Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lent_San
12.09.2012 , 05:41 AM | #3931
Quote: Originally Posted by AelixVII View Post
I'm concerned that if they add new companions for SGR, they will become 'the gay companions'. This could have unfortunate consequences and attract the wrong kind of attention to all this.
For instance...
Scenario 1: if they added a new character called Nilo Jack for Sith Warriors as 'The gay option', people may target this and the odd b*stard on your server may go around picking on players that choose to have Nilo as a companion. 'Dude, you're using the gay companion'. And the addition itself may be seen as negative by players who have suddenly found themselves with the option to acquire the gay companion. The majority won't want to. And they'll use this as an excuse to say 'you have time to add a gay companion I didn't want but didn't have time to fix my warzone lag'.
Scenario 2: They decide to give Malavai Quinn the option for SGR on Sith Warriors. This won't have the same implications. You could run around with Quinn and people won't care if you're using him for heals or are currently romancing him because it won't stick out like a sore thumb. And hell, some people may say 'Oh I always thought he appeared a little bit gay anyway, I'm not surprised'.
I never thought of it that way but I'd have to agree. I would not mind running around with gay companions and people getting the idea that I'm romancing them (since I would) but I do see the possibilty of people trying to mess with you for that. And you ending up having to report people for doing so. That would equate bullying, seriously, and would take all the fun out of the game. I wonder if they thought of that, had the same idea and wether it might influence their writing.

AelixVII
12.09.2012 , 05:48 AM | #3932
Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
I never thought of it that way but I'd have to agree. I would not mind running around with gay companions and people getting the idea that I'm romancing them but I do see the possibilty of people trying to mess with you for that. And you ending up having to report people for doing so. That would equate bullying, seriously, and would take all the fun out of the game, I'd imagine.
Indeed, and even if it didn't happen, I would always feel like a target and I fear it would put a damper on my game play experience. Even when I run around with Torian on my Bounty Hunter I feel this way. They just expect you to use Mako and aren't surprised when you run around with a female BH with Mako either.

One time, I was grouping with some people to do a HC 4 mission on my Agent and I had Vector out, because I always use him. He's my favorite and I hope some day my Agent will get to romance him. (My Agent has already had to turn down Ensign and Kaliyo!) Someone in the group immediately pointed this out to me and asked me why I would use Vector. Perhaps shamefully, I felt I had to respond with 'because he's more of a challenge than using a healing companion' rather than 'because I like Vector and wish to use him'.

Lent_San
12.09.2012 , 06:01 AM | #3933
Quote: Originally Posted by AelixVII View Post
Indeed, and even if it didn't happen, I would always feel like a target and I fear it would put a damper on my game play experience. Even when I run around with Torian on my Bounty Hunter I feel this way. They just expect you to use Mako and aren't surprised when you run around with a female BH with Mako either.
One time, I was grouping with some people to do a HC 4 mission on my Agent and I had Vector out, because I always use him. He's my favorite and I hope some day my Agent will get to romance him. (My Agent has already had to turn down Ensign and Kaliyo!) Someone in the group immediately pointed this out to me and asked me why I would use Vector. Perhaps shamefully, I felt I had to respond with 'because he's more of a challenge than using a healing companion' rather than 'because I like Vector and wish to use him'.
I guess I could handle their attacks since I'm not gay in real life and be like "yeah, whatever", but I'd imagine as a gay person that would be much more tough to do. Not sure what to think of that. I wouldn't want to cave in to harrassment but I also wouldn't want my gaming experience to be ruined like it possibly could. Not sure. I guess I'd hope for people to be acting as grown-ups, like they should.

Tatile
12.09.2012 , 06:11 AM | #3934
I guess I could handle their attacks since I'm not gay in real life and be like "yeah, whatever", but I'd imagine as a gay person that would be much more tough to do. Not sure what to think of that. I wouldn't want to cave in to harrassment but I also wouldn't want my gaming experience to be ruined like it possibly could. Not sure. I guess I'd hope for people to be acting as grown-ups, like they should.
You need to remember that as this is a game, nothing is real, but everything has extremely serious consequences all of the time.

