Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

amnie's Avatar


amnie
12.09.2012 , 11:01 AM | #3941
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
Spoiler
well, that's more of a 'game problem' than 'lore problem', though.

for example, when I play a chiss imperial agent then I get called 'names' a few times by human imperials, and the sith treat me 'worse' no matter which race.

when I play a chiss smuggler I get called nasty names by imperial humans, too. but it's not because i'm a chiss specifically, but because i'm 'alien'.

you might argue that it doesn't get aknowledged on republic side that I'm an 'uncommon' alien.
HOWEVER... my main is also a smuggler but she is a cyborg...

being a cyborg doesn't get aknowledged in-game period. it wasn't aknowledged on my sith warrior and it wasn't aknowledged on my smuggler.

and cyborgs were seen as 'yucky', less so on the republic, but still. in fact there's a quest on republic side where the quest giver calls them abomination or something ... giving my character WHO IS A CYBORG the quest to make sure these 'evil things' aren't dangerous.... well... derpy derp? (I'm not 100% sure if this was a smuggler quest or a general quest)

amnie's Avatar


amnie
12.09.2012 , 11:06 AM | #3942
Quote: Originally Posted by angrydurf View Post
Can't stand her. Way too much "I'm a rebelous rebel who rebels!"

Spoiler


Also she is in the way of the OTP robosexual love with T7

like I said, many of your 'feelings' seem to be entirely based on your own experiences - and stereotypes.

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
12.09.2012 , 11:10 AM | #3943
Quote: Originally Posted by amnie View Post
and cyborgs were seen as 'yucky', less so on the republic, but still. in fact there's a quest on republic side where the quest giver calls them abomination or something ... giving my character WHO IS A CYBORG the quest to make sure these 'evil things' aren't dangerous.... well... derpy derp? (I'm not 100% sure if this was a smuggler quest or a general quest)
Continued lore-basis for more reasons why my Agent/Imp Officer is self-loathing beyond his own vanity, whoo!

Never mind me.

Also, Chaac, I'm not sure but I think 'preferred players' still get posting privileges (albeit limited), so if you want a synopsis of stuff that's happened, just ask. (I live in the UK and everyone else seems to live the in the US so when I wake up in the morning there's like five pages of posts that I need to read that have apparently also been trimmed so I miss out on loads sometimes.)

And what sort of companion personalities would I like to see? Would be interesting to see more Imperial companions which reflect on life in the Empire, both from the privileged position (i.e. human and purebloods) and from the oppressed positions (aliens, non-Force Sensitive purebloods*, people from the colonies), but preferably without the whole "aliens are meant to be enslaved, lah di dah" and "Imperials are the worst thing ever, OMG" - you can have that, but don't make it the entire focus of their interactions with the PC.

*You can meet a non-Force Sensitive Pureblood on Voss in the Inquisitor storyline and it's interesting but I don't remember it being a terribly detailed exchange.

Lent_San's Avatar


Lent_San
12.09.2012 , 11:17 AM | #3944
Quote: Originally Posted by Chaac View Post
Personally I would love to see a male SGRA companion who was a Mandalorian warrior similar to Torian but a bit older and more battle worn.
Uh, I'd like that. Older and battleworn sounds like an interesting character, and BW always used to be good at creating those. I mean, look at Tharan. He's funny and all, but a little childish and immature and he got on my nerves after a while. Iresso could have been far more interesting in that respect, but he appeared too late in the story and doesn't really have an overly engaging personality. He's nice and I like that, but a little dull. I like the more edgy characters, those with a past, who lived through things. I don't know if that's too much to ask for an MMO with dozens of chars to create, but in my mind it would be quite worth it.

PS: Seems like some of that guy's threads from last night got deleted. Can't believe he's still allowed to post though. He should have been banned after the mayhem he caused yesterday.

PSS: When my sub had run out a few days ago, I could not post here even though I was on 'preferred' status. Whether that had anything to do with threads being cleaned though, I have no idea.

stuffystuffs's Avatar


stuffystuffs
12.09.2012 , 11:46 AM | #3945
Quote: Originally Posted by Chaac View Post
Whilst I can still post I'm curious to know if they were to implement new companions for SGRA's what kind of characters would you want? I think it's fairly safe to say that the majority here wouldn't want these companions to be stereotypical in any way shape or form. Personally I would love to see a male SGRA companion who was a Mandalorian warrior similar to Torian but a bit older and more battle worn.
If we're talking new companions, for females, I would like to see one that isn't your apprentice/padawan/protege/etc.

I know there are some exceptions but that seems quite popular with current female companions for some reason

fabiyun's Avatar


fabiyun
12.09.2012 , 11:54 AM | #3946
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Continued lore-basis for more reasons why my Agent/Imp Officer is self-loathing beyond his own vanity, whoo!

Never mind me.

Also, Chaac, I'm not sure but I think 'preferred players' still get posting privileges (albeit limited), so if you want a synopsis of stuff that's happened, just ask. (I live in the UK and everyone else seems to live the in the US so when I wake up in the morning there's like five pages of posts that I need to read that have apparently also been trimmed so I miss out on loads sometimes.)

