Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

natashina
12.10.2012 , 07:00 PM | #3981
<very un-Jedi like words here that would make my DS sorc blush>

<big Jedi hugs to the thread>

I'm trying this again, since I don't see how this is off-topic. Glad I save my posts. Same with some of the other conversations from earlier. I put this back up in the General forums too. Since not everyone reads this thread or the other one, I'll put this here. I'd recommend to everyone to start saving their posts.

Re-edited this to take out some of the more aggressive lines.

They haven't said that they were working on it publicly since March. Please show me where publicly since March they have directly told the players it's coming.

Here's a same gender romance in from the books, with Goran Beviin, who's husband was Medrit Vasur. Goran was first featured in the e-book Boba Fett: A Practical Man. The two of them were later fully realized in the book Sacrifice, both of which were by created by author Karen Traviss. They are officially recognized as canon by Lucasarts.

Let me try this.

I don't know how to make this anymore clear. BW-Austin made a promise to the players for this content repeatedly. And I'm not going to quibble over the word, "promise," again. That just reminds me of trying to define what, "is" is.

We do not want this going ahead of bug fixes. I have no idea where that perception comes from. I would like the 32-bit crashing bug and some of the /stuck bugs fixed first. That Win 32-mem leak truly is game breaking. Or the fact companions still might not follow you onto and off of an elevator.

I personally don't want this ahead of loosening some of the F2P restrictions. Some of those are really really silly imho, and some of my friends in game have had more trouble than they need.

Please don't talk about what comes first. Many other things have come first. Personally, I could give a flying flip about the new Warzones or new gear sets. This also includes the Black Hole, EV, Section X (not a big fan of that place,) and literally everything else that came before this point.

You realize that if BW-Austin had talked about this months ago, or even a few weeks ago at the Livestream, none of this would have happened, right? Even a simple, "Hey, it's still coming!" Or, "Hey, sorry, it had to be tossed." Not completely ignored. You do realize that most of us could live with a "Nope, sorry, we can't do it?"

The only reason why I went to GLAAD is that I found out they had helped us before. What we were supposed to do, just sit in the forums and do nothing about it? After using every means available to contact BW? I do mean every resource. We just didn't call the front office, but we literally did everything else.

I would have never dreamed that GLAAD took an interested in LGBT content in games. When I did, you bet I wrote them. I am no longer afraid or that bothered by trolls. Many of you guys are strangers in the internet; I really don't care if you feel like I'm wasting my time. I do care about getting an answer that they've had more than enough time to prepare.

So, 15 months of no implementation and 9 months without recognition may be peachy keen to some. It isn't to me and apparently not a few others. The Livestream being ignored was the final straw for some.
Perhaps BW-Austin can see the kinds of passion (good and bad) it brings out in people. Maybe they'll realize that they just can't keep ignoring one section of the player base while celebrating it at the same time. And finally give us all an answer.
EA's stance on LGBT content in games and in the community.

They do this and some wonder why we stepped up our emailing? Look at the headline. No, LGBT community and their allies did not write this. EA gave the interview all by themselves. We were not going to take silence as any answer after that article.

Quote:
"There have been no questions, comments or concerns raised from our investors with regards to support for LGBT initiatives in the community or having LGBT characters in our games," Maseda said, casting a net beyond DOMA and into the company's decisions to celebrate Pride Month and allow gay player characters in Star Wars: The Old Republic. "Essentially, it's been a non-issue from an investor perspective."
You do realize that the posters had to go and correct that article, right? Look at the correction notice at the bottom of the article. So yeah, we started going to GLAAD as well as news sites (GLAAD was by far not the only one written about this,) after they started talking about adding SGR characters, but not address the player base. I don't think anyone would want to take a third part site for an answer. So if they want to talk about how much they love the LGBT community and then ignore us, we are going to step up.

All of this could have been resolved with a simple, clear, honest answer.

DarthArturus
12.10.2012 , 07:24 PM | #3982
I just cancelled my subscription. I told them the reason is lack of information about SGR as promised.

I also mentioned I will re-subcribe when SGR is implemented.

Palar
12.10.2012 , 08:03 PM | #3983
If they can't see it, it's not a problem.

natashina
12.10.2012 , 08:05 PM | #3984
More or less...methinks some one higher up is very angry that we're speaking up about this.

I've been encouraging real life friends of mine to write GLAAD. Two of so have done it already. They don't play ToR, but they do agree with our stances. Talking about the deleted Tweet really was what got their attention.

