Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

fabiyun
12.07.2012 , 08:07 AM | #3801
Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
I do think out there are many more people that support this cause than we think, they're just not posting here. I do think a well moderated FB page could be worth thinking about, but it would need constant moderation. FB was made for trolling, it really sometimes seems that way. Gotta rush to work now, argh.
I've also thrown going to FB in. If we do that we need should go the dual way, have an open page, perhaps take turns moderating it, and a closed group, where we can let of some steam amongst our own (we can invite avid supporters). The good thing about FB though is that it's more easily moderated, you can report posts, and hate speech is in there (I've unfortunately have had to deal with hate speech on my wall) and there are serious consequences to it, whoever posts hateful stuff will get a warning in their email and it can quite easily lead to account suspension. Facebook thankfully doesn't hide behind "but it's the internet!".

Addit: Another good thing about an FB page is that if you've got moderating privileges for it, you can post in name of the page, and can keep your personal accounts out of it. I know some people are understandably concerned about the hate speech they might get on their personal timelines, but we can have a fairly large group of elevated privileges to keep your identity safe.

Addit2: I don't have twitter; has anyone thought of tweeting @sera_brennan?
"..the worst kind of DARTH one can dig up!"

gjpelrine
12.07.2012 , 08:20 AM | #3802
Quote: Originally Posted by blooddodo View Post
Provide link to relevant information, please.
Anyone have the quote from the guild summit where they specifically said this year , I'm getting ready for work and don't have time to look for it.

fabiyun
12.07.2012 , 08:27 AM | #3803
Quote: Originally Posted by gjpelrine View Post
Anyone have the quote from the guild summit where they specifically said this year , I'm getting ready for work and don't have time to look for it.
From the SGR Timeline:
Quote: Originally Posted by Daniel Erickson
It is coming and it is coming with story updates. It is something that depends on the writers and we want to do right, and writers have a long lead time. We did not want to just change all the dialogue for the other gender. That is not writing, that is not story telling. This was cut originally because of budget and time issues. We have designs, we know what romance options we want to put in for this. It is coming when full story comes, and full story is coming this year. We are still on track.
"..the worst kind of DARTH one can dig up!"

natashina
12.07.2012 , 09:48 AM | #3804
Another of those days...

For those asking for a link to the Daniel Erickson quote from the Guild Summit, I'll just post the video.

Edit: FAQ has been updated with the video link.

stuffystuffs
12.07.2012 , 10:08 AM | #3805
Quote: Originally Posted by Galbatorrix View Post
SGRA - Bioware states that they are coming, but they aren't sure exactly when.

Space Project - Bioware states that it's coming, but they don't know exactly when.

Level increase - Bioware states that it's coming, but they don't know exactly when.

Mekeb - Bioware states that it's coming, but they don't know exactly when.

Chapter 4 -Bioware states that it's coming, but they don't know exactly when.

There are tons of features that Bioware has stated are in the works that they don't have a firm date for.
That's not really the issue (for me at least).

The problem is: they won't answer simple questions such as "Can I complete SGRA content with a level 50 character or do I have to re-roll?" or "Will SGRA content be available for each class/gender combination?"

This lack of knowledge is possibly preventing people from playing characters.

Those aren't issues for the other items mentioned (Ch. 4, Makeb, level increase will obviously be with level 50s and will be available to each class/gender....Space Missions can be completed at any level and are available to all).

I really don't need a hard ETA but knowing how to prepare my characters would be nice.
Node guarder

Nucairion
12.07.2012 , 10:22 AM | #3806
i think many people here are looking to hard into the idea that bw/ea are not implementing SGR'S yet for reason of homosexuality or wotever and failing to look at the more obvious reason. firstly if bw/ea were leaving it out for that reason me series and dragon age 1-2 wouldnt have had them in either.

the main reason they havnt come yet is because of writer staff changes and also trying to decide how to implement them. some seem to think its just an easy thing to add buts its not. IF they go down the root of adding SGR to the current companions they will have to get every voice actor/actress into the studio to record new content specifically for this. then they have to implement it into the coding. then they have to find out a way to think how are we going to get are playerbase who have hit lvl 50 already and don the companion quests able to maybe change there relationship now they have the option to romance the companion they may have wanted to but couldnt coz of the lack of SGR'S. it is also possible that they may decide only to add it to new companions that will surely come in the future making it easier to all people to utilize it if they wish by ending a relationship is possible to romance a new companion thats the same gender so theres many reasons why this hasnt added yet.

the last possible reason could be that they didnt expect to go f2p or at least go ftp so early so it have pushed back a timetable im sure they had for things meaning others got delayed indefinatly.

but to sum up i doubt the reasons people here are suggesting are true, there has also been protests from parents who are clearly against such relationships not wanting there kids exposed to it but are quite happy if there kids are sith to be torturing and murdering people but be dammed if there kids are playing a game that has SGR like they have to play it and a good parent would monter wot the young kid is doing anyway. this is just my thoughts tho
Voyseiri - 50 vanguard, Zi'Kino - 50 sentinal, Nosrionel - 50 gunslinger, Libieso - 50 shadow, Llorak - 50 powertech, Mibanax 50 - Sorc, Reiqui - 50 Juggernaut and a few lowbies

WolfSp
12.07.2012 , 10:35 AM | #3807
I have to say, its a noble thing you try to achieve here. Although i am dead straight i still regard this as absolutely neccessary! Good luck on the cause.

Galbatorrix
12.07.2012 , 10:42 AM | #3808
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
That's not really the issue (for me at least).

The problem is: they won't answer simple questions such as "Can I complete SGRA content with a level 50 character or do I have to re-roll?" or "Will SGRA content be available for each class/gender combination?"