And what sort of companion personalities would I like to see? Would be interesting to see more Imperial companions which reflect on life in the Empire, both from the privileged position (i.e. human and purebloods) and from the oppressed positions (aliens, non-Force Sensitive purebloods*, people from the colonies), but preferably without the whole "aliens are meant to be enslaved, lah di dah" and "Imperials are the worst thing ever, OMG" - you can have that, but don't make it the entire focus of their interactions with the PC.

*You can meet a non-Force Sensitive Pureblood on Voss in the Inquisitor storyline and it's interesting but I don't remember it being a terribly detailed exchange.
You're not alone Tatile, I'm across the small pond, and amnie is a little further east from me .

I understand that they refer to the speciesism existing in the SW galaxy, but I don't like how you can not be an actor in that matter. You're always on the side-lines. I could choose the option to say that I don't care the pureblood species go extinct, but it didn't have any in game consequences, not on equal terms as for example picking a dark side option and bombarding a planet. Why can't I make a similar choice when it comes to these dilemmas. You're only ever an actor on the light-dark axis, and not on any other matters :S.

As for SGR (I don't like the abbreviation SS, I also don't like it in other (social) media, it has dark connotations in Europe, please do me a favour everyone and don't use it) companions, I hope that the team will pick up on some of our realities, and not make the same mistakes as with some of the OGR options; ie I don't like to see male privilege, I don't like to see assigned gender and or sexual roles, I don't like to see abusive power relations, and please no speciesism.
Fendris might also be complex, some speciesism there, some slavery issues, but ultimately in the romance they don't play a dominant part. The hero was part in Fenris' ability to break his chains (physical/psychological).
Anders met with a lot of opposition as he couldn't take no for an answer, if they'd like to add another character that doesn't stop, I'd suggest they do it with an androgynous character, it'd likely meet less opposition that way.
I liked Isabella a lot (you can probably tell, but I guess I'm one of the few who enjoyed DA2 probably more than DAO, that's just timing tho, I played DA2 before DAO) and I think that putting in a male version of her ( like some have said Jack Harkness), would be very interesting.
We've seen many issues in this game on different planets. In the books there's also plenty of references to planet and species issues that have all kinds of freedom movements come into play. I wouldn't mind seeing some companions from any of these movements and being able to make a change and a romance in the process of such a story. That might sounds contradictory to what I said earlier, but there is a difference between a romance being determined by a power dynamic based on oppression and a story dealing with these issues and those not affecting the power dynamic.
I need more coffee, perhaps that'd clear things up lol
"..the worst kind of DARTH one can dig up!"

fabiyun's Avatar


fabiyun
12.09.2012 , 12:09 PM | #3947
On another note, it really is time for some clarifications. The fact that even the mods suggested the suggestion box (only to delete threads there), gives me the impression we're still in the same place we were years ago. SGR has not left the drawing board and that's a sad situation seeing the game launched a year ago. :S
It could really help to know where we're at, perhaps the suggestion box is a good place to drop ideas if we're still at that stage, if they're even still coming. Do everyone and yourselves a favour BW Austin, be transparent on this issue.
"..the worst kind of DARTH one can dig up!"

Lent_San's Avatar


Lent_San
12.09.2012 , 12:16 PM | #3948
Quote: Originally Posted by fabiyun View Post
I need more coffee, perhaps that'd clear things up lol
I got you and I fully agree. Imbalanced relationships, there really seem to be too many in SWTOR. Maybe that could change with SGR, may give them incentive to change some of the OGR to be more compelling.

I'd like Iresso to shun my consular for sticking to the Jedi code, for instance. That would be interesting, my toon having to be the pursuer for a change. It would make her reconsider her options, I guess, and that would be interesting. Not a soft little romance with hushed talk of marriage that no-one really knows and cares about, including me.

I can't see her getting married, even if she could. With all the tragedies and drama she's seen, she'd be happy in a relationship with someone who understands, without having to make it conform to a certain standard that doesn't even seem that appropriate for the times our toons are living in.

Chaac's Avatar


Chaac
12.09.2012 , 12:40 PM | #3949
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post

Also, Chaac, I'm not sure but I think 'preferred players' still get posting privileges (albeit limited), so if you want a synopsis of stuff that's happened, just ask. (I live in the UK and everyone else seems to live the in the US so when I wake up in the morning there's like five pages of posts that I need to read that have apparently also been trimmed so I miss out on loads sometimes.)

And what sort of companion personalities would I like to see? Would be interesting to see more Imperial companions which reflect on life in the Empire, both from the privileged position (i.e. human and purebloods) and from the oppressed positions (aliens, non-Force Sensitive purebloods*, people from the colonies), but preferably without the whole "aliens are meant to be enslaved, lah di dah" and "Imperials are the worst thing ever, OMG" - you can have that, but don't make it the entire focus of their interactions with the PC.