Please don't give up guys! Keep writing to GLAAD and don't forget that they have responded to several of us. Facebook really seems to be the best way of getting a quick response, so keep doing that. Hopefully we'll hear more soon. At least GLAAD and games industry International respect us enough to respond.

natashina
12.10.2012 , 08:32 PM | #3985
The thread in General is re-opened. After some of comments in there, I can't say I blame them too much.

That's why I stepped up to this next level. I was tired of seeing the LGBT community taken for granted. I was tired of seeing great supporters get burnt out with a case of the "F' it alls." I was very tired of the articles that talk a good game about inclusion, yet won't even give the player base a decent clear answer.

I'm going to throw this in. Tell your friends that might care, tell your guildies.

https://www.facebook.com/GLAAD

That's the one I'd recommend first. It took me less than 24 hrs to get an answer and other posters have heard from them as well. They are looking into it. The more that people write in, the more that BW will be forced to give a real answer.

http://www.glaad.org/contact

For email goodness to GLAAD

brenden.sinclair@gamesindustry.biz

This is from the site that had the now rather infamous pro-LGBT article.

They published that on October 15th interviewing EA and Zynga about their feelings about LGTB content. The posters here had to correct it. See the correction statement at the bottom of the article.

Here's the article, for anyone curious.

From the horse's mouth.

If anyone has any questions about SGRs, the rating board, examples of LGBT couples in the Star Wars EU, ect, please take a look at my signature. That's where my rapid fire answers to some of the polite and not-so-polite questions come from.

Edit: A few hours after I put up this post, I wrote to alternet.org to see if they would pursue this story. I'll make sure to let everyone know if I hear back from them.

natashina
12.11.2012 , 02:17 AM | #3986

I just wanted to say thank you. To all of you. This means a lot to see the community band together like this. Thank you all for trying not to feed the trolls and trying to remain level headed. I want to try to give you guys a big fat SGR public answer for the holidays. I don't know if I can, but you guys make me want to try harder.

So thanks!

I'll keep on writing, you guys keep writing and try to keep your heads up. Also, please don't bash on the mods or the devs. I feel someone in a suit has decided to take this route. The longer that they remain quiet at this point, the worse they are going to look. It's frustrating but for right now, that isn't a bad thing. We've forced them to think and try to address the player base.

So please, remember that the moderators are at the mercy of their bosses, and that the developers are as well. The person/people calling all the shots on this from a PR standpoint are probably being very scrutinized by their peers and bosses as we speak.

If you have the fortitude, stick with this! I'm going to keep working for an answer so long as I have the stamina for it.

Try to have a good eve everyone.

“The most important kind of freedom is to be what you really are. You trade in your reality for a role. You trade in your sense for an act. You give up your ability to feel, and in exchange, put on a mask. There can't be any large-scale revolution until there's a personal revolution, on an individual level. It's got to happen inside first.”--Jim Morrison

Sneakycheeks
12.11.2012 , 08:47 AM | #3987
I'm hoping that when Bioware puts them into effect that Vette is on the list..so that my Sith Warrior can romance her ^^

CommunitySupport
12.11.2012 , 11:00 AM | #3988
Hello everyone; we've been having to remove a large number of posts from this thread for being off-topic. We ask that you please keep discussions to SGRA as it directly relates to SWTOR - asking for clarification, discussing potential implementations, and similar discussion. Discussion about other games in this thread or anything relating to real-world social or political issues is not appropriate (anywhere on the forums). We'd also like to remind you that discussion of moderation is not permitted on the forums. Thank you for your understanding.

update: To make this message more clear - comparisons to other games are just fine, but if the discussion becomes derailed and is more about another game than just a helpful comparison, that's what we consider off-topic. Discussion of real-world social and political issues is not permitted anywhere on the forums.

MoobooMagoo
12.11.2012 , 11:21 AM | #3989
Quote: Originally Posted by Sneakycheeks View Post
I'm hoping that when Bioware puts them into effect that Vette is on the list..so that my Sith Warrior can romance her ^^
Same here! They would be adorable together.
Explorer: 80% Achiever: 60% Killer: 47% Socializer: 13%

Daniel Erickson and the Amazing Technicolor Dream-Abs

Palar
12.11.2012 , 02:29 PM | #3990
Quote: Originally Posted by CommunitySupport View Post
Hello everyone; we've been having to remove a large number of posts from this thread for being off-topic. We ask that you please keep discussions to SGRA as it directly relates to SWTOR - asking for clarification, discussing potential implementations, and similar discussion. Discussion about other games in this thread or anything relating to real-world social or political issues is not appropriate (anywhere on the forums). We'd also like to remind you that discussion of moderation is not permitted on the forums. Thank you for your understanding.
Oh, so suddenly you're aware that we've been asking for clarification for over a year? Any progress on forwarding those questions, or are you still just dumping them in the bin?