maybe this is one of those 'hidden in plain sight' deals. You know how they have companion gifts? I always like those by the way, thats a cool part of the game. You know how one type of gift is a 'courting' gift. Suppose they made that the 'trigger' for the SGRAs. You simply give the LI you want to romance, but up til now haven't been able to, a 'courting' gift, and that activates the romance, you can now romance them the same as any other LI. It would take away any and all complaints, because if somebody says 'Oh no, I've been hit on by (fill in the blank), this is terrible!' you can laugh at them and say 'Well why were you courting them in the first place?'. Anybody who doesn't want SGRAs in their game still wouldnt have them, because they wouldnt be giving courting gifts to an LI they werent interested in, and those who do want them would finally have them, because courting gifts are super duper easy to get and give to the teammate of your choice.

Of course the easiest thing to do is to just disable the gender checks and give us the SGRAs tomorrow, and I'd certainly enjoy it if they did that, but if they wanted to take a few days and do it the way I suggested, that would probably be the better way to go for them, in terms of making everybody on both sides happy. But whatever they do, hopefully the pressure we're putting on them will force them to do it soon.

PS, on the topic of companion gifts, until they do fully activate the romances for the existing teammates, they could at least make them respond to our courting gifts in a more positive way, 'as if' they were in a romance with our character. You know, the little things they say when you give them a gift. That wouldnt require any new voicework or anything at all, it would just be a nice little piece of the romance to experience until we got the whole thing. Maybe somebody could make that suggestion to one of the higher-ups, that'd certainly be something they could do in virtually no time at all and wouldn't make anybody unhappy.

Awakaa
12.19.2012 , 12:23 AM | #4200
Long time lurker here, I just wanted to pop in real quick and say that you are doing an amazing job Natashina. SRGA are very important to me but i could never do what you are doing. keep up the amazing work!