*You can meet a non-Force Sensitive Pureblood on Voss in the Inquisitor storyline and it's interesting but I don't remember it being a terribly detailed exchange.
Thanks for the offer, I think I caught up on everything though. I've read all the Glaad stuff which was great to see, I'll be sending my own email tomorrow, read that ridiculous thread last night, luckily it was closed before I got to the end of the thread since I was getting ready to post a hell of a rant before I had even reached page 10. I'm also in the UK so used to missing out on a fair bit as well. Seems unless we go to bed about 4am and get up at like 6am it's almost inevitable something will have been removed :P .

Ah I'll have to see if I can still post or not after it runs out. I can't remember exactly when that is but it should be soon. Absolutley agree about not making it their sole defining feature. I don't mind a bit of "I hate Imperials", but those characters are a ton more interesting when they're more rounded and given other characteristics.


Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
Uh, I'd like that. Older and battleworn sounds like an interesting character, and BW always used to be good at creating those. I mean, look at Tharan. He's funny and all, but a little childish and immature and he got on my nerves after a while. Iresso could have been far more interesting in that respect, but he appeared too late in the story and doesn't really have an overly engaging personality. He's nice and I like that, but a little dull. I like the more edgy characters, those with a past, who lived through things. I don't know if that's too much to ask for an MMO with dozens of chars to create, but in my mind it would be quite worth it.

PS: Seems like some of that guy's threads from last night got deleted. Can't believe he's still allowed to post though. He should have been banned after the mayhem he caused yesterday.

PSS: When my sub had run out a few days ago, I could not post here even though I was on 'preferred' status. Whether that had anything to do with threads being cleaned though, I have no idea.
A great example for the type of companion I'd like is Zaeed Massani from Mass Effect 2/3. He's not a perfect fit due to being a bit of a ******* lol but he's got that seasoned warrior who's actually experienced life down to a tee. Of course it helps that he's voiced by the awesome Robin Sachs which does make me a little biased, seeing as he's easy on the eyes, was awesome in Buffy and was strongly implied to have been more than just Giles friend at some point in their past


Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
If we're talking new companions, for females, I would like to see one that isn't your apprentice/padawan/protege/etc.

I know there are some exceptions but that seems quite popular with current female companions for some reason
For a female companion I would love to see a Miranda Lawson type Agent. Not overly butch, not overly feminine but just a person who is very good at their job, more than capable at fighting and just happens to be female.
Wedge: "I don't like this notion of dovin basal mines that pursue you."
Han: "Me, either. I'm going to draft a strongly worded letter to the Yuuzhan Vong high commander and insist he stop using them."

natashina's Avatar


natashina
12.09.2012 , 12:47 PM | #3950
Not awake. Getting coffee, but I wanted to point this out:

Quote:
Thread:

What ever happened to the Cathar?

Body of the OP:

It was announced a good few months ago that Cathar will become a playable species.
What ever happened to that?


First response:

They talked about it in the livestream not too long ago, to keep it short and sweet. It will take months for it to be implemented.
Okay, my questions, Why is it such a double minded thing to even talk about SGRs.? Why did that bad communication breakdown happen? This is direct and undeniable proof that BW-Austin is more than willing to talk about things months in advance. Which contradicts a lot of what some of the more angry trolls like to claim. "They don't talk about things too far out in advance." I really feel like someone is acting like some of the teachers I had in high school where they chuckle nervously and change the subject the second they aren't comfortable.

It's not against the OP of that thread at all. They seem like passionate players and decent people. Shoot, I'm curious too, but my gods....So many people give us such a hard time for pursuing answers.

They tell us to shut up when we say that it's been over 9 months since any official word and they are still giving the press the runaround. Yet after 7 months, people get nervous if they don't hear about the new race. And they didn't get ignored at the Livestream.

We all know that if they had had the courage to speak up about this on the Livestream, we would have all jumped over that by now.

I'm enjoying the fact there is a new race and Cathars to boot. However, playing a Cathar or not doesn't really change my play style any. As was pointed out, you get a few nasty comments from Pub side and about once a planet my Chiss sniper was called alien scum. It really doesn't change how I playing the game.

SGRs, for myself and others, significantly changes the way we play. After 9 months since any official word at all, I'm pretty mad that this is still being treated so different. When it shouldn't.

Being more watched in the forums (and then some ), but treated exactly as we were 8 months ago by BW-Austin. GLAAD and the emails we sent off really are making a difference, that much is true. We've gotten the word out.

I had some stuff about possible companion sexuality (a topic I genuinely enjoy,) but that'll have to wait until after coffee.

Oh, my word for the day: DOOOOOOOOM! DOOMIE DOOMIE DOOM! This goes for a lot of the threads in General. Must be that the 21st is only 12 days away. End of the world and all that.

Yeah, I spotted several of the Chicken Littles in the forums recently. I hope a piece of sky didn't land on someone's head, since it's falling and all.

*stumbles into her kitchen, squinting at the glare*