This lack of knowledge is possibly preventing people from playing characters.

Those aren't issues for the other items mentioned (Ch. 4, Makeb, level increase will obviously be with level 50s and will be available to each class/gender....Space Missions can be completed at any level and are available to all).

I really don't need a hard ETA but knowing how to prepare my characters would be nice.

They likely don't know yet. I mean, if I asked if my existing ship parts would work for the secret space project, or will I need new ones, do you think they would answer? Even if they did know the answer, most new content (like SGR) is kept under wraps for a reason. They don't want anyone to beat them to the punch on ideas until they're able to really show what they're bringing out and also when they're going to do so. A lot of people want answers about content they're waiting on. Bioware isn't giving ANYONE answers because no company EVER does until they can. What you're asking for really is unreasonable. I'm not saying not to ask for updates, because people do that with all upcoming features, but the fact that you're writing in to activist groups for answers that Bioware likely have NDA's on is ridiculous.

And to the person saying SGR was coming in 2012, they also said Makeb, level cap increase, etc was coming this year and since it's December and those things aren't on the test server, it doesn't look like it's going to happen. Which doesn't mean it's never going to. Just like with SGR, it will likely happen at some point. People need to be patient.

Also, if you're not playing the game because of this feature, you're missing out over nothing. The romances are very poorly done. Spend 100K on gifts, max out the affection and then you get 3 or 4 scenes where you kiss and say that you love the other person. It's literally less than 5 minutes.

Ellianshia
12.07.2012 , 11:04 AM | #3809
They likely don't know yet. I mean, if I asked if my existing ship parts would work for the secret space project, or will I need new ones, do you think they would answer? Even if they did know the answer, most new content (like SGR) is kept under wraps for a reason. They don't want anyone to beat them to the punch on ideas until they're able to really show what they're bringing out and also when they're going to do so. A lot of people want answers about content they're waiting on. Bioware isn't giving ANYONE answers because no company EVER does until they can. What you're asking for really is unreasonable. I'm not saying not to ask for updates, because people do that with all upcoming features, but the fact that you're writing in to activist groups for answers that Bioware likely have NDA's on is ridiculous.

And to the person saying SGR was coming in 2012, they also said Makeb, level cap increase, etc was coming this year and since it's December and those things aren't on the test server, it doesn't look like it's going to happen. Which doesn't mean it's never going to. Just like with SGR, it will likely happen at some point. People need to be patient.

Also, if you're not playing the game because of this feature, you're missing out over nothing. The romances are very poorly done. Spend 100K on gifts, max out the affection and then you get 3 or 4 scenes where you kiss and say that you love the other person. It's literally less than 5 minutes.
Yes, they're not telling us things because a bunch of other MMOs that have companion romances will pick that idea up and do it the same way. Oh wait... there aren't a bunch of other MMOs that have companion romances. In fact, I can't even think of one. That said, there aren't a bunch of other MMOs that have space missions either... or Makeb... An increase to level cap is a pretty straightforward thing too. There's no point of an NDA in the first place.

I can understand not wanting to put out spoilers. Heck, all of us can, but the fact is, it IS preventing us from playing right now. Your opinion on companion romances is just that... your opinion. I tried a companion romance on my IA with Vector... and I definitely enjoyed the whole thing. Was it 5 minutes? Maybe... did I enjoy it any less because it was only 5 minutes? I doubt it. I'm even looking forward to story updates because it's likely to have even more stuff to play with Vector.

Do I want to romance Kira without making a male JK? DUH... of course I do, Kira is the companion I liked the most out of the whole lot. Do I want to romance Jaesa without making a male character for it? Damn straight I do. Do I like any of the other male romance options? Hell no. For some reason, a bunch of them are a bit too... in your face enthusiastic for my liking. Not knowing how said romances would pan out means that I have no option but not to play my characters until some clarification is given. And truthfully, if they have no idea how they're making it happen at this point, they might as well come out and say that SGRAs won't be coming out until the end of next year so people can stop worrying about it, because that's probably how long it would take if they're still at the planning stage and haven't done any actual recording, story writing, coding for it.

stuffystuffs
12.07.2012 , 11:07 AM | #3810
They likely don't know yet.
Why can't they tell us that?

Though, assuming they have been working on this content, I find that hard to believe.

I mean, if I asked if my existing ship parts would work for the secret space project, or will I need new ones, do you think they would answer?
Does that prevent you from leveling characters?

I'm not saying that they need to give every detail but answering some questions (like, when in the story will these be introduced? Future or retro-active content?) is needed when trying to determine if you should level characters or wait.

Even if they did know the answer, most new content (like SGR) is kept under wraps for a reason. They don't want anyone to beat them to the punch on ideas until they're able to really show what they're bringing out and also when they're going to do so. A lot of people want answers about content they're waiting on. Bioware isn't giving ANYONE answers because no company EVER does until they can.
Again, I'm talking about simple questions like "Will all classes have this option?" or "At what point in the story?"....they don't need to give details so no one can 'steal their ideas' or whatever.

You cannot compare this to the other content people are asking for b/c, as I've mentioned, that stuff will most definitely be available for each class/gender and level 50 characters won't miss out on it...that's taken for granted. Of course, BW won't give specific details on this stuff either...but I don't need specific details on SGRA either...just general knowledge on how to prepare a character for it.

I want clarification on some of these things that would prevent me from leveling (or if I do level, could prevent me from experiencing SGRA content). I don't need an ETA and I don't need this to be implemented now. I can wait.

Well, lots of people apparently feel the need to complete them (and BW feels the need to promote them all over FB and their site) so there must be something worthwhile there.
Node guarder