Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

chuixupu
12.09.2012 , 02:21 PM | #3961
Quote:
Hey Real Name, here's what they told us:

"We too have gotten a lot of questions about this and should be able to issue an answer soon. We had to be able to confirm things and we’re getting closer to that point. As soon as we have final confirmation that is happening, we’ll let you know to give you a heads up."

Not sure if that helps you any, but it's the latest we've got. Thanks,
---
Brendan Sinclair
Staff Writer, GamesIndustry International
I wonder if they really have some EA bigwigs making them check in piece by piece with every bit of content and checking the budget. Maybe not a stretch considering how crazy it got during development. They might be green-lighting content based on how much money they make in cartel shop.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

natashina
12.09.2012 , 02:24 PM | #3962
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
I wonder if they really have some EA bigwigs making them check in piece by piece with every bit of content and checking the budget. Maybe not a stretch considering how crazy it got during development. They might be green-lighting content based on how much money they make in cartel shop.
Last post for a bit and then I'm going to go hang out with Doup and maybe play DA: O

I hope by the end of the year that they release concrete information. I feel your theory about the Cartel Market is a good one, so by Jan 1st they should have an idea how well the game is doing.

Still, I would have figured they would have had most of this done long before now. Especially with the whole comment about, the writers "having a huge lead time." I just wish they would say as such, instead of some of the best of the worst of corporate double speak.

Kinda proud of myself in the General thread. It wasn't easy to post and I wasn't going to address them directly. I did feel something had to be said though.

I may be asking some of you DA vets about quirks in the game as well as for some tips. Part of the reason why I'm playing it is for the SGRs. So far, I have gotten one flirt with a female as a female elf (rogue-archer.) The Sister (the rogue minion, whose name escapes me atm) isn't my type, but it was nice to see such an option available.

badlydrawnroy
12.09.2012 , 04:48 PM | #3963
I'm currently writing up an article about SGRs in RPGs in general, with a focus on SWTOR and other BW games. - I'll post it up here for some blatant self-promotion once it's up on the net. I'm really struggling to find a suitable image to use for it - anyone got any ideas or seen any particularly good images referencing the (hopefully) upcoming SGRs?

Slaign
12.09.2012 , 05:04 PM | #3964
Quote: Originally Posted by stormdrakelord View Post
Perhaps, perhaps not, but I would rather have a new bi romance then have them risk screwing a current companion's character just to make them bi.
I don't see why every companion that's romancable shouldn't be hero-sexual.

It seems to be a common theme around these discussions, and I've seen it from both anti and pro SGR posters, that a person's personality is indicative of their sexuality or visa versa. I can't count how many times I've heard "Being bi just doesn't fit their character."

What?

That's like saying a certain companion's personality wouldn't fit with a different skin color. It's grossly stereotypical. We already have the options via customizations to change the skin colors of both humans and aliens.

It's not like the personality of the player character changes based on gender as far as the game is concerned. Yes, the voice actor is different, but the lines are pretty much the same. So why would the companion treat the hero, who is essentially the same person, differently just because of their gender?

I don't see why anything needs to be changed about the romances that exist to make them "fit" for homosexual couples. Love is love, and I believe that what Kira would say to a man she loves wouldn't be so different if that man happened to be a woman.

In fact, I find it a little patronizing to feel the need to write romances specifically for SGRAs. To me, that implies that the personalities and emotions involved fundamentally change because of the genders involved. Aside from lines that directly reference gender, I don't see the need. The personalities involved are the same.

If the player character changed significantly in personality between genders, I'd see the point. As it is, I don't understand why they can't just do a series of tweaks and just allow me to play any of the content that already exists regardless of my gender.

The only reason I can see for writing romance arcs that are specifically same gender is to show them facing the unique difficulties homosexuals face in our world. But this isn't based in our world, and I don't see why the Star Wars universe needs to represent those tensions. I personally would find it more inspiring to represent a universe in which someone's sexual preference doesn't unduly impact their lives.

I guess you could also argue that in order to truly have inclusiveness, you have to acknowledge sexuality, and that would mean representing people who are gay, people who are straight, people who are bi, and so on. After all, it's commonly acknowledged now that sexuality is not really a choice, and making every romance bi might give that impression.

I can see that argument, but in a game where you can change your companions' skin color and appearance... In a game where the general point is to morph the story BioWare is telling into the customized story you want to hear... I don't see the harm.

Kioma
12.09.2012 , 05:06 PM | #3965
Quote: Originally Posted by Slaign View Post
I don't see why every companion that's romancable shouldn't be hero-sexual.
The currently existing reason for this seems to be that the writing team thinks that'd be crappy writing. Personally I wouldn't have much (if any) issue with it, but it's the writers that calls the shots there.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Slaign
12.09.2012 , 05:25 PM | #3966
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
The currently existing reason for this seems to be that the writing team thinks that'd be crappy writing. Personally I wouldn't have much (if any) issue with it, but it's the writers that calls the shots there.
As a writer, I can see that point of view. It feels like a shortcut.

As a fan, I don't care if it's a shortcut, it's exactly what I've wanted from SGRAs: Full access to the entire game regardless of my gender choice.

As a humanist, I don't see why it's necessary to write more, romances are already written for the personalities involved, and all that is changing is gender.

natashina
12.09.2012 , 07:11 PM | #3967
Ahh, the warm fuzzy feeling of nostalgia. Those of you that were around prior to March 13th surely understand.

Funny, I just put that very quote up in the either thread. It's probably not a bad thing to keep that handy. I'm sure a lot of people are going to be asking about that. It's understandable to an extent. The poster that talked about it in the General thread was really polite though.

This isn't entirely a bad thing though. These threads are alive and hopping again, for better and for worse. I'm glad we have easy access to all kinds of information. As I've said before, we're well armed with links and quotes. We have to be, given the nature of this topic as well as the treatment of this topic by BW-Austin.

Kioma
12.09.2012 , 10:09 PM | #3968
Quote: Originally Posted by JCisneros View Post
I genuinely think we have to be careful at what we wish for in implemenation of SGR's. We have to be mature and fair about it...and that is going to require a bit of circumspection. It doesn't mean I am going to be soft and apologetic with EA/BW, it just means I will win by being better than them.

~J
In a way I agree but considering how BW:A has been behaving over this whole damn shemozzle (poor jokes in poor taste at the Guild Summit, utter silence for the most part, etc) I'd say that what we wish for in regards to SGRAs probably doesn't have much bearing or weight on what's actually going to happen.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Nozybidaj
12.09.2012 , 10:39 PM | #3969
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
In a way I agree but considering how BW:A has been behaving over this whole damn shemozzle (poor jokes in poor taste at the Guild Summit, utter silence for the most part, etc) I'd say that what we wish for in regards to SGRAs probably doesn't have much bearing or weight on what's actually going to happen.
Agreed. My biggest concern at this point is even if BW were to add this content, I seriously doubt their ability to give us anything even resembling what we have been waiting for.

stuffystuffs
12.09.2012 , 11:04 PM | #3970
Quote: Originally Posted by Nozybidaj View Post
Agreed. My biggest concern at this point is even if BW were to add this content, I seriously doubt their ability to give us anything even resembling what we have been waiting for.
Yeah...

For starters, there's no guarantee that the character I want to do an SGRA on will have an option.

I also fear it will be a few conversations.
Node guarder