Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Ketchum
12.13.2012 , 07:19 PM | #4031
Quote: Originally Posted by badlydrawnroy View Post
That's my article - many thanks for the bump/repost over here.

Let me know what you guys think about it - I want to do a follow up piece eventually when SGRs actually start getting implemented so would be good to get feedback.
It's a great article! I love it, and the more attention this gets, the better.

Although you say "There are almost 400 posts in the thread about SGRs on the official SWTOR forum, " Do you mean this topic? If so, this thread has over 4,000 posts and it's only the seventh incarnation. I may be mistaken, it wouldn't be the first time.
Murder and mayhem await

natashina
12.13.2012 , 08:12 PM | #4032
Yeah, I had just come back from outside and did realized my numbers wrong.

Doup and I figured out the math and it's closer to 30000 posts and counting. Over 2000 pages. No word.

I'm not going to give up. It's frustrating right now, to be sure. Especially since we have to be very cautious.

Remember this: Nothing will change unless we make it change.

We can do this guys!

As I was reminded earlier:

Quote:
Keep the magazines interested, keep GLAAD involved. Remind them that we haven't heard an answer from anyone, including them. There are good reasons to be optimistic, hold onto them. The only way to get an answer is to gradually ramp up pressure on them, and that is the hard part.

I remind you that we are not being burning flamebrands here, we are reasoned and not overreaching. With each overreach by them, our case gets stronger.
Also, BW-Austin recently said that they were giving their employees lighter hours for the holidays. It's still going to be a bit, but we'll get an answer. Just keep going guys and do not give up. If we continue working together as a community, we'll not only get our answer, but we'll be able to hold BW accountable for treating us so poorly.

Oh and start saving all your posts.

natashina
12.13.2012 , 08:29 PM | #4033
Forgot to add:

That was a very well written blog! I got it bookmarked just in case.

If anyone hasn't already, please write to GLAAD. Yes, I sound like a broken record, but I cannot stress enough that we have to continue to be pro-active.

Also, if anyone is feel braver than I, please bump Uluain's thread. It's not fun, but it will create more visiblity. The more people see this, the more likely they are going to write to GLAAD. Which in turn means we'll get that much closer to an answer.

These are the people I have written to date:

• 1up.com
  • Kotaku.com
  • forbes.com
  • Huffington Post
  • The Gawker
  • The Consumerist
  • Destructoid.com
  • Gaygamer.net
  • GLAAD

I removed Dan Savage's information. From the sounds of it, he probably wouldn't be sympathetic.

Guys, we can't let what the rest of the internet thinks of this game get to us. Their opinion isn't the point. Again, the only way to get them to care is if we make them care. This is more than just about little ol' us; this is about the hypocritical nature of the game industry. You cannot use a minority to create good PR while ignoring a substantial part of that minority. That is one of the large areas where I draw the line.

Let's keep this up! Besides, we've got nothing left to lose, except our subs. Voting with our wallets isn't going to do anything from the looks of it. Writing to news sites is the only get this done from what I can see. It's been evident that BW-Austin really doesn't give a hoot if people quit. They would care if this whole thing causes them to come out of the silence closet.

I used that turn of phrase of deliberately. Ironic, isn't it?

You guys are my inspiration for all of this. There has been some wonderful players I've met in here that don't deserve this crap.

**hugs**

markcymru
12.13.2012 , 08:33 PM | #4034
There's a new thread in General Discussion asking for suggestions on what to put into the game next: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=571682

Palar
12.13.2012 , 08:36 PM | #4035
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
Yeah, I had just come back from outside and did realized my numbers wrong.

Doup and I figured out the math and it's closer to 30000 posts and counting. Over 2000 pages. No word.

I'm not going to give up. It's frustrating right now, to be sure. Especially since we have to be very cautious.
/whistle... that much, eh?

I expect they were banking on a different reaction, but that just refreshed my stubbornness. Right then, once more unto the breach of faith.

Dire-Wolf
12.13.2012 , 08:50 PM | #4036
Out of curiosity, have you guys also been campaigning for same gender flirts with quest NPCs or have you just being asking for same gender romances with companion? I'd really love same gender romances with companion, and if that's all BioWare wants to add I'll take it, but I'd also really like to be able to flirt with same gender quest NPCs. I've held off rolling both a Smuggler and an Imperial Agent as I've heard they're pretty flirt heavy classes and I'd like an answer to this before deciding whether or not to roll them.

Ellianshia
12.13.2012 , 08:51 PM | #4037

-snip-
These are the people I have written to date:
  • 1up.com
  • Kotaku.com
  • forbes.com
  • Huffington Post
  • The Gawker
  • The Consumerist
  • Destructoid.com
  • Gaygamer.net
  • GLAAD
-snip-
Could always try IGN too. While not LGBT-focused, they seem interested in sexuality/gender as it relates to PC/Video games, judging by a recent article that addresses the issues female gamers face.

I know, I know, not exactly the same, not very similar, but eh... they are a pretty major gaming news site, so contacting them might not hurt, plus they give contact information to the big hats, so you could end up in a dialogue with someone who can make things happen.

natashina
12.13.2012 , 08:55 PM | #4038
Quote: Originally Posted by Dire-Wolf View Post
Out of curiosity, have you guys also been campaigning for same gender flirts with quest NPCs or have you just being asking for same gender romances with companion? I'd really love same gender romances with companion, and if that's all BioWare wants to add I'll take it, but I'd also really like to be able to flirt with same gender quest NPCs. I've held off rolling both a Smuggler and an Imperial Agent as I've heard they're pretty flirt heavy classes and I'd like an answer to this before deciding whether or not to roll them.
There's was thread dedicated to that, but it seems to be missing.

It probably got locked and redirected here at some point.

Personally, I'd love same gender flirts as well. My main is a female sniper and didn't get a lot of flirts at all outside of Vector (the love interest for lady toons.) That conversation has come up before though.

The male Smuggler is very very flirt heavy and caused a few players to abandon those characters. It was so bad that it caused some of the male gay members of the community to feel really angry. I don't blame them. It's not just lack of same gender companion romances, but also same gender flirts too.

Edit: Nevermind. I have an awesome husband. Doup is the man!

http://games.ign.com/email.html

Ellianshia
12.13.2012 , 09:05 PM | #4039
There's also the IGN contact page. It might be one for corporate contacts, but eh... one never knows. Seeing how I am going to be unable to post in a few days due to canceling subscription, it might be best if someone else contacts them first.

natashina
12.13.2012 , 09:09 PM | #4040
I got my mail sent off. As always, you guys will be informed as soon as I have any response. I need everyone to start writing where ever and when ever they can.

I know it's obnoxious, but I really don't care. I don't care what other people think of this whole thing, I only care about the content that was promised to us. The LGBTQ community has a history of standing up and making people care.

We can do it again.

I'll be writing up a follow up letter to GLAAD this weekend. It'll be polite for sure, since they are really trying to help us.

Not like I can do much else at the moment. I've got another wisdom tooth extraction in the morning. Joy.