You play a game for fun, but all of your actions must have deep philosophical meaning behind them, wherein you have balanced the fates of worlds. You simply cannot make choices based on a whim or because you 'think it's fun'.

I can't even continue, this is ludicrous.

The idea of having a token 'gay companion' is problematic on a number of levels, but Aelix, I think I have to agree with you that having a token would be used to bully people. Hopefully Bioware have thought about this and won't just dump one token gay and one token lesbian and leave it at that.

Lent_San
12.09.2012 , 08:32 AM | #3935
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
The idea of having a token 'gay companion' is problematic on a number of levels, but Aelix, I think I have to agree with you that having a token would be used to bully people. Hopefully Bioware have thought about this and won't just dump one token gay and one token lesbian and leave it at that.
It's also just lazy. As a gay person, you don't fall in love with another person just because he or she is gay, just like heteros don't fall in love with whomever of the opposite sex. If they were to reduce it to that, well, it wouldn't be good for a number of reasons, just like was being stated.

Tatile
12.09.2012 , 08:36 AM | #3936
It's also just lazy. As a gay person, you don't fall in love with another person just because he or she is gay, just like heteros don't fall in love with whomever of the opposite sex.
A point most opponents of this content seem to conveniently forget, unless, of course, they DO attempt to pursue relationships with anyone of the opposite sex to them, regardless of that person's preferences or relationship status, in which case that is not respectful nor a good basis for comparison.

Also that's just really creepy.

"I love you because breasts."

fabiyun
12.09.2012 , 09:59 AM | #3937
As for "the gay companions". BW Austin would just have to make sure that they'd be so awesome everyone would have them. And I see a great opportunity for an awareness event.
If at present it is experienced to be looked upon with a frown for walking with a same sex companion, then whatever BW will do is not going to matter. You're going to have to stand up for yourself, use the report and ignore functions and enjoy the game. That can be tough, but it's something that needs to be learned in this life.
"..the worst kind of DARTH one can dig up!"

Tatile
12.09.2012 , 10:09 AM | #3938
Quote: Originally Posted by fabiyun View Post
As for "the gay companions". BW Austin would just have to make sure that they'd be so awesome everyone would have them. And I see a great opportunity for an awareness event.
Hell, if Bioware want to do an awareness event, release SGRA's then do a couple of tie-in columns in gaming magazines about LGBT representation in video games and how they're so 'progressive', earning them more gay points.

Gay points can be exchanged for money.

Lent_San
12.09.2012 , 10:13 AM | #3939
Quote: Originally Posted by fabiyun View Post
As for "the gay companions". BW Austin would just have to make sure that they'd be so awesome everyone would have them.
I can already see the homophobes whining "They force the gay dude on me, because he's too awesome not to use, boohoo....".

That would be highly amusing, I must say.

But yeah, art changes hearts and minds, so it would be a good opportunity indeed.

Chaac
12.09.2012 , 10:47 AM | #3940
Well that's the last time I go on holiday. Judging by the sheer amount of reading I had to catch up on last night and today, all the interesting stuff happens when I'm not around ;P.

My sub is due to run out in a few days and I'm not gonna resub for now, expensive month with Christmas so close and since the SGRA's aren't here yet saving that little bit from the sub will be handy.

Whilst I can still post I'm curious to know if they were to implement new companions for SGRA's what kind of characters would you want? I think it's fairly safe to say that the majority here wouldn't want these companions to be stereotypical in any way shape or form. Personally I would love to see a male SGRA companion who was a Mandalorian warrior similar to Torian but a bit older and more battle worn.
Wedge: "I don't like this notion of dovin basal mines that pursue you."
Han: "Me, either. I'm going to draft a strongly worded letter to the Yuuzhan Vong high commander and insist he stop using them."