Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

natashina
12.05.2012 , 05:25 PM | #3711
Quote: Originally Posted by fabiyun View Post
^That! It's really not about the content of posts, it's about visibility.
And we can't make comments for or about GLAAD, they do their part. We do ours. And that is telling BW what is needed. Be visible. Make noise. Nothing more to it.
I will, but man...what a thing to wake up to.

It's nice to see some small results of our work already. Let's keep the emails/messages coming guys! If you get a response from GLAAD, throw it up here. Facebook seems to be the way to get to them the quickest. There has been some outright touching and beautiful letters here, and they need to be said.

If you (general) want to contact GLAAD and try to get clarifications for this answer (hence the thread title to whomever is lurking,) here is the information: http://www.glaad.org/contact

natashina
12.05.2012 , 05:40 PM | #3712
I'm either crazy or a masochist. I decided to put this up in Uluain's thread:

Okay, I think I'm just awake enough to do this.

Say that a new Battlefield game was coming out that was not able to offer multiplayer at launch, but it was going to be available as a free DLC later.

Then, for better part of a year, they don't talk about it and dodge any/all questions about it.

Then all the employees that talked about this content are gone and the players are still left without a word.

Then a thread is started, understandably looking for an answer.

You are told over and over again that only a small percentage of the playerbase wants multiplayer, and the game has more important things to work on. I'm betting the percentage of players in this example isn't as small as others might think.

Wouldn't you(general term,) want to find out the answer after nine months? Even if it was no/delayed/scrapped/has an ETA? At least something.

As a customer, I feel deceived by EA/BW. That's why I'm taking the route I have.

Please, join us in writing to GLAAD and other sites. Let's try to get some answers!

I am prepared for it to possibly be a "No," so long as they publicity come and tell us such.

Publicity is the key word here.

They haven't said a word on a public scale since March. Nine months is a very long time in the world of MMOs. The LGBTQ posters don't necessarily want this right now, they just want an official word from BW/EA.

We are players too and I for one would like to see the Win-32 memory leak crashes get fixed first. I'm all about bug fixes before new content, no matter what it is.

I don't think an official and public word is too much to ask.

JCisneros
12.05.2012 , 06:32 PM | #3713
*carefully worded*

What happened while I was at dinner?

~JC

natashina
12.05.2012 , 06:37 PM | #3714
We decided to take this back into the fray, aka the General Forums. We've begun posting in Uluain's "Did I hear this right?" thread.

I'll be the first to admit that I won't be posting there often. It isn't good for my blood pressure or Doup's.

I've been addressing a few points here and there. One of my favorites was, "There is no examples of gay relationships in the Star Wars IP." Yeah, I quickly disproved that.

I also mentioned the whole thing on Battlefield. I honestly don't think the detractors and trolls (which I consider two different things,) have any room to speak without looking really bad.

Detractor =Someone opposed to the content, but with a level headed approach and at least a little respectful in their responses.

Troll=Someone opposed to the content that is disrespectful and destructive with their posts.

Hmm, would the whole, "gays aren't in SW" qualify as "You're arguing with opinions instead of facts?"

In that case, I call BINGO!

And it's only Wednesday.

QwibQwib
12.05.2012 , 06:46 PM | #3715
Even if "gays weren't in Star Wars ever" was the case. it wouldn't really apply. It would have to start somewhere, and they already said they'd go through with it. Besides, BioWare's done stuff with things that weren't their IP before. *cough* Juhani.

gjpelrine
12.05.2012 , 06:49 PM | #3716
Just wanted to pop in and say I emailed GLAAD to lend my support for this issue. I was a beta tester and subscriber that came to SWTOR only because of the promise of same sex romance options and the positive experiences I've had with previous Bioware games. I unsubscribed a few months after release because of the way this issue was being treated and I'm back to see that not much has changed.

The only reason my partner and I even came back is because we were not happy with that other mmo anymore and wanted a change. Its not all bad though, we were recently able to join a LGBT friendly guild with our Imperial characters on Jedi Covenant that has been a positive experience for both of us.

Honestly if same sex content is still on the board I don't mind waiting, I am enjoying the game for what it is right now, but if they have decided no to include it anymore I will unsubscribe, I won't continue to give money to a company that strung me along and milked me for my hard earned cash with empty promises.

natashina
12.05.2012 , 06:51 PM | #3717
Quote: Originally Posted by QwibQwib View Post
Even if "gays weren't in Star Wars ever" was the case. it wouldn't really apply. It would have to start somewhere, and they already said they'd go through with it. Besides, BioWare's done stuff with things that weren't their IP before. *cough* Juhani.
If you ever need further ammo, check out the FAQ. That's where I got my information to copy about SGRs in Star Wars.

I like how the good ol' chestnut has returned: "Disney would never allow SGRs."

Thanks to some of the confusing policies, I'm not allowed to add links or quotes to back up the counterpoint.

Nozybidaj
12.05.2012 , 06:52 PM | #3718
Quote: Originally Posted by Ellianshia View Post
While the company in question got some backlash about the quality of the product they produced, it wasn't nearly as high as Bioware is getting... even in this thread only.
Companies only do that when they care about their customers beyond how much money they can squeeze from their wallets. There is a reason EA got the Worst Company in the US award.

natashina
12.05.2012 , 06:58 PM | #3719
Quote: Originally Posted by gjpelrine View Post
Just wanted to pop in and say I emailed GLAAD to lend my support for this issue. I was a beta tester and subscriber that came to SWTOR only because of the promise of same sex romance options and the positive experiences I've had with previous Bioware games. I unsubscribed a few months after release because of the way this issue was being treated and I'm back to see that not much has changed.

The only reason my partner and I even came back is because we were not happy with that other mmo anymore and wanted a change. Its not all bad though, we were recently able to join a LGBT friendly guild with our Imperial characters on Jedi Covenant that has been a positive experience for both of us.

Honestly if same sex content is still on the board I don't mind waiting, I am enjoying the game for what it is right now, but if they have decided no to include it anymore I will unsubscribe, I won't continue to give money to a company that strung me along and milked me for my hard earned cash with empty promises.
Thanks for emailing GLAAD! Make sure you send them a message via FB too.

Since we now have some more lurkers in the thread, I'll post both messages I've gotten from GLAAD in the last 24 hours:

This was from last night:

Quote: Originally Posted by GLAAD
Hi Real Name,
I have passed this on to our Entertainment team, and they are looking into it.
Thanks!

And then this message from this afternoon:

Quote: Originally Posted by GLAAD
Hi!
Thanks for your message. We reached out again today to EA/BioWare for more information on this.
Thanks!
Emphasis on the word again mine. I have a sneaky feeling EAware is trying to dodge them. I sent them an email as well as a Facebook message and the FB message got a very quick hit.

I wouldn't be too terribly surprised if we got an article and/or official statement by the end of the weekend at the most.

AshenOne
12.05.2012 , 07:06 PM | #3720
I just want to say thank you to everyone who has kept this thread going. I tend to be a lurker mostly, but it has always been nice to check on this thread and remind myself I am not alone in feeling marginalized by the heteronormative environment of this game. It would be really nice to feel like I was free to play the character I want to play as I expected when I pre-ordered my